Login

Stereo AlexB Libraries

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Stereo AlexB Libraries

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:45 pm

You're right but in this case you're just removing the 'natural' course of things, all master buses on consoles are stereo and they do process channels independently (unless they have a stereo link feature) as well as all stereo devices. As you say, and correcting what I previously stated, there are phase shifts that may alter information across the spectrum but this is normal in the analogue world. Setting up Mid-Side processing is good, as you mention, but for regular mixes this is not bad at all (it actually may help your stereo image in some cases). I wouldn't worry about this too much unless you're mastering for Vynil, where most of these phase shifts are 'corrected' in some way.

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Tp3 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:24 pm

AlexB wrote:
david1103 wrote:they do sound AMAZING on stereo sources, but a word of warning for mastering. they make the bass stereo image blurred and less mono, which is often what you don't want.

my solution... place a HPF about 120hz on the side band in an MS EQ after the AlexB EQ :)

Or use this great tool: Brainworx bx_control v2
Also great to open OH, Rooms, Pads etc. and as meter.

OR

Use SHEPPI

:mrgreen:
Tp3
User Level III
User Level III

Postby AlexB » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:24 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:You're right but in this case you're just removing the 'natural' course of things, all master buses on consoles are stereo and they do process channels independently (unless they have a stereo link feature) as well as all stereo devices. As you say, and correcting what I previously stated, there are phase shifts that may alter information across the spectrum but this is normal in the analogue world. Setting up Mid-Side processing is good, as you mention, but for regular mixes this is not bad at all (it actually may help your stereo image in some cases). I wouldn't worry about this too much unless you're mastering for Vynil, where most of these phase shifts are 'corrected' in some way.

Cheers

I agree. You wouldn't worry about this because it's natural in the analog world. I have compared the hardware with the program and they act exactly at the same way. This is analogue sound, not a precise-digital sound.
(Bob Katz uses API5500 for mastering with all his imprecisions)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby tumburu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Who is Bob Katz?

Sorry, I couldn't resist :mrgreen:
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby hive » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:48 pm

tumburu wrote:Who is Bob Katz?

Sorry, I couldn't resist :mrgreen:

hive
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby tumburu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Haha.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby AlexB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:25 pm

BOoBs CATS ?? :shock:

:mrgreen:
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Bob Cats or "Lynx" Aurora? :lol:

... sorry off topic
-Scott
scooter

Postby RJHollins » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 pm

AlexB wrote:
I agree. You wouldn't worry about this because it's natural in the analog world. I have compared the hardware with the program and they act exactly at the same way. This is analogue sound, not a precise-digital sound.
(Bob Katz uses API5500 for mastering with all his imprecisions)

Hi AlexB,

I've not had a chance to upgrade my consoles to the latest, will do soon.

Question though ... these new stereo presets.

For my mastering work, I've been normally splitting the stereo [2-trk] masters into L & R, and processing each 'side' with its' own Nebula insert.

With the new 'stereo' presets, do I understand that I would not have to do this anymore?

The only 'sticking point' would be utilizing the PAN plug. i.e.: a simple chain I would use might be:
1. console input
2.PAN
3. BUS or Master section

maybe a Tape plug might also be used.

Anyway ... trying to understand just how this is implemented.

Thanks! and looking forward to updating all my libs.

:)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby AlexB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 pm

I don't understand why the people worry or ask about stereo programs... The stereo programs are an UPGRADE, A PLUS, and they don't substitute the original mono instance. Try it and if you like than you use it, if you don't like than you don't use it... It's simple....
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries