Login

analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Postby greekpeet » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:34 am

This is AWESOME! Bought this, Michael's R2R Tape Booster, and the Mammoth expansion tonight..

Next is the CDsoundmaster tube collection and both producers pack!
Glad I decided to fix my car instead of getting into a car payment, now I can get into a monthly Nebula program payment. :lol:
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby vicnestE » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:33 am

Yeah, One can never have enough Nebula, instances or libraries. :lol:

Fate Comp loaded with Nebual Reverb actually uses less resources than lots of other compressor. (1% on my PC)
The CPU hog would be Voxengo Deft Compressor in 8X Oversampling, vintage mode. (50%....on my PC) It's sound is quite close but not as punchy as FateComp in the same setting.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby paix1 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:17 am

as soon as it came out I bought it !!!!!!!!!!!!
AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
paix1
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:38 am

Doh! Saw the REDUCTION for the first time yesteday aswell (after using nebula for almost 2 years or so...)

:o

Postby mordecainyc » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:26 am

Threshold is depending on the loudness of your input signal.
You could post average gain reduction which is more informative.
Ratio, release, and "average" gain reduction in the first page of nebula would be sufficient.

VicNestE, thanks for the info. I think I get what you are saying but I have one question: reducing the gain through the treshold gives a different sound than reducing gain by turning down the input (and both affect the gain reduction number on Nebula's front page). Same thing with the makeup: increasing gain with the makeup button gives a different sound than turning up the input button. At least, that's what I am hearing. So in that respect, if I would just give you the average gain reduction info, you would still not know how I'd achieved the gain reduction? Am I right?

It sounds best if you use the input control of Nebula to dial a very small amount of compression.

Hive, thanks for pointing that out. Does it mean in order to get the most realistic results we should not touch the threshold button?

Thanks for your help guys.
mordecainyc
User Level V
User Level V

Postby vicnestE » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:01 am

mordecainyc wrote:
Threshold is depending on the loudness of your input signal.
You could post average gain reduction which is more informative.
Ratio, release, and "average" gain reduction in the first page of nebula would be sufficient.

VicNestE, thanks for the info. I think I get what you are saying but I have one question: reducing the gain through the treshold gives a different sound than reducing gain by turning down the input (and both affect the gain reduction number on Nebula's front page). Same thing with the makeup: increasing gain with the makeup button gives a different sound than turning up the input button. At least, that's what I am hearing. So in that respect, if I would just give you the average gain reduction info, you would still not know how I'd achieved the gain reduction? Am I right?

It sounds best if you use the input control of Nebula to dial a very small amount of compression.

Hive, thanks for pointing that out. Does it mean in order to get the most realistic results we should not touch the threshold button?

Thanks for your help guys.

What you said is right.
Then I guess post the input and output average loudness on the PROG page helps a bit.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:07 pm

HIFIDELITY

Hi, Sorry for sounding thick but i am really intreaged! and being relatively new to the producing/mixing game(Dj for 16 years) im trying to learn any given moment! When you talk about changing the Bpm of the track to compinsate for the compressor release times,what do you actually mean? Iv found it quite tricky to get my head around the art of compression so any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanx

compression takes a while to hear, you need to sit and play with all the parameters for maybe years to master it. don't worry, you get better the more you do it. best advice i read was something like this (from mixing with you mind)

remember ARRT attack, release, ratio, threshold.

this is the order to 'open the safe' of compression.

first set highest ratio you have, 8:1 infinty:1 or limit

make attack and release as fast as possible, bring down threshold so you are getting a lot of compression, but not silly amounts, more than you need. the idea is now you are hearing a greatly exaggerated amount to make setting it up easy. now ARRT

attack
------

increase until you hear the 'front' of the instrument. maybe if its a guitar its the finger scraping the string, the kick the very first transient. increase until you get what you like, its just taste. you are shaping the attack like the ADSR of a synth. too short will crush life out of instruments (but maybe thats what you want!)

release
-------

what you were asking about. here you want groove for percussion. this is my problem with the set release of fate. you want it to pump in time with the music. maybe in a drum kit you hear the sound 'suck' up until the next beat then slam down. a sound like a ticking clock of it rising and falling with the music. maybe it may well be something like a little longer than a quater note length. depends on the compressor. you can play for years getting subtle dynamic grooves that really bring the sound to life.

ratio
-----

now your ratio. this is 'how strong' the effect is. common drum and vocal might be 4:1. bus or mastering low like 1.2:1. really depends on what you like sound of and the compressor.

threshold
----------

adjust so you hear as much or as little of the attack/release effect you created earlier. effect only the portion of the signal you want.

sorry if this is a bit of a quick and lame explanation, i am in a net cafe and running out of credit (and got a hangover :)

i could easily post some scans from the book chapter, but that would be dodge for (C) i imagine.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby analoginthebox.com » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Ok, time to answer/comment a lot of posts. :)

The Fate compressor is awesome its the 1st ITB compressors that does not collapse the image and its got some serious mojo.Great work and thank you for all your hardwork.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

In my experience, it does wonders on certain sources, but is not going to be my compressor for everything. Vocals, Electric Guitar, Drumgroups and whole mixes could be compressed in a great way that i could not do with other plugs.

Exactly! Would you use the hardware as your go-to compressor on everything? I guess not :)

if i dare ask, how close to the hardware is it, how big is the difference? could you give some examples when and how it behaves different?

Regarding sonic characteristics it is as close to the hardware as we can get with Nebula. It's the same like for console emulations. We are different on time constants, but fluctuation is acceptable so far. It will improve with updates.

Getting a file damaged & could not be repaired message when trying to open the pdf manual. Downloaded or open direct is the same.

Thank you for reporting!
Could anyone else confirm that? I cannot reproduce the error. Maybe it is an old Adobe Reader version? I should check the compatibility of the PDF.

must ask what settings are people getting good results with vocals? 400ms release!?! this is far too slow for any vocal i have compressed. the limiter has the 100ms release (good vocal release time), which sounds good but limiting sound too much on most vocals.

I am using the hardware (and now the Nebula version as well) on vocals a lot. Usually in 2:1/3:1/4:1, 400ms or AUTO Recovery. Sad we cannot implement the Auto Release in Nebula. It does wonders on vocals, especially when you have "thin" sounding sources. I'm using the compressor mainly on slow/sustained sources- I like it best here. Often I use combination of 2 compressors, a faster one followed by the 2254.

compressor 400ms release seems too slow on anything... am i missing something? i know its a limit of the sampling, but will this thing ever get faster release on the compression?!?

No, it is not a limitation of sampling, 400/800ms & 1.5s are the time constants on the hardware.
However, we could release a version that gives you the 1272 mojo but timings are derived from a different compressor. Everything possible! Nebula has the power!

BRING ON THE 96KHZ VERSION AND BRING ON THE CORE III ENGINE!!!

We start working on 96KHz versions in a few days. It will be available for free for all customers, so you could even give it a try right now.

It sounds best if you use the input control of Nebula to dial a very small amount of compression. Going deeper into compression could sound interesting, but will be far from the hardware.

This is quoted a lot of times.
It is about 2 EPs of the library where we used preamp sessions! It is NOT about the regular compression programs!

this is some serious release! niklas got some nice weapon up for us! i really like this compressor! like i posted on facebook, this compressor can be soft, round, near ,far, coloured and also clean. get it as long it's affordable like now! thanks niklas! :geek:

as soon as it came out I bought it !!!!!!!!!!!!
AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

what an OTB sound coming from my computer. In fact you could say it sounds like analoginthebox.....

Thank you very much for your support. If you like it: Spread the word! :D

Ok, I hope I did not miss to much- preparing the Demo version right now.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby HIFIDELITY » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:33 pm

david1103 wrote:
HIFIDELITY

Hi, Sorry for sounding thick but i am really intreaged! and being relatively new to the producing/mixing game(Dj for 16 years) im trying to learn any given moment! When you talk about changing the Bpm of the track to compinsate for the compressor release times,what do you actually mean? Iv found it quite tricky to get my head around the art of compression so any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanx

compression takes a while to hear, you need to sit and play with all the parameters for maybe years to master it. don't worry, you get better the more you do it. best advice i read was something like this (from mixing with you mind)

remember ARRT attack, release, ratio, threshold.

this is the order to 'open the safe' of compression.

first set highest ratio you have, 8:1 infinty:1 or limit

make attack and release as fast as possible, bring down threshold so you are getting a lot of compression, but not silly amounts, more than you need. the idea is now you are hearing a greatly exaggerated amount to make setting it up easy. now ARRT

attack
------

increase until you hear the 'front' of the instrument. maybe if its a guitar its the finger scraping the string, the kick the very first transient. increase until you get what you like, its just taste. you are shaping the attack like the ADSR of a synth. too short will crush life out of instruments (but maybe thats what you want!)

release
-------

what you were asking about. here you want groove for percussion. this is my problem with the set release of fate. you want it to pump in time with the music. maybe in a drum kit you hear the sound 'suck' up until the next beat then slam down. a sound like a ticking clock of it rising and falling with the music. maybe it may well be something like a little longer than a quater note length. depends on the compressor. you can play for years getting subtle dynamic grooves that really bring the sound to life.

ratio
-----

now your ratio. this is 'how strong' the effect is. common drum and vocal might be 4:1. bus or mastering low like 1.2:1. really depends on what you like sound of and the compressor.

threshold
----------

adjust so you hear as much or as little of the attack/release effect you created earlier. effect only the portion of the signal you want.

sorry if this is a bit of a quick and lame explanation, i am in a net cafe and running out of credit (and got a hangover :)

i could easily post some scans from the book chapter, but that would be dodge for (C) i imagine.

David,Thank you so much, time is very valuable and for you to take the time to answer my question in so much detail is greatly appreciated. I have been reading many books and your explination and concept is by far the most helpful! David can you recommend anywhere in london for one to one payed tuition? Its just so hard to learn this sort of stuff from books/dvds! its like when i taught people how to mix(dj) they would tell me how they learnt more from me in 10 mins than they have in the last ten months! its great to learn the concept from books but to put that concept into practice is so very difficult unless you have someone showing you what to do and what to listen for etc..! :? Once again,many thanks for all your help.
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby RJHollins » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:43 pm

As mentioned.

I too would highly recommend the book:
"Mixing With Your Mind" by Stav.

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries