Login

Studer J37 is the type i am seeking

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Studer J37 is the type i am seeking

Postby billzoe11 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 am

Any 3rd Party or Native Models of Studer J37 Tape unit, yes of Sgt Pepper fame, or a similar PRO Studio unit. All tube, HQ, 1/2" or larger. 7-30 ips.
billzoe11
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Studer J37 is the type i am seeking

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Was it a J37 or a C37? I remember that the
Beatles and early Motown records were recorded
on a C37.
dpclarkson

Postby billzoe11 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Not sure - i just new it was a Tube Studer and Googled it and J37 is what i found - but it could be wrong. Its prob HARD to obtain a working one (prob 10k or [way] more to restore. Sure would be NICE ! IMO the sound on Sgt Pepper era is better than latter Beatle Lps done on the SS Desk and Tape (those are fine, but not MY style).

So 2 Wishlists would be:
-Tube Studer (or Pro AMpex Tube)
-Tube Redd Console (that i know is avail - Abbey Road and or Lenny Kravitz still has one, rebuilt)

Unobtainium:
-Model of Tube Vinyl Chain from Input > Pultec RIAA EQs>Comps>Lathe>Medium...
billzoe11
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:31 am

Would be good if someone could sample a studer at 7.5 ips , I love that sound! a good tape machine at slow speed rocks!!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Owen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:37 am

According to THE BOOK, which I really recommend and I'm not even really much of a Beatles fan, C37, J37 and A80 were the three Studers used.

AFAIK we have an A80 in the original Acusticaudio library (sampled by Mirco if I recall correctly), but that was a long time ago, when sampling was *a lot harder* than it is now, some Nebula features were more primitive and as a result probably pales in comparision to what Michael has sampled. That's not to say it doesn't do something nice to your signal.

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Owen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:45 am

FYI - It has been asked before, about Abbey Road Studios. We a) have no agreement of any sort with them b) from other things that have transpired, they have an interest in operating a studio and letting us sample the essence of what they have competes with that interest ergo - we're not likely to see equipment or physical spaces that are actually at their premises or in their possesion in our library. That's not to say any E*I equipment outside of their control might not be available for sampling, but obviously this would require access to it etc. Strangely, not many of us speak with Lenny :lol: I dare say he may feel safer that way......

Speaking of Abbey Road, I belive Ken Scott has a new book coming out (of which I am in no way affiliated), which may even tell us all about more tape related geekery.

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby yr » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 am

You could try the (partly) Nebulized 351 emulation. Not the real thing of course, but it sounds nice on some sources. Try the "open & big" preset on strings for some interesting coloration.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Return to 3rd party libraries