Login

analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor (N**e 2254) released!

Postby analoginthebox.com » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:39 pm

The FATE COMPRE - Now available for purchase!

http://analoginthebox.com/fate_compressor.php

Free demo version:
To be released this weekend
___________________________________________________________________________________
Finally one of the most classic compressors in the world hit the Nebula world:
The 2254 (aka Fate Compressor)!
___________________________________________________________________________________

Designed in the late 1960s this unit is still highly sought after. Once you experienced its unique sonic characteristics you cannot get it out of your mind.
We are proud to make this classic “fat” and “round” tone now available in your DAW.
Enjoy the sound of the 1272 class A circuit (as used in 1970s N**e consoles as well) and let it thicken up your track!

Please read carefully!
I'll quote from the manual:
Do we have a perfect emulation of an analog compressor now?
The answer is: Yes and no!
No, because as far as time constants are concerned, Fate Compressor could
be different to the real hardware for certain sources/settings.
Yes, because finally a software compressor arrived, that sounds like real
analog hardware: Fat and 3D - not harsh, flat and 2D.

Nebula is not ready for the "perfect" compressor emulation yet. But on this compressor we were able to find an incredible compromise. Even Fate Compressor is behaving different to the original hardware in some cases, you will get an outstanding sounding compressor, that is providing the tone that is the big N-company so famous for.

Now 4 really important things to know:

1) To take most advantage of this release you should use Nebula3Pro (CoreII engine). Other Nebula versions still provide the same sonic characteristics of the hardware, but different (and wrong) timings.

2) Only 44.1KHz is supported officially so far! The whole unit has been sampled at 96KHz as well, but the support and behaviour of Nebula's envelope followers at different samplerates needs further testings & improvements

3) This release will improve step by step as Nebula does. This is just the initial release! The first update will be focused on 96KHz support. ETA is depending on Giancarlo's spare time. But we do our best to keep things going fast!

4) Please ensure to buy this by upgrading to the "Fate Bundle" if you already own the "Fate EQ". Vice versa: If you deceide to buy this one, you could get the "Fate EQ" for a discount price in the bundle later as well!

Ok, now have a great time and enjoy a nebulized version of the grand-daddy of diode-bridge compressors!

Velinas
Last edited by analoginthebox.com on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: analoginthebox.com: Fate Compressor released!

Postby SWAN » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:43 pm

purchased and eagerly awaiting my download/email!
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby analoginthebox.com » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Received?
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWAN » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:25 pm

analoginthebox.com wrote:Received?

yeah got it (its Steve by the way) 8-)

Sounds awesome so far - punchy - loving it for 2-3db on a master bus...at ration 1.5 or 2...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Shit! And I just promised myself I'd stop buying stuff, too. You need to price these higher so I can't afford and therefore can't buy them.
woeischris

Postby burak » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:46 pm

Downloading, as I'm writing.
I guess, I'm buying everything you guys release :)
burak
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby futur2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:57 pm

analoginthebox.com wrote:Nebula is not ready for the "perfect" compressor emulation yet. But on this compressor we were able to find an incredible compromise. Even Fate Compressor is behaving different to the original hardware in some cases, you will get an outstanding sounding compressor, that is providing the tone that is the big N-company so famous for.

just bought :mrgreen:

if i dare ask, how close to the hardware is it, how big is the difference? could you give some examples when and how it behaves different?

and will the perfect emulation come (soon)?
futur2

Postby vicnestE » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:22 am

Make sure you download and read the manual:
http://www.analoginthebox.com/documents/fate_compressor_manual.pdf

As picture showed, these compressor programs are only officially supported at release time 400ms, 800ms, 1.5s (no AUTO). Limiter program has release time 100ms, 200ms, 800ms.
Good thing to know is the release slide is much easier to drag to specific release time than some EQs programs.

The gain reduction is limited to sampled range. But it's quite enough.

I love it's deep, punchy sound on drum bus (remove other compressors and let Fate dominate would eliminate chances of weird squashed sounds)
If you couldn't resist using Nebula EQ instead of plug-ins, you couldn't resist this compressor because there's no native compressors sound like it with the same settings. (thus I really want more nebula compressor support :lol:
There's other classical compresors like this one)

It's also great on vocals, the sound will be intimate, in your face and thick. And you can try the limiter (a few dB) -> compressor (more dB) trick to control the signal more.

1.5:1 or 2:1 ratio with 1~2dB gain reduction is good for master bus. Make the whole mix denser, deep, and silky.

And you might want to try the compressor along with all the N**e consoles, EQs, we are really in N**e heaven.
I've got lovely result with AlexB's VBC inputs.

I personlly used Cytomic the Glue as my default compressor, but after using Fate compressor, I undoubltly try it on everything first. And usually I love what I hear.
It's very light on CPU (compared to other programs), so I could use it as normal compressor in mid-size project.
I've done 2 songs mixing/mastering and one album remastering with it and the clients love it without knowing what I actually used.
By the way, one of the song is in 48KHz, maybe the timing is not accurate, but the unique punch still felt quite right.

The alising in 44KHz is a bit too much (-90dB~-100dB), but I didn't notice it unless load it in VSTAnalyzer. Some muddiness might exist but generally it sounds pretty musical. Hope to see 96KHz improvement soon.

You can hear old fate compressor (first beta release) along with Waves V-comp (seems like the same model), and real unit in AITB's facebook. The original unit is way too impressive. Couldn't believe how tight it sounds. Check Velinas's signature.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:54 am

JONES'ING for this beast, but I never work in 441khz.
I'll have to wait a bit.... ;)
-Scott
scooter

Postby ericus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:56 am

Nice! Can't wait to be back home to buy it! :mrgreen:
ericus

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries