Login

analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Postby Plec » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:12 pm

That's some serious vibe!

I swear.. first "plugin" compressor I've ever tried that actually sounds analog!
Plec
User Level III
User Level III

Postby BLUESMAN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:30 am

This is the best softcomp, I have heard.
Thank you.
BLUESMAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby AlexB » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:33 am

I have downloaded and tried the demo... Inserted in the mixbuss in my acoustic mix with very little compression (-1dB) and...

WOW ! Finally I can listen the music without to break my ears ! :mrgreen:

Great work Velinas, congrats !

It's very pleasant to my ears, round and open sounding.
I'm a purist and this is the best compressor for DAW I have heard and compared to Waves V-Comp and UAD33609 the Fate Comp is another planet. 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:35 am

Since the attack and release accuracy appears to be suffering with CORE II, I'm sure that an accurate LA2A is a long ways off.

futur2 wrote:
analoginthebox.com wrote:It's sad I can't create a nice emulation of 1176, LA2A, S*L G series bus compressor and many more goodies that are waiting here to be sampled. Nebula is not ready for them yet.

:shock: :cry:

i really want an LA2A! wonder how we can talk giancarlo into giving this top priority :P
-Scott
scooter

Postby SWAN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:23 am

The S*L Bus comp - cannot that be sampled with simple settings? I understand auto-release and fast attack times are difficult - but the common S*L bus setting with 30ms attack and a fastish 'set' release for a master or drum buss - surely that could be made to similar quality as Fate? You could almost release a nice little 'Aqua-MasterBuss' Comp plugin with 30ms and 10ms attack and 2 release options?!!! It would sell like hotcakes (everyone loves the S*L) and broaden the Nebula concept...

Maybe I sound a little over-excited....I just am keen to see more! And interested to understand the technological hitches...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:17 am

I just downloaded the DEMO and was floored by how good it sounded and Compressed!

Here a link to a song I just recorded with a local JazZ Orchestra: DOWNLOAD
http://rcpt.yousendit.com/962778659/70b544767b3cb46cd5f7313a157cbf7d

It's 2 files, each one is 24bit 441khz WAV files.
#1 is the original file with no compression on the track what so ever, which equals a hugely dynamic performance.
The second #2 of course is the Fate Compressor. Enjoy!

I tried a bunch of different compressors on this track and so far the only ITB comp that was worthy was the DEMO version of the Fate Comp.

So yeah... I bought it! :-)

EDIT: Woops! Wrong link! UPDATED :-)
Last edited by scooter on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Scott
scooter

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:00 am

SWAN wrote:The S*L Bus comp - cannot that be sampled with simple settings? I understand auto-release and fast attack times are difficult - but the common S*L bus setting with 30ms attack and a fastish 'set' release for a master or drum buss - surely that could be made to similar quality as Fate? You could almost release a nice little 'Aqua-MasterBuss' Comp plugin with 30ms and 10ms attack and 2 release options?!!! It would sell like hotcakes (everyone loves the S*L) and broaden the Nebula concept...

Maybe I sound a little over-excited....I just am keen to see more! And interested to understand the technological hitches...

I think fast is the problem; maybe some of the slower settings could be done currently but it's a hard sell for a developer to spend that much time making programs being limited only to slow attack/release; the 2254 is better suited to that limitation.

But I definitely hear you, the thought of more fabulous compressors like Fate is pretty tempting. I would daresay the most valuable possible feature request to a guy like me.

In the meanwhile, I'm very happy with The Glue for S*L style compression, it's about the only non-Nebula plugin that makes it into every single mix. I don't own a G comp but Andy from Cytomic did some A/Bs with the hardware and it sounds really, really close.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:32 am

I'm asking myself the same thing as SWAN. And hey..the N**e has an attack time of 5ms, which is very fast. I'm sure everyone here would be happy with other compressors, even if they're sampled with limited settings (e.g. not the fastest release).

We want the tone! 8-)

Postby SWAN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:46 am

ngarjuna wrote:I think fast is the problem; maybe some of the slower settings could be done currently but it's a hard sell for a developer to spend that much time making programs being limited only to slow attack/release; the 2254 is better suited to that limitation.

But I definitely hear you, the thought of more fabulous compressors like Fate is pretty tempting. I would daresay the most valuable possible feature request to a guy like me.

In the meanwhile, I'm very happy with The Glue for S*L style compression, it's about the only non-Nebula plugin that makes it into every single mix. I don't own a G comp but Andy from Cytomic did some A/Bs with the hardware and it sounds really, really close.

The Glue is definitely good when it comes to plugin compression - but I had a Gyraf S*L which I compared to and it doesnt provide the same presence, clarity or hold the bass together as well as the hardware. The hardware moulds around the sound and punches it especially the low-mid and bass - the plugin puts a veil over the sound and makes it slightly weaker and less convincing. Its subtle in most of the demos - but you really notice it when he makes examples with slower attack values and heavier compression settings.... You might observe that his demos are usually relatively short attack times which make this less obvious...shame as the most common setting does seem to be the 30ms attack over a buss....
Its still a good plugin with great value and Andy is a top bloke but IMO not up to the hype that people give it compared to hardware. I actually preferred UAD version! Better handling of the bass freq....
Ive toyed with I think almost every plugin compressor but in the end I discard them all for important tasks and saved up for hardware. Of course you can do a very good mix with plugins-just if you are anal about sound and punch I prefer hardware...however - Nebula seems the closest yet and different to algo (as usual)...
Last edited by SWAN on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:57 am

I can only agree and do know some people with high end hardware compressors. I trust them and they say that e.g. the glue is good but nowhere near a hardware comp. EQ's are great but we need better emulations, plugins or nebula programs to get closer to what hardware comps really do to audio!

:mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries