Login

NEBULA MIX-BUSS COMPRESSOR

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NEBULA MIX-BUSS COMPRESSOR

Postby cpwade » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Ok, I'll bite.

"So you're saying that the "sound" of Slates compressor is better than what we have in Nebula? Its better than Alex's compressors?"

Mechanically and dynamically Slate is absolutely superior.

Sound, Vibe, Sat, Color, Character: clearly Alex wins. Totally different tool set and usage.

Hammer and nails vs. paint.
cpwade

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:55 am

sfunk wrote:So you're saying that the "sound" of Slates compressor is better than what we have in Nebula? Its better than Alex's compressors?

Oh and i don't mean i won't by them because of forum posts, its more down to ethics but thats just me.

The word "better" is too subjective, it depends on the person using the tool. AlexB is an expert on his sampling and he has an amazing hearing but I don't like Nebula's compressors, at least not for the type of compression I like. I've used the 4KD compressor for its color, character and vibe (like cpwade said above) but that's it. A lot of people loves Nebula's compressors, I've read tons of posts where people have used them successfully in their songs so it's just a matter of taste and workflow, I guess. I recently heard and tested the new 1176 by Alex and it's very good but sadly the 1176 is not my type of compressor (I really don't like it, HW or SW) I'm 100% sure it will be a hit because it DOES have that 1176 vibe and "tone", just not my type.

Ethics is also a subjective word but I rather stick to it when a company doesn't support its products or lies about their quality. Slate and Giancarlo have very different visions and I'm glad they do because that opens up the market where we, the end users, benefit the most.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby anthonyw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:29 am

What you actually want is The Glue + 4KD.
anthonyw
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:48 am

anthonyw wrote:What you actually want is The Glue + 4KD.

Nice tip. Yeah, that's a good option, sfunk. The Glue for actual compression and the 4KD for color/character.

Well thought, Anthony :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lipa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:56 am

I don`t get it.. why You guys need sooo much compression going.. 10db gain reduction with 10:1 program not enough? I can`t imagine myself inserting the glue right after 4KD on my masters..come on.. it`s the 2BUS!! Have some respect! :lol: But seriously, I`ve compared the 4KD bus comp to Duende, Glue, Stilwell Bombardier and Waves S*L at least a dozen times.. EVERY time the 4KD won.. either by being muuuch more alive sounding than stilwell and duende or by having bigger soundstage, bass punch and more detail than glue and waves.. If You have any problems with fast transients go to EDIT/GLOBAL and set ahead to 5 or 6ms. Having problems with compression buzzing/crackling on bass track - go to EDIT/global and set smooth parameter around POW7 or POW9 (on busses this artifact is rarely heard). I agree though, that for an algo comp, the Glue sounds very good. By the way.. I`ve tested 76D today and it`s gonna be a nice surprise for all..sounds exactly as You would want from a real 1176. Very easy to dial different sounds (not like the struggle I`ve had with Stripe76) and compression can be set to more extreme than with the usual nebula comps. Definitely raises the bar of ITB (and nebula) compression. No kidding.
lipa

Postby lipa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:10 am

oh.. I forgot to add.. "the 4KD puts a blanket over hi end"??? what?? I`d rather say the glue puts a blanket over lo end..and some high end too.. (besides where`s Your magical Mamooth Hi shelf on the 2buss?) As to Slate comp..the last time I`ve heard it was almost a year ago (when I demoed it) and I felt that the comp was to sloow and haaeeevy sounding, no fun at all; although it does stand apart most of the regular vst comps. :ugeek: ;)
lipa

Postby SWAN » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:18 pm

I have to say Ive not had much success with the following:

VM LImiter (although some love it)
STN 1968 (Big)

I did like the FATE comp on individual sounds...and STN D*x 165 is good

Need to try the 4k, and MWD...the 4k demo didnt do much for me tho...? Anyone got feedback (excuse the pun) on the MWD?

I have a hardware 1968 and a Overstayer VCA comp...and prefer hardware for compression - but want to keep trying Nebula to support devs and follow the progress...
I struggle with space and if a Nebula program got me very close I would like that.

I have to reluctantly agree that the FG-X compressor is very nice for the master. Clean-and very complimentary to the signal-does not take the life out like digital dynamic plugins often do. I would like them to release as a separate plug as I dont like the limiter...

Oldtimer ME and Sknote StripBus also have good algo compressors...

Good to hear the Alex B 1176 sounds interesting...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I too can`t understand VM-com/limiter. It`s so unpredictible.. it doesn`t compress for half of the song but when it gets the hit it goes like -4db instantly..

The drawmer big 1968 and D*x 165 have in my opinion only moderate accuracy in gain reduction curves and attack/rel times but D*x does some nice distortion (if You want it) and both can add nice flavor to the track.

Stripe76 does nice compression, it`s very punchy, but it`s too very sensitive to peaks (in a not controllable way). It can go -1db on one and then -6db! on a second snare hit if they are close to each other.. And even the fast release is way to slow for a 1176. But I like and use it sometimes.

Alex B compressors on the other hand are muuch more accurate and controllable* :

4KD - a must have! bus comp to my ears is no.1 itb S*L recreation. channel comp doesn`t get as much use in my setup but is very good too.. has a very nice vibe. It stays on my 2buss all the time.

MWD - I underestimated it for a long time (it has slower attack - 20ms if I can remember) but it does have very nice color and comes both in feedforward and feedback modes. Definitely gets more use than all STN comps now.

GMD - that`s a second comp in my It can be very fast, always sounding punchy and very alive but elegant, smooth and pretty clean at the same time. I like it very much..and it has nice addition of deessing program.

BUT if you don`t have much money I`d strongly suggest waiting for 76D. Even only with the 4:1 ratio I`m demoing, it can produce the broadest pallete of different sounds of compression and to my ears is 100% recreation of the 1176.
I hope Alex will release it this month finally..

Sorry for such an epic post.. :geek: :D

* Alex B comps only suffer from two easily cured artifacts:
1. first ms of transient can create a peak - need to aply more AHEAD - go EDIT/GLOBAL AHEAD and set it between 4 and 6ms.
2. they seem to buzz/crackle on bass sounds - just go to EDIT/GLOBAL and set SMOOTH between POW7 and POW9 instead of PARAB. I`ve set all alex b comps to POW8 by default.
lipa

Postby Barendse » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 pm

lipa wrote:I too can`t understand VM-com/limiter. It`s so unpredictible.. it doesn`t compress for half of the song but when it gets the hit it goes like -4db instantly..

Set the hpf at around 400hz. Great for colourfull mastering compression.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby lipa » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:05 pm

btw..I quickly demoed the stripbus - the S*L bus comp recreation was like miles after the 4KD and The Glue..

I love psp oldtimer.. also if You like slow comps abbey road rs124 is well worth checking - i`ve checked it in my friends little studio.. a big wow! :o if You are out of money - the molot is free and very nice
http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/
lipa

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries