Login

CDsoundmaster Tapebooster or myself degrading my audio!?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: CDsoundmaster Tapebooster or myself degrading my audio!?

Postby zabukowski » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:02 pm

dikkiedik wrote:
i'v been 'treating' these in my logic session(s) as 48khz, and i'm quite sure my nebulaman is also in set to 48khz.

When rendering, NebulaMan is checking each file's sample rate. According to this, Nebula programs are, if necessary, (re)loaded with correct sample rate.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby ezod » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Barendse wrote:About tapebooster.
To my ears it doesn't sound great on everything. Sometimes I like it on snare and bass gtr. But quite often I'll take it off again. NAG Tape 30ips on the mixbuss brings mostly enough tape dirt for me.

I use R2R on almost everything but could never get tape booster to help it sound better, ever. I have never left it on. I tried changing the various suggested settings cnv rate and made sure the sample rates were the same etc. Maybe I don't get what the process is actually doing; all I know is I try it and take it off.
I would like to try that NAG tape. I just haven't been doing enough projects lately to justify buying another tape prog.
ezod
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby lipa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:23 am

funny.. I`ve got the opposite observations.. when I bought some tape programs I`ve started putting Nag and Studer almost everywhere (along with consoles and stuff)..but.. my mixes soon were too colored and lifeless.. and now I occasionally use tapes and consoles.. BUT I use tapebooster almost everywhere. It`s like injecting pure energy into track. 8-) If You want to rock`n`roll try more then three instances of only (no other tapes) Tapebooster on each track.. and then another three on master ...see what I mean? :mrgreen: and the NAG is really good. it`s the tape I use 90% of the time. definitely worth 15$ (better get the 96khz version)
lipa

Postby scooter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 am

I like Tapebooster+ on buses, mainly Drums or on a parallel bus and in multiple instances. Just one doesn't give the full harmonic effect I'm looking for. I stopped bouncing or rendering with Nebula sometime ago. I'll batch auth in Cubase if the CPU or RAM starts to take too big a hit, but that way I can hear what's going on. Also, working on 96 with TB+ makes quite a difference.

Hope that helps! :-)
-Scott
scooter

Postby dikkiedik » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 pm

hi everyone! just wanted to post my findings i posted to the similar threat i posted on gearslutz here:

armed with the tips, ideas and a occasional analizer plugin i sat down this morning to thoroughly test some methods for my upcoming album.

as i stated in my earlier posts i have been half at lost with nebula for some time now. i own some of the best 3rd party libraries but couldn't make anything work 100%.

well, this is what i have to say now

1) forget batch rendering en masse
2) check everything that you do, rms-leveled in blind abc tests
3) be honest
4) little goes a long way

1) every track, every instrument is gonna have a chain that supports it best in that particular song. saying that AlexB CLC console with an R2R stu15a-10 with a Tape+1dB rendered on all your tracks is gonna improve everything i find hard to believe. i GOT results, but, divided tracks into categories

2 & 3) speak for themselves. DON'T FOOL YOURSELF

4) the subtle changes of different vectors on top of each other (console/tape/tapeboost/preamp/tube/tubeboost etc etc) come slowly to life if you find a chain that supports it. if you put thoses chains together, and treat the mix busses right (with proper gainstaging!) with more console power your track will come to life.

all in all i can say i understand the debate about nebula. i today had the first moment that i could say >> hey, this SOUNDS better, i will use less eq en compressing to get things to where they should be.

it's time consuming to learn, to get the feel, but i think i'm over the biggest hurdle. and it feels good

now time for a break! and i will use nebula extensivly on the whole album.
but i have time...

tnx everyone for chiming in!
dikkiedik
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby musicgreator » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:44 pm

scooter wrote:I like Tapebooster+ on buses, mainly Drums or on a parallel bus and in multiple instances. Just one doesn't give the full harmonic effect I'm looking for. I stopped bouncing or rendering with Nebula sometime ago. I'll batch auth in Cubase if the CPU or RAM starts to take too big a hit, but that way I can hear what's going on. Also, working on 96 with TB+ makes quite a difference.

what does "batch auth in Cubase" mean?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWAN » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:58 pm

scooter wrote:I like Tapebooster+ on buses, mainly Drums or on a parallel bus and in multiple instances. Just one doesn't give the full harmonic effect I'm looking for. I stopped bouncing or rendering with Nebula sometime ago. I'll batch auth in Cubase if the CPU or RAM starts to take too big a hit, but that way I can hear what's going on. Also, working on 96 with TB+ makes quite a difference.

Scott you mix @96k? Do you find CPU an issue?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Sorry, batch process or bounce in Cubase. I can have CPU issues at 96khz and on longer songs can also have hard drive issues. Bouncing internally keeps the CPU issues at bay

musicgreator wrote:

what does "batch auth in Cubase" mean?
-Scott
scooter

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Maybe this is too obvious but keep in mind what TB+ is actually doing: it's adding distortion. That's what saturation is.

I do agree with the person who suggested not batch rendering, though. It's a huge time saver (and sometimes that will be your top priority) but you're processing without even listening to the results, a bit too much like salting your food before you taste it.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries