Login

kernal length and quality in eq's

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

kernal length and quality in eq's

Postby david1103 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:38 pm

i see 3rd party developers choose all sorts of different kernal lengths for their eq's

the mammoth has a huge kernal length, and i was told i could cut it right down to avoid an echo problem. would this be a quality loss? if not, why have the huge length in the 1st place?

how come the alexb bmq has something like 37 or so kernal length and others over 100? what is the difference in sound or quality? what is it all about!?

david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: kernal length and quality in eq's

Postby analoginthebox.com » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Kernel length for H1 50-100ms (in some cases ~150ms) you are reaching 99,99% of best possible "quality".

Some programs from AITB increased H1 for a smoother freq response (less ripple), but is not a very audible change in sonic behaviour.

However, we reduce H1 length on a lot of programs in future update, there seems to be an issue with Nebula. Not confirmed yet, I need Giancarlo @home with some spare time... :)
You'll save ressources as wel...
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby analoginthebox.com » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:19 pm

how come the alexb bmq has something like 37

I don't know about how Alex is programming his EQs, maybe it is a dynamic program? Longer H1 results in slower program rate of course.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby AlexB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:54 am

Mmmmhhhh... In my programs H1 is 100ms. However I tune the kernels to match the sound as close as possible to the hardware. I'm working for the next version of my programs (PRO2) whith reduced K for low CPU load but retaining better the sonic characteristics. But I'm stop here.
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby maniak » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:23 am

Alex, you are the best,always working hard for the best sound. ;)

Gracias
maniak
User Level X
User Level X

Postby david1103 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:49 pm

thanks for your answers.

i think the BMQ pro sounds amazing, i did check the H1 kernal length and for the full 5 kernal versions it is a mere 37.5, nowhere near 100. the no distortion versions are 50.

looking at them in vst anaylser they are very 'rippley'. alex, you are going to cut the H1 down even more? i trust your judgement 100%, but this does seem very different to all the other EQ's. i love this eq and want the very best quality, cpu use is not so important.

thanks to all developers for their amazing programs!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Return to 3rd party libraries