Login

AlexB - 76D PRO : Dynamics Collection by Fet comps !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: AlexB - 76D PRO : Dynamics Collection by Fet comps !!!

Postby richie43 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:51 am

Works! And Reaper did not crash for me at all. THANKS Alex!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby futur2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Anyone care to say how they like the library?
futur2

Postby richie43 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:35 pm

futur2 wrote:Anyone care to say how they like the library?

So far, so good. As has been said already, Nebula is not perfect yet with totally accurate compression, especially with fast compression. After accepting that, this library is full of color, character, texture, etc, and SOUNDS awesome. Just keep in mind that the hardware this is sampled from has a pretty specific character which is not for everyone. This is not transparent, not the kind of thing that goes on every track or buss. BUT, if you know the sound and like it, this library is the closest I have heard in the software world.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Texture and tone is spot on , but like most people are saying the dynamics are to rounded and poppy for this style of compressor. 1176 are fast sounding so you don't get the rounded thing going on so much.But one thing, the depth is there and you can't get that in other software compressors.

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby indravayu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:26 pm

Potentially dumb question here - does it make sense to use this in conjunction with the UAD 1176, so that you get color from the AlexB, but the actual compression from the UAD?
SYSTEM:
MB: Intel DP35DP
RAM: 8GB
DAW: Sonar Producer 64bit
indravayu
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Tim Petherick » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Yes maybe select line amp in nebula?! then your urs.

I did try this with another algo comp it was ok but sounds messy .
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby highvoltage » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Yeah, sadly with short attacks, nebula misses some transients, and emphasizes others.
You can try this simply by looping a snare sample with heavy gain reduction. Depending on your tempo, the engine will rhythmically 'miss' some transients, sometimes even 4-5 dB softer than the normal attack loudness. This makes it very very unpredictable (quite contrary to what a limiter/compressor should do)

But i agree, the tone is super. But thats no news with nebula :)
highvoltage

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Read this thread:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?f=11&t=5251&rb_v=viewtopic

It actually helps, at all cost of cpu, though.
dpclarkson

Postby Tim Petherick » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:32 pm

dpclarkson wrote:Read this thread:

Yes this helps the overall clarity but unfortunatly nebula is not running fast enough and evf can't deal with the transients in the correct way , so you get a slap/pop , 1176 does not sound like that on fast attack times . A 1176 runs at about 0.02 to 0.8 mill on the attack ,thats really fast even at max attack!So that means nebula is close the when nebula is at lowest attack to what the hardware is running at max attack!

you can get a bit closer by doing the xml edit which sounds better than the ahead function . then increase the timed mode a bit more.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Raynorshyn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:52 pm

timp wrote:
dpclarkson wrote:Read this thread:

Yes this helps the overall clarity but unfortunatly nebula is not running fast enough and evf can't deal with the transients in the correct way , so you get a slap/pop , 1176 does not sound like that on fast attack times . A 1176 runs at about 0.02 to 0.8 mill on the attack ,thats really fast even at max attack!So that means nebula is close the when nebula is at lowest attack to what the hardware is running at max attack!

you can get a bit closer by doing the xml edit which sounds better than the ahead function . then increase the timed mode a bit more.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the reason people are saying this doesn't react at all like a real 1176 (I've never heard one myself), is that a Nebula med attack (without the worst of the erratic behaviour), is still way too slow compared to any setting on a real hardware unit?

I have relied on YouTube to hear what a real unit does for snare (a joke, I know), and I believe I can hear whats being described, but the super fast attack, with no transient sounds too extreme and might be suited for parallel compression. I'm obviously missing something (I should probably rent one).

Also I have tried Fabfilter Pro C in front of 76D just taking the peaks off in Clean and Opto modes, also with the Rocket compressor, and although I hear the leveling working, it messes with the sound too much. What are the remedies (specific units and settings... please?) for getting around Nebs faults and not flattening its character?
Raynorshyn
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries