Login

tame highs on R2R

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: tame highs on R2R

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:54 pm

vicnestE wrote:It's very intriguing that lots of R2R tape programs have high frequency boost.

Before using it, I always thought tape might mellow out the high frequency. But the high frequency boost is so crispy and addictive, I love its sound. 8-)

However,I guess the 3rd stage of R2R is ageing tapes with high end roll-off naturally.

Hey guys just wanted to chime in here...

Tape doesn't always mean "warmth" right off the bat. It's so contingent on, obviously tape & machine used but more importantly how it's biased and gain staged. Believe it or not, regarding these elements, tape can sound quite brittle and harsh just as well as digital distortion if used the "wrong" way. That's certainly not the case here with R2R, I was just stating something that may have not been obvious or well known regarding tape in general. When addressing R2R specifically, for example the Studer programs, for less high end boost first try the 15 ips programs. Inherently, at these slower speeds there is more of a "warmth" factor and low end emphasis than high end; regarding the frequency response. Harmonically, there is richness found in both ends of the spectrum, wihch is nice.
Next thing to try, I believe the higher reference signal programs, such as 0 or -6 will overall give you less boosted high end. Check it out for yourself.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby highvoltage » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:46 pm

I have analyzed all the programs to see their spectrums.

If you want something neutral then use:
Otari 499 at 15 speed

OTR-30-ATR 6
Revox 15-ATR-0
Revox S-ATR (it has a gentle bump at 150Hz so its great to add warmth)

Struder-10 15 - with this program the higher the first number (actually lower), the more high boost you get (how hard you hit tape) so the warmest is Struder 0_15 and -6_15. The 0_15 program also has a mid low boost.
The high speed Struders (30) are all kinda natural with a very gentle high boost. (max 1dB at 20khz)

I like the Akai and the Teac if i want really audible warmth, but its too much for certain sounds. For guitars for example they are awesome.
highvoltage

Postby Barendse » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 am

highvoltage wrote:I have analyzed all the programs to see their spectrums.

If you want something neutral then use:
Otari 499 at 15 speed

OTR-30-ATR 6
Revox 15-ATR-0
Revox S-ATR (it has a gentle bump at 150Hz so its great to add warmth)

Struder-10 15 - with this program the higher the first number (actually lower), the more high boost you get (how hard you hit tape) so the warmest is Struder 0_15 and -6_15. The 0_15 program also has a mid low boost.
The high speed Struders (30) are all kinda natural with a very gentle high boost. (max 1dB at 20khz)

I like the Akai and the Teac if i want really audible warmth, but its too much for certain sounds. For guitars for example they are awesome.

I did the same. After analyzing I decided to use for tracks Studer 10_15 and for the mix buss Otari 30 ATR 3. They have both a neutral freq curve with just a little high freq boost.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Len511 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:27 pm

fwiw, the tube bender program has some warm tube settings, that are sure to notch the highs down, they are probably the "warmest" presets I have come across in any of the programs. I don't really understand what "tube bender" really means, or why I bought it actually, but it's amazing what little gems are in some of these programs that you might not expect.
Len511
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby scooter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:58 am

I find myself using a low-pass on overheads 90% of the time for cymbal heavy rock. That high sizzle stuff is just too unnatural and you kind of need to use a low-pass on those suckers when delivering music with a 6-10db range. :twisted:

Then I'll use my TB+/R2R Nebula preset or El FATSO Jr. or BOTH!!! :D !!!!
-Scott
scooter

Postby SWAN » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:00 am

Len511 wrote:fwiw, the tube bender program has some warm tube settings, that are sure to notch the highs down, they are probably the "warmest" presets I have come across in any of the programs. I don't really understand what "tube bender" really means, or why I bought it actually, but it's amazing what little gems are in some of these programs that you might not expect.

yeah I want tube bender but its a bit more pricey than AITB or Alex B stuff...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries