Login

Any opinions yet on CDSoundMaster's new GTR-VTX?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Any opinions yet on CDSoundMaster's new GTR-VTX?

Postby Formbank » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 am

I've tried the demo and I'm afraid it didn't do it for me. Not everything does and that doesn't reflect badly on Nebula or the developer, it's just what I think about a particular library.

I would say though that some of the marketing language used sometimes can be somewhat 'over-enthusiastic'.

[edit] I should clarify this to say I'm not referring to Michael exclusively on this point.
Formbank
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi everyone.

I appreciate the comments on the VTX.

Now that the N-TEN for Mac Acqua is up and running, I have a few moments to catch this up and I hope it is helpful. I'll answer a couple of specifics after this general topic.

I can understand this isn't the perfect release for everyone, and even guitar-users may have their preferences with and without Neb.- totally understandable.

But, I do consider this to be a very important library.

Because of the nature of design, it takes a little deeper understanding and a little setting up to get the full effect, so no problem if it doesn't click immediately.

All information for best use is covered in the docs, and I really hope that anyone interested in amazing authentic guitar amp tone will check further into this.

If immediacy and ease of use are the most important to you, there are definitely easier ways to plug-in. For those that want to tweak and take the few steps to a much more authentic tone itb, you really want to dig a little deeper here.

The docs cover the entire technical process in the amp and it is no hype to say it is one of the very best that exist.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:50 pm

sfunk wrote:Being brutally honest i saw this and thought "why the hell did he model this?!"

Classic AC30? Classic Fender Deluxe? Classic Superlead? Yes. This? No sorry.

I understand.
Yet, at the same time, the examples mentioned are precisely why this is worth getting.

Why did I model this?
I've tracked and played with everything from an AC15, Princeton Chorus, a few Marshalls and my Marshall combo, Fender Twin, etc. for many years, and the AD60VTX is my all time favorite amp.
Don't confuse the modeling aspect of the hardware with Line6, Amplitube, or others. This is a real analog amp with excpetional preamp modeling, real transformers, a real low watt tube power out and an analog solid state post-tube boost.

To get the realism of the power usage, Class A/AB, speaker load, etc, the actual analog signal is altered to replicate the real reaction of different amps.

There have been plenty of side-by-side tests where the differenece in the Vox AC15, top-boost, 30, etc, are indestinguishable from the VTX, and the rectification and others are masterpieces.

But, just as much the reason for this as opposed to other specific, single combo's mentioned... I own the VTX. It is my personal favorite amp, and I decided to sample it and make the huge expanse of awesome tone available.

You get pedal input to all combo amp emu's, an eq version of all emu's, and two live mik'd cab versions with off-axis sm57 and Quad Eight console channel. For the price of a single collection and the realism, I can't imagine a reason not to create this. Sure, there are other amps to sample, but that is no reason to avoid the one I know for sure I love, and the emu quality level of this amp should not be under-estimated.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:00 pm

I definitely understand what you are saying as first reaction, as it is a set-up process. It sounds like your time with the collection has gotten exactly the results I'm hoping people will take the time to discover. Just like a guitarist can spend months developing their tone with the real amps- it takes a little time to dig through the massive options here. but so much fun! And, to be able to make these changes with zero plugging or routing once in a session... :-)!

Just to help people understand; the level is low in the same manner that plugging a guitar into an amp is very low until it is driven. There is a serious non-linear scoop that occurs once going in the preamp, and in digital if I turn this up, you will overload. The levels are matched to avoid any digital artifacts when plugging in.

The eq sections will allow you to shape it as the original amps do. Shaping the sound should come with more drive entering the first stage, which is easy to do with an extra freebie pedal plug-in of choice.

I'm SO glad that you went through the process and it gets even more exciting the deeper you dig into the eq sections and mic'd versions. I'd love to hear some audio if you decide to post them!

Plattino wrote:Yes the audio demos on Michaels website are far from what GTR-VTX can sound like - IMO.
Anyway I bought it because I was just curious :-) And I thought to myself: "C'mon its from Michael, there must be something good in it" :-)
I'm honest, my first try was a real disapointment.
I thought the level is much to low and the sound needs more mids and highs and so on. But then I found out what @vicnestE already mentioned in his post. You have to shape the sound before and after Nebula and then you will get what you expect from it and so much more!
So my advise is choose a GTR-VTX AMP preset in Nebula and put a good digital or analog overdrive/distortion in front of it. I tried the ones in Amplitube3 and Guitar-Rig4 with great achievements and then I tweaked only one neutral sounding eq after Nebula to shape the sound. Brutally rised the mids and also the highs. Sometimes you need to cut the lows a little bit. That's all. For clean sounds just rise the volume and/or put a compressor in front of it. Then again tweak the EQ after it.
I'm very enthusiastic what comes out of my speakers now. I never got such a dynamic and "tonerich" sound from any amp-sim in the box outhere! I think it's reacting like a good miked amp. If I find the time I will post some audio-demos so you can hear the sounds you should hear on Michaels website ;-)
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Great response. Thanks for giving us some clarifying details. As always, even when being questioned, Michael Angel answers with grace and patience. This new library IS hard to really understand, at first. But as he said, if you dig a little bit, you may appreciate it more. And as is many other Nebula libraries, this is all about the cumulative build-up that happens when you have multiple instances of Nebula and how it can affect your audio, not a "whiz-bang-blow-your-mind" effect.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:05 pm

I understand it may not be for everyone for sure.
If you are looking for a step-up in getting guitar tone, it is worth setting up signal chains and comparing to other algo plug-ins. As far as marketing language being over-enthusiastic, I hope to express my reaction of the results. If I am excited it will come through- no hype- genuine results. I don't want anyone to buy VTX because they felt pressured and it isn't going to be necessary to everyone that uses Neb. But I do feel that the result is a bit of a breakthrough in its own right, and there will be plenty of others for guitar as the years continue. I'm sure there will be some awesome cabs and amps in the future and hopefully some of them will find a home with users.
Thanks for taking the time to check it out and I hope you will keep the freebie-perhaps it will land in a song project some day! :-)

Formbank wrote:I've tried the demo and I'm afraid it didn't do it for me. Not everything does and that doesn't reflect badly on Nebula or the developer, it's just what I think about a particular library.

I would say though that some of the marketing language used sometimes can be somewhat 'over-enthusiastic'.

[edit] I should clarify this to say I'm not referring to Michael exclusively on this point.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries