Login

analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor released!

Postby farjedi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:35 am

so we talking step up from previous compressor offerings?
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Grim » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:41 am

Getting a file damaged & could not be repaired message when trying to open the pdf manual. Downloaded or open direct is the same.
Grim

Postby maniak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:51 am

The "Demo Version" link on the http://www.analoginthebox.com web is not working for me :roll: ....... And to you guys?
maniak
User Level X
User Level X

Postby SWAN » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:05 am

maniak wrote:The "Demo Version" link on the http://www.analoginthebox.com web is not working for me :roll: ....... And to you guys?

1st post: "Demo this weekend"
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby maniak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:12 am

SWAN wrote:
maniak wrote:The "Demo Version" link on the http://www.analoginthebox.com web is not working for me :roll: ....... And to you guys?

1st post: "Demo this weekend"

Thanks, I had not seen it and read it 3 times lol :)
maniak
User Level X
User Level X

Postby himhui » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:02 am

I am not going to demo it!!!

But I've just bought it......... :mrgreen:
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby zaminx » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 am

Just tried the fate compressor on the Mix Buss before an insert of the AlexB VBC.The Fate compressor is awesome its the 1st ITB compressors that does not collapse the image and its got some serious mojo.Great work and thank you for all your hardwork.
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Fishmac » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 am

This compressor release is surely a milestone in the Nebula history and gives us a hint of things to come! The brilliant idea was to choose this particular unit, so that Nebula in it's current state is able to emulate it in a good way - the fast attack times of something like a 1176 are still far away. In my experience, it does wonders on certain sources, but is not going to be my compressor for everything. Vocals, Electric Guitar, Drumgroups and whole mixes could be compressed in a great way that i could not do with other plugs. Other sources, mostly with rich transients, are a bit difficult to get right, especially on higher ratios.
If you get in trouble with a pumping sound, the ahead slider can be your friend (in addition to the release).
I'm excited, because this is a great step for itb compression!

One question: Should we use reverb or regular Nebula version?
Fishmac
User Level III
User Level III

Postby vicnestE » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:41 am

I want to do a shootout for Fate Compressor V.S my old-time favorite compressors, but it's difficult to set 2 compressors to identical settings.
Most of them could be tuned to the same attack, release, and feedback model, but the gain reduction and make-up gain need more tweaking.
I tuned all the outcome files to the same RMS for one of the possible fair ways to compared the compressors.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9609516/FateComp%20Shootout%20on%20MB.rar

I oringally tested more but I choose only:
FateCompressor: fixed 5ms attack time and release time is 400ms. Ahead = 0ms.
Cytomic the Glue: 3ms attack time only (no 5ms attack time). 2X oversample.
Oxford Dynamics: the release might be different due to 10ms hold.
PSPOldTimer: have no idea the exact attack and release, tuned to the same gain reduction and similar punch.
Waves VComp: exact settings, analog 100%, other switch disengaged.

Tested on a quick composition of drum/bass/2 Synth.
No EQ, compressors, reverb where added, so it's pretty much how the VSTis sound. Original mixdown is included.
All tests done in 44KHz 64bit engine and truncate the files to 24bit.
One compressor added on the master bus. Ratio 2:1, gain reduction around 2dB; ratio 4:1, gain reduction around 10dB.

I'm not sure if it's the best position and material to demo FateComp because it reacts more expectable on individual instruments. And the heavy gain reduction works better on individual track. Anyway the "bring middle instruments closer" effect is quite obvious and very useful.

Hear this and compare or apply the same settings to the original track using your favorite compressor tuned to the same loudness, and then judge yourself. Do forget to use vocal on the upcoming demo programs, FateCompressor loves to sing :)

And wait for better official audio demostration by AITB, they have more N**e compressor plug-ins and the real unit.
I'm quite satisfied with the sound and looking forward the compressor improvements in Nebual.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Yes, this thing is thick! Have to test more, to see if it could be on my mixbuss or not. Right now it seems to dull the mix a little (maybe not bad). It's not a "smacky/snappy" compressor, so will be used for certain situations over here.

Liking it!

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries