Login

analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Postby himhui » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:24 am

The Glue is not bad but it really blurs the low end as above said especially when it compresses deeper..... I've quited using those emulated analog comp since nebula appeared. For clean, transparent and natural sound, I only use the comp and eq of Sawstudio (it's really amazing), the rest must be "Nebula"!!
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:31 pm

SWAN wrote:The Glue is definitely good when it comes to plugin compression - but I had a Gyraf S*L which I compared to and it doesnt provide the same presence, clarity or hold the bass together as well as the hardware. The hardware moulds around the sound and punches it especially the low-mid and bass - the plugin puts a veil over the sound and makes it slightly weaker and less convincing. Its subtle in most of the demos - but you really notice it when he makes examples with slower attack values and heavier compression settings.... You might observe that his demos are usually relatively short attack times which make this less obvious...shame as the most common setting does seem to be the 30ms attack over a buss....
Its still a good plugin with great value and Andy is a top bloke but IMO not up to the hype that people give it compared to hardware. I actually preferred UAD version! Better handling of the bass freq....
Ive toyed with I think almost every plugin compressor but in the end I discard them all for important tasks and saved up for hardware. Of course you can do a very good mix with plugins-just if you are anal about sound and punch I prefer hardware...however - Nebula seems the closest yet and different to algo (as usual)...

I hear that. Like I said, the prospect of compressors being more completely modeled in Nebula is my number one feature request.

Interestingly, there was a thread on the UAD forums recently where the UAD users almost unanimously chose the Glue over the UAD variant; but it comes down to taste, they're both examples of "almost but not quite".
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby everbeatz » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:27 pm

I agree with Swan about algo-compressors. Maybe I'm wrong, but what lacks in most, or should I say all ITB compressors, is frequency/phase response compared to hardware counterparts - to me THAT is what determines the character of certain gear, apart from harmonic distortion of course. I analyzed most of ITB comps and when it comes to freq/phase response they're all alike - totally flat line. I know that most of gear designers aimed to make something completely transparent in terms of frequency and phase, but using that kind of transparency implemented in ITB compressors doesn't work for me.

It's really a shame that people fall for "analog GUIs" - seems that's what sells most of the time
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Plec » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:37 pm

This thing is gorgeous!

Try it on the mixbus just a tad.. like ratio 1.5 and 1db. It's a very colored beast so it doesn't fit all, but when it fits the material... WOW!
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby SWAN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Plec wrote:This thing is gorgeous!

Try it on the mixbus just a tad.. like ratio 1.5 and 1db. It's a very colored beast so it doesn't fit all, but when it fits the material... WOW!

yes this is precisely my experience - although I might stray to even 1.5 GR ;)...

Just tightens the mix...and for mastering I got a nice result by following FATE with another compressor with a slow 30ms attack taking another little 1-2db bite - very professional sound... 8-)
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby filterfilter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:01 pm

I bought it today, sadly I lost my customer-pass, so I can´t download it. I emailed to analoginthebox already, but didn´t get a new pass jet. So, if Velinas is online, would you please contact me?

thank you...

Everything fine now! Brilliant comp!!
Last edited by filterfilter on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
filterfilter
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby highvoltage » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:20 pm

everlast wrote:I agree with Swan about algo-compressors. Maybe I'm wrong, but what lacks in most, or should I say all ITB compressors, is frequency/phase response compared to hardware counterparts - to me THAT is what determines the character of certain gear, apart from harmonic distortion of course. I analyzed most of ITB comps and when it comes to freq/phase response they're all alike - totally flat line. I know that most of gear designers aimed to make something completely transparent in terms of frequency and phase, but using that kind of transparency implemented in ITB compressors doesn't work for me.

It's really a shame that people fall for "analog GUIs" - seems that's what sells most of the time

Actually i think the arts acoustic CL series compressor tries to do something like that, and it has a distrinct phasey transient sounds, which sounds cool on some stuff, but i think its an example of overdoing such an effect. Try the demo if you havent.

Also the voxengo Marquis comp has a phasey response function.

Although i totally agree on this. You put an ITB compressor on and it sounds flat/plastic. I love that little smearing with nebula compressors.
highvoltage

Postby everbeatz » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:43 pm

highvoltage wrote:Actually i think the arts acoustic CL series compressor tries to do something like that, and it has a distrinct phasey transient sounds, which sounds cool on some stuff, but i think its an example of overdoing such an effect. Try the demo if you havent.

Also the voxengo Marquis comp has a phasey response function.

Although i totally agree on this. You put an ITB compressor on and it sounds flat/plastic. I love that little smearing with nebula compressors.

I haven't checked Arts Acoustic comp.

I agree there are some examples of ITB comps that "try" to model analog characteristics of phase and freq response, but those are still "lab versions" of how proper modeling should be like.

I've read one Casey's (Bricasti developer) comment about modeling a proper non-linear device in digital - he basically says that sample rate should be around 2Mhz, cos digital code becomes fragile at lower sample rates - especially when it comes to compressors or any other distortion device. I assume the main thing/problem is about aliasing, generating DC offset and proper signal reconstruction that's a struggle for most non-linear processes at standard 44.1k. Analog signal is continuous so raising the sample rate in digital can help to some extent for better/more genuine emulations - CPU power is still problem I suppose...
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby scooter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:44 am

Plec wrote:This thing is gorgeous!

Anymore than that and it starts to sound strange.
This thing is a bit of a one trick pony until we see CORE III for Nebula.

It sure is a pretty pony! :D
-Scott
scooter

Postby Plec » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:01 am

Yeah, I think you will find a lot more use for it as a bus or channel compressor. Just had a very very nice experience with it on acoustic guitar bus.

But for whole mixes, it certainly is a one trick pony... as is the hardware mind you. :lol:
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries