Login

Stereo AlexB Libraries

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Stereo AlexB Libraries

Postby tumburu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Because they are not really familiar with analog processing.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:54 pm

RJHollins wrote:
AlexB wrote:
I agree. You wouldn't worry about this because it's natural in the analog world. I have compared the hardware with the program and they act exactly at the same way. This is analogue sound, not a precise-digital sound.
(Bob Katz uses API5500 for mastering with all his imprecisions)

Hi AlexB,

I've not had a chance to upgrade my consoles to the latest, will do soon.

Question though ... these new stereo presets.

For my mastering work, I've been normally splitting the stereo [2-trk] masters into L & R, and processing each 'side' with its' own Nebula insert.

With the new 'stereo' presets, do I understand that I would not have to do this anymore?

The only 'sticking point' would be utilizing the PAN plug. i.e.: a simple chain I would use might be:
1. console input
2.PAN
3. BUS or Master section

maybe a Tape plug might also be used.

Anyway ... trying to understand just how this is implemented.

Thanks! and looking forward to updating all my libs.

:)

I'm not Alex but I'll share my opinions/thoughts about this.

I don't use the stereo programs because 2 mono programs sound better to me. For consoles, this is what I do:

Left Channel:
- Input X (Mono)
- Pan 100% L
Right Channel:
-Input Y (Mono)
-Pan 100% R

Both tracks are sent to a Bus where I use a clean Buss Group program. I split all my stereo tracks into L & R and set them up like this. Why? IMO this sound way better than stereo programs (more deep, clear and defined).

It's the same for EQs, I use 2 instances of the same program in each track, it just sounds better to me.

I think it would be the same for Mastering.

Hope that helps, cheers! :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby tumburu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:01 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:Left Channel:
- Input X (Mono)
- Pan 100% L
Right Channel:
-Input Y (Mono)
-Pan 100% R

This means you use different input programs for each channel, if I got it correctly. Being different they sound different and give the sensation of a bigger sound. Can't really do the same thing for eqs unless you have overlapping frequencies on different bands (like in the case of BMQ).
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:18 pm

tumburu wrote:This means you use different input programs for each channel, if I got it correctly.

Yes, different inputs for each channel and Alex's Precision Panner for 100& L/R.

tumburu wrote:Being different they sound different and give the sensation of a bigger sound.

It's not just a *sensation* :)

tumburu wrote:Can't really do the same thing for eqs unless you have overlapping frequencies on different bands (like in the case of BMQ).

I'm not following you here. It doesn't matter if there are overlapping frequencies (unless I'm misunderstanding something in your comments), I just do it the old analog way: one device per channel. I try to match both instances in L & R but not exactly the same, tiny differences in gain and/or frequency (if it's possible).

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby tumburu » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Ok, you're treating each channel individually, it makes sense now. I have a difficult time writing in English, that's why you can't follow easily my comments, sorry.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jimbob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Lately when mastering, I've been using the free Voxengo MSED to split the stereo mix into Mid and Side signals. Then I process the side signal only with an AlexB stereo EQ preset. Sometimes I boost or cut a little, sometimes I just turn it on with no gain change. This keeps my mono signal from being smeared, and it helps widen the stereo image. This multichannel routing is so easy in Reaper with its multiple I/O ability on each track.

Thanks for the constant updates, Alex! Your programs are amazing and I can't believe you keep finding ways to make them sound better.
jimbob
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Mercado_Negro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:08 am

jimbob wrote:Lately when mastering, I've been using the free Voxengo MSED to split the stereo mix into Mid and Side signals. Then I process the side signal only with an AlexB stereo EQ preset.

Hi,

May I ask how are you routing this internally in REAPER? I'm curious because a side signal is mono not stereo (but you've probably configured it all differently).

Cheers
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jimbob » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:08 pm

I first make sure the track channels setting is set to at least "4" in the I/O panel. Then I take the output of whatever plugin I want to use before splitting the signal into M/S and I turn on outputs 3 & 4 in that plugin's I/O settings. Next, I load 2 instances of MSED. The first MSED is set to mute the side signal, and it is routed to I/O channels 1/2. The second MSED is set to mute the mid signal, and it is routed to I/O channels 3/4. Next, I load an instance of an AlexB VMeQ or BMeQ stereo preset, with that plugin's I/O configured to 3/4. After I have inserted all of the plugins I want to use on the mid and side signals separately, I then load Reaper's JS plugin Utility/channelmixer to combine channels 1/2 and 3/4. I turn the volume all the way down for all the other channels in the mixer and leave Ch. 1/2 and 3/4 at 0. Thanks to Reaper this all happens on one channel fader!
jimbob
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Mercado_Negro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 pm

jimbob wrote:I first make sure the track channels setting is set to at least "4" in the I/O panel. Then I take the output of whatever plugin I want to use before splitting the signal into M/S and I turn on outputs 3 & 4 in that plugin's I/O settings. Next, I load 2 instances of MSED. The first MSED is set to mute the side signal, and it is routed to I/O channels 1/2. The second MSED is set to mute the mid signal, and it is routed to I/O channels 3/4. Next, I load an instance of an AlexB VMeQ or BMeQ stereo preset, with that plugin's I/O configured to 3/4. After I have inserted all of the plugins I want to use on the mid and side signals separately, I then load Reaper's JS plugin Utility/channelmixer to combine channels 1/2 and 3/4. I turn the volume all the way down for all the other channels in the mixer and leave Ch. 1/2 and 3/4 at 0. Thanks to Reaper this all happens on one channel fader!

EDIT: Sorry, I totally misunderstood the last part of your procedure because that JS effect you mentioned doesn't do what you explained, you're probably talking here about "IX/Mixer_8xM-1xS" which does work for such purposes.

... I use another method with the JS effect Kanaka (though it also works with MSED). MSED has 3 modes, "inline", "Encode" and "Decode"; there's no need to mute signals here just 1) insert an instance, set it to "Encode" then 2) load another instance and set it to "Decode" now 3) place all plug-ins you want to work with mid-side right in between these 2 MSED instances and 4) set their pin connectors correctly (from 1 to 1 for mid and from 2 to 2 for side). Here's an screenshot of an example:

*Click on the image to see it fully
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jimbob » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:57 am

You are right, I named the wrong mixer plugin--I use the one you listed. Your method sounds solid, also. This just shows you how flexible Reaper can be.

I know that my method cancels out 100% with the original signal when phase reversed (if no processing is used on the mid or side), so that's what I'm gonna stick with.
jimbob
User Level 0
User Level 0

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries