Re: Alex: rendering Nebula

Postby Mimi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:08 am

Really, it is possible.
It may be the feature of the emulation.
I dream of many nebulas, with many bands, too. :mrgreen:
Mimi

Postby vicnestE » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:09 am

hive wrote:I assume this render you did was processed with Nebula plugins yes? did you have to nudge due to lack of PDC? -40db is far from a null that's for sure but your ears are the true test..

Ya 2 Nebula Reverb instances. n84EQ + MTC MBP.
By shareing with us your null test result, we might dig deeper into this issue.

I will post my experiment later.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby hive » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:13 am

vicnestE wrote:
hive wrote:I assume this render you did was processed with Nebula plugins yes? did you have to nudge due to lack of PDC? -40db is far from a null that's for sure but your ears are the true test..

Ya 2 Nebula EQ programs. n84EQ + MTC MBP.
By shareing with us your null test result, we might dig deeper into this issue.

I will post my experiment later.

the only sharing I can do is post a screenshot of my analyzer showing that it doesnt null or an audio file proving that it doesnt null. I can't provide two audio files for you to null because it would be two bounces which defeats the point.

try a few 84eqs and crank them.
hive
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby hive » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:21 am

vicnestE wrote:By shareing with us your null test result, we might dig deeper into this issue.

I should also be clear that I'm not saying this is a technical issue related to Nebula itself.
hive
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby micstandbob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:36 am

hive wrote:
I emailed Alex on this topic as well and he referred me to:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?f=23&t=166&rb_v=viewtopic

so if there's render preview software in development, then I assume the purpose is for my reasons stated above...and to know what you're going to get pre-render instead of being surprised/disappointed. :)

I have to jump in here and from my understanding this is taken WAY out of context. the other thread talks about a preview mode for the Nebula offline render utility. this has nothing to do with using Nebula inside a DAW.

I don't have any hard proof to add either way to this subject, but i regularly use Cubase batch export to free up CPU power in the middle of mixes, and i have never noticed anything that made me question the render vs realtime. All I can say is Nebula has transformed my mixes!
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

Postby hive » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:37 am

micstandbob wrote:
hive wrote:
I emailed Alex on this topic as well and he referred me to:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?f=23&t=166&rb_v=viewtopic

so if there's render preview software in development, then I assume the purpose is for my reasons stated above...and to know what you're going to get pre-render instead of being surprised/disappointed. :)

I have to jump in here and from my understanding this is taken WAY out of context. the other thread talks about a preview mode for the Nebula offline render utility. this has nothing to do with using Nebula inside a DAW.

I don't have any hard proof to add either way to this subject, but i regularly use Cubase batch export to free up CPU power in the middle of mixes, and i have never noticed anything that made me question the render vs realtime. All I can say is Nebula has transformed my mixes!

ah ok guess I misunderstood that. my mistake! 8-)
hive
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby vicnestE » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:39 am

hive wrote:
vicnestE wrote:By shareing with us your null test result, we might dig deeper into this issue.

I should also be clear that I'm not saying this is a technical issue related to Nebula itself.

No one thought that way, it might be some different implemntations of rendering enginges of DAWs.

We all try to build a better workflow because rendering is unavoidable for larger project.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9609516/DAW%20render%20blind%20test1.rar
There's 2 files within the rar. (a drumloop audio)
One is ADAT loopback 24bit recording to represent what I hear in real-time.
One is 64bit off-line rendering using Sonar 8.5 64bit engine.
All truncate to 24bit without any dithering.
With manual alignment, I could get around -40dBFS null.
But I can't distinguish the two files in my environment.
Maybe in precise monitor environemnt, the 2 files do sound quite different. (2D v.s. 3D)

Feel free to tell me which sounds better and why, I shall tell the result to the guessers.

Does 64bit system suffer from the annoying 1.xGB (about 1.1~1.2GB, but I usually got error message around 800MB of memory usage when I loaded or copied a nebula reverb instance) memory limitation of 32bit system??
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby micstandbob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:01 am

a 64 bit coded program will not have any memory limitations, a 32 bit coded program will. the bit depth of the Audio Engine doesn't have anything to do with RAM limitations of 32bit sofware.
micstandbob
User Level II
User Level II

Postby zabukowski » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 am

micstandbob wrote:I have to jump in here and from my understanding this is taken WAY out of context. the other thread talks about a preview mode for the Nebula offline render utility. this has nothing to do with using Nebula inside a DAW.

+1

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 am

Getting a complete null with Nebula programs is like getting a complete null with hardware: it just won't happen. The more kernels a program has the less nulling you'll get, in theory. Null tests with Nebula are pointless.

If there is a substantial difference between a live output and a rendered file from this output it is your DAW's fault, not Nebula (though you already mentioned that you're not saying this is a technical issue in Nebula itself).

This is just like common reverbs, it won't sound the same each time ;)

Cheers.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries