Login

NEBULA MIX-BUSS COMPRESSOR

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

NEBULA MIX-BUSS COMPRESSOR

Postby geedy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 am

I have the S*L 4KD compressor, stripe 76 and Vari-mu compressors in my arsenal and i have been struggling trying to find a good nebula compressor for mix buss compression use and have now been successful.. :/ 4KD adds a blanket over the high end of the audio, Stripe 76 is a FET type compressor which does souund grest on vocals but not on a full mix buss and the VARI-MU is a set compressor where it is controlled by the input and is too colored.. :/ I have udes all of these compressors while understanding the limitations of the nebula compressors in where they are not very effective past 3db of gain reduction.. So my next option was to try out the N**e compressor or the German Mastering Compression from AlexB but but im not sue if i should take the leap to try those.. I already use the Slate Digital Limiter because it is the BEST on the market.. But i dont trust the algorithmic compressors...
geedy
User Level VI
User Level VI

Re: NEBULA MIX-BUSS COMPRESSOR

Postby cpwade » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:57 am

Contrary to what I said here 6 months ago...the slate stuff is actually awesome. I use it on the 2 bus. I use fabfilter in conjunction with an assortment of neb libs to achieve peak transient tames and the character I attempt to emulate.

Thanks much for the opinions and how you use your tools for compression.
cpwade

Postby geedy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:19 am

So do you think I should use the Slate compressor that comes with the limiter chain? I have used it once before when I was more of a novice but it just does seem like i can get accurate settings using those knobs and cannot accuratley set the attack and release times... Im going for 1:5:1 ratio 30 - 40 ms attack 100ms release which leaves my threshold usually around -30... If you could recreate these setting and post the image that would be VERY helpful... cause FAST and SLOW is not very accurate to me.. :/
geedy
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby cpwade » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:43 am

I honestly feel that it (Slate FG-X) serves me best as a finisher. To add velvet.
I use Voxengo Elephant and/or Fabfilter as my go to pre mix track prep compression. Workhorses and amazing. I generally pair them with neb lib compressor (of choice- subjective) following the workhorse compressor. (I use "The Glue" on the busses)

So, audio track xyz:

Fabfilter Pro-C or other (make it right)
Nebula Green Squeeze, Vari Mu, Stripe or other (make it yummy)
Limiter

Will achieve the color, character and peak transient taming you are looking for in my humble opinion. Gain staging will be important and there are far more knowledgable suggestions in the archives here that will shed light on this based on the neb lib you hit it with. Look for posts by the dev and users once you decide which neb compressor lib(s) you choose. If you clip the neb lib, it will not be pleasant, and depending on the imaging, they all are designed to get hit differently.

Something to keep in mind.

Also take a look at reverse compression.
http://www.emusician.com/news/0766/crea ... ion/137260

If you get excited about the cassette mention at the end of the article, check out Tim's cassette emu at Cupwise.

Greedy you clearly are very passionate and we all look forward to you churning out hits.

pw
cpwade

Postby geedy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:17 am

Thanks alot.. I would put up a clip of a song I am working on but im at work right now :/.. I have almost come to the end of my mixing formula (Dr. Evil laugh :twisted: ) But a few things REALLY irrate me about my mixes.. 1. I feel the need to put a Low-pass filter on my mix buss but I CANT FOR THE LIFE OF ME find the right frequency to cut at using a 6db slope.. (I think this one is a none dicussed hidden trick) My mixes ALWAYS sound better doing this im just trying to find the right neb equalizer to do it.. 2. GLUE!!! and im using this term very losely... See I use many vsti's and dont not use ANY compression during my mix process only a limiter om the bass and if a couple kicks get out of hand.. so since my sounds are already ITB i dont think they would need any compressiin until they have reached the Mix buss stage... now I do get the glue i need but there is some type of sheen a musicality that I am not getting at the very end that i am search ing for... And im guessing this is where my search for the best mixbuss compressor is.. O and FYI I think the utost best tracking limiter is the SINUSPEAK compressor/limiter.. it lets tou see the wavform you are cutting as well as the gainreduction you are applyin and COMPLETELY transparent .. no color nothing.. I also add this after the 3db compressor gain reduction to keep the integrity of the neb compressor.. there is nothing like it.. give it a try...
geedy
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Mercado_Negro » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:00 am

The FG-Comp in FG-X is one of the best mixbuss compressors I've heard and used. Though I don't tend to use compression in my master track, when I use it I just put FG-Comp there and leave it at its default settings with a 1.2 ratio and less than 1dB of GR. I remember I also used it once as a leveler with a high ratio and threshold to tame loud passages a bit.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sfunk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 pm

^^^^ so you guys are saying you use Slate over Alex B MWD/4KD and GMD?

I honestly can't bring myself to support Saltes stuff.
sfunk

Postby Mercado_Negro » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:17 pm

sfunk wrote:^^^^ so you guys are saying you use Slate over Alex B MWD/4KD and GMD?

Yes.

I use my tools because they work for me, not because of marketing or "availability". Sound, support, stability and 64bit compatibility is what makes me buy plug-ins, not a bunch of posts in a forum "loving" or "hating" them.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby biomuse » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:46 pm

sfunk wrote:^^^^ so you guys are saying you use Slate over Alex B MWD/4KD and GMD?

I'm no fan of the hype machine either. But FGX works.

Also, it has nothing to do with Slate per se. In general, Nebula dynamics processors simply are not fast enough to act as limiters or fast compressors, due to the way Nebula works. To get really tight control of transients, you have to go algorithmic, and then Nebula can be put on the track as well. That's what's being discussed.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby sfunk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:

Yes.

I use my tools because they work for me, not because of marketing or "availability". Sound, support, stability and 64bit compatibility is what makes me buy plug-ins, not a bunch of posts in a forum "loving" or "hating" them.

So you're saying that the "sound" of Slates compressor is better than what we have in Nebula? Its better than Alex's compressors?

Oh and i don't mean i won't by them because of forum posts, its more down to ethics but thats just me.
sfunk

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries