Login

analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Postby surbitone » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:18 pm

I've been eyeing this release up for so long now, so pleased it's finally been released! I purchased it this morning & will have to wait until later to check it out. But....I work pretty much exclusively at 96k for everything, so will the ratecnv to 96k work well enough to tide me over until the 96k update it released? I saw another user mentioned working at 48k, so just wondering if anyone is satisfied working at 96k? I've used the Draw-her compressor at 96k, and have been pleased.
surbitone
User Level V
User Level V

Postby david1103 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:24 pm

been trying it on drums all day... the sound of it is amazing, much more real/hifi/3d/punchy than anything else for compression and limiting!!

must ask what settings are people getting good results with vocals? 400ms release!?! this is far too slow for any vocal i have compressed. the limiter has the 100ms release (good vocal release time), which sounds good but limiting sound too much on most vocals.

approx 1db of limit 100ms release on drumbus kicks arse, glue and punch, amazing, but anymore squashes transient attack of snare too much (on my tracks). 4/1 comp and 2db comp good on drum bus, but again 400ms release too slow. i am even thinking of changing BPM of songs to get this thing in time :)

compressor 400ms release seems too slow on anything... am i missing something? i know its a limit of the sampling, but will this thing ever get faster release on the compression?!? the attack fixed at 5ms is fine, works really well as it lets a little bit attack through and generates amazing punch.

conclusion... the best compressor **ever** when the release time is correct for the material, which seems not too often for me. but anyway, FANTASTIC RELEASE!!

please people, post your settings for vocals and drums here!!!!!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby HIFIDELITY » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:13 pm

david1103 wrote:been trying it on drums all day... the sound of it is amazing, much more real/hifi/3d/punchy than anything else for compression and limiting!!

must ask what settings are people getting good results with vocals? 400ms release!?! this is far too slow for any vocal i have compressed. the limiter has the 100ms release (good vocal release time), which sounds good but limiting sound too much on most vocals.

approx 1db of limit 100ms release on drumbus kicks arse, glue and punch, amazing, but anymore squashes transient attack of snare too much (on my tracks). 4/1 comp and 2db comp good on drum bus, but again 400ms release too slow. i am even thinking of changing BPM of songs to get this thing in time :)

compressor 400ms release seems too slow on anything... am i missing something? i know its a limit of the sampling, but will this thing ever get faster release on the compression?!? the attack fixed at 5ms is fine, works really well as it lets a little bit attack through and generates amazing punch.

conclusion... the best compressor **ever** when the release time is correct for the material, which seems not too often for me. but anyway, FANTASTIC RELEASE!!

Hi, Sorry for sounding thick but i am really intreaged! and being relatively new to the producing/mixing game(Dj for 16 years) im trying to learn any given moment! When you talk about changing the Bpm of the track to compinsate for the compressor release times,what do you actually mean? Iv found it quite tricky to get my head around the art of compression so any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanx
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Mirco » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:36 pm

this is some serious release! niklas got some nice weapon up for us! i really like this compressor! like i posted on facebook, this compressor can be soft, round, near ,far, coloured and also clean. get it as long it's affordable like now! thanks niklas! :geek:
Mirco

Postby futur2 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:40 pm

david1103 wrote:compressor 400ms release seems too slow on anything... am i missing something? i know its a limit of the sampling, but will this thing ever get faster release on the compression?!? the attack fixed at 5ms is fine, works really well as it lets a little bit attack through and generates amazing punch.

well nobody explained by now what's the actual limit of the programs versus the hardware. i never worked with one but i don't think that the real 2254 behaves much different. david, you know that the release times are the same on the hardware, right?
futur2

Postby mordecainyc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:09 pm

I'd like to see those too.

For the mixbus, so far I've found that this glues everything together in a very nice way:

Ratio: 1.5:1
Tresh: -10db
Makeup: +2db
Input: about 3 db+

However, I'm no professional mixer, so any tips regarding this or other settings are welcome.
mordecainyc
User Level V
User Level V

Postby vicnestE » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 am

mordecainyc wrote:

I'd like to see those too.

For the mixbus, so far I've found that this glues everything together in a very nice way:

Ratio: 1.5:1
Tresh: -10db
Makeup: +2db
Input: about 3 db+

However, I'm no professional mixer, so any tips regarding this or other settings are welcome.

Threshold is depending on the loudness of your input signal.
You could post average gain reduction which is more informative.
Ratio, release, and "average" gain reduction in the first page of nebula would be sufficient.

I use long release (800ms or 1.5s) on vocals to let the compressor dominate the dynamics. Short release 400ms to make the drum bus more exciting.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 am

Anyone tried using two instances, like it's big brother, N**e 33609?
Use one for the Compressor and the other for it's Limiter! :D
BANG :!: :twisted:

BRING ON THE 96KHZ VERSION AND BRING ON THE CORE III ENGINE!!!
-Scott
scooter

Postby SWAN » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:57 am

I really like literally 1-1.5db gain reduction (ratio 1.5/2 release 400) when used on a buss...just tightens and gives a little mid range punch....then you have to boost the lows a little (with Mammoth) and WOW - what an OTB sound coming from my computer. In fact you could say it sounds like analoginthebox.....

This is also great on bass guitar - thickens the sound and it holds the bass better than any algo plugin Ive tried...and you can really smack it...

Sure it will be great on synths and vocals also - need to keep using - but its so nice. I think it will cause me to not bother running some tracks out thru my converters (and I dont have Prisms...) and analogue compressors...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Grim » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:01 am

Can anyone give me any advice on the best way to monitor the gain reduction in Nebula?

Would love to see a Nebula compressor edition with GR meter in the future! Too much to hope for??
Grim

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries