Login

AlexB - 76D PRO : Dynamics Collection by Fet comps !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - 76D PRO : Dynamics Collection by Fet comps !!!

Postby sfunk » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:53 pm

I have used this more and i have to say, being totally 100% honest, i can't figure out why Alex released this. It sounds nothing like an 1176; the "tone" does not make up for the fact that the behavior of the time constants isn't there. The attack and release behavior is responsible for a considerable amount of the 1176's tone.

If the compression aspect of Nebula ever gets improved will these libraries sound better or will they need to be recaptured?
sfunk

Postby david1103 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:01 pm

for me to be 100% honest, while i do love what alex has done with eq (not tried the consoles), i am reading this thread with disbelief.

people seem to be saying its ok to advertise this compressor with:

"The legendary technique of pressing all four Ratio buttons in simultaneously to give a really over-the-top distorted compression and the ultra-fast attack time and trademark sound have lured legendary artists and studios."

and then say not to worry it doesn't actually do the fast compression (the whole point of the compressor) but the "tone" is great!!?? that's called a 'pre amp', not a compressor. come on guys... this is false advertising, not good :(
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:08 pm

david1103 wrote:...

"The legendary technique of pressing all four Ratio buttons in simultaneously to give a really over-the-top distorted compression and the ultra-fast attack time and trademark sound have lured legendary artists and studios."

If you read carefully you can note that this is referred at the original hardware.
Again, in the manual I suggest to use it as a limiter, (yes, this is a limiter) to control the peaks with a few dB or GR. If you want to squash the sound then this isn't your "compressor".

The 1176 sound is not only by line amp or attack release timing but it comes from the FETs and his characteristics rise time which Nebula, unfortunately, can't emulate. This is possible only with a specific analog modeling or a new implementation in Nat3 to sampling the rise curve of the various components that controls the GR.

However there is a Free Demo.

Cheers
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Good reply Alex. I would LOVE it if Nebula could emulate fast compressors better. But it can't yet, and these ARE emulations. They will never completely mimic the hardware that was sampled, but they are still amazing tools for the digital audio artist. Let's just remind ourselves of this fact, we are trying to mimic something and may get great sound, it is still not the hardware. Use the tools in the ways that best serve your work or art, period.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby BLUESMAN » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:58 pm

I think it sounds very good, but not with the typical behavior, just put it in front of you favorite 76 comp und hear.
Small demo:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8942445/drums76 ... 0after.wav
I like it a lot.
BLUESMAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sfunk » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:31 pm

AlexB wrote:
david1103 wrote:...

If you read carefully you can note that this is referred at the original hardware.
Again, in the manual I suggest to use it as a limiter, (yes, this is a limiter) to control the peaks with a few dB or GR. If you want to squash the sound then this isn't your "compressor".

Cheers

Alex with all due respect this answer is a bit disingenuous. Why put that blurb there in the first place if it doesn't pertain to your Nebula program? Why didn't you openly say right from the word go that this would not capture the time constants or aspects of the FETs response and would not behave at all like an 1176?

Sorry if that sounds confrontational but i have bought a lot of programs from you and loved them. This one has me really scratching my head thinking "why did he release this?!" I may as well just use the UAD 1176 and get something that at least behaves in a way i am used to.
sfunk

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:30 pm

I know this isn't a good advice for some people but since AlexB pretty much nailed the sound of an 1176, why don't you use an algo version for actual compression and AlexB's for colour? Waves' CLA-76 sounds very close so don't use it with it, you'd be doubling the color, so to speak.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dpclarkson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Even though the dynamic behaviour isn't a 1:1-copy
of an original 1176, the 76D still beats the crap
out of a lot of other hardware comps and is still
very useful for more than enough tasks.
Yes, I'd also like more accurate compression
and distortion in Nebula, but keep in mind that this
is a tiny company with just a handful of people
addressing product support, sales, server issues,
cuda/dsp issues, etc, etc. When you're with
a team of, say, less than 5 people, it's sometimes
difficult which priority comes first.
I'm sure it will be addressed.
In the meantime I'm tweaking away with the engine and loving it!
dpclarkson

Postby Definity » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Well im jsut using nebula for the depth and color im using waves 1176 for the quick attack release times
Definity

Postby marcpl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:33 pm

alex, congratulations on the release...can't wait to add these to my collection.

you listed these as mixing tools. would they also be suitable for mastering?

regards,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries