Login

CDsoundmaster Tapebooster or myself degrading my audio!?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

CDsoundmaster Tapebooster or myself degrading my audio!?

Postby dikkiedik » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:49 pm

hi.

i've been digging deep in testing lots of workflows with nebula the last weeks. i can find a lot of love for most of the programs i purchased/downloaded,
the one big thing i can't really get my mojo on with is the wellknown Tapebooster suite from cdsoundmaster.

i was hoping the chain (as advertised) of an alexB console + R2R tape + Tapebooster would jield great results.

Thing is that if i level match (RMS) my results i always feel that my audio is degrading after i render them trough Tapebooster. i tried hitting it hard, hardly hitting it, and anything in between...

i know i WANT it to work, after all, i paid for it :)
but are there people with the same experience?
maybe it's just not for me, but people have been raving so much about this library i have the feeling i'm doing something wrong!!

i render through nebulaman, normalize (temporarily) to 18 RMS, boost the level some, go to R2R, then go to Tapebooster)

any thoughts would be appreciated!
tnx!!!

[EDIT: by degrading i mean little loss of focus, loss of some basspunch and clarity, messier so to say..]

dikkie
Last edited by dikkiedik on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dikkiedik
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: CDsoundmaster Tapebooster or myself degrading my audio!?

Postby jrasia » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 pm

What do you mean by degraded exactly?
One man's saturation is another man's poison if you know what I mean. A little goes a long way.

If you think its beyond what the program is meant to do, make sure you are using the appropriate program sample rate on your project files. AlexB uses 96k, while Cdsoundmaster uses both 44.1 and 96k for his. Don't quote me on that however. I now record exclusively at 96k these days and its made a big improvement not only sonically but is less taxing on my system if its not having to resample all the time.

I've also noticed changing bit rates in my DAW can make a huge difference in sonics as well. Make sure your audio is staying in 24bit, or 32bit float, etc. I've made that mistake before when I was rendering audio in my projects.
Last edited by jrasia on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrasia
User Level II
User Level II

Postby dikkiedik » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 pm

interesting, sample rate was not one of the things i factored in till now!

well, first thing that comes to my mind would be:
what about mixed sessions?

i'm currently starring at recorded 96khz, some recorded 48khz, some sampled 48khz and some sampled 44,1 khz files.

i'v been 'treating' these in my logic session(s) as 48khz, and i'm quite sure my nebulaman is also in set to 48khz.

i used alexb and sometimes the 44.1khz and sometimes the 96khz programs of cdsoundmaster.
could it be that this myriad of depths somehow put everything off? (ie do i need to set all files to 96, 48 or 44.1 or render them in their appropriate sample rate?)

bit depth is fixed at 24 right now, at least that one's stable :)

thanx for pointing this out to me..
dikkiedik
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby TranscendingMusic » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:42 pm

It's not an issue as long as your rate cnv is set at at least 3000 on the mast page. Converting properly would show a stable sample rate on the front page. Such as
96000 --> 44100. If not set properly, the secondary rate will be blinking. That's when issues can arise.

The perspective quality of which sample rate to use is another story and entirely up to you.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Like said above....
It may be to do with the way your rendering? Are you bouncing down at the same bit and sample rate as your project (24bit, 16bit, 32bit, 44.1/96 etc)

That aside ...

i'm going to start a new thread soon hopefully where we can get into talking of getting the highest quality out of nebula.I think its about time .This is for me and other users . It's been talked about again and again i know!

I hope we can talk more in depth about
Nebula vs nebula reverb
Normal/Econo
Splith/classic
Program rate and ahead time
Rms/evf page (newer envolope followers)

I've been doing a/b's on these for a while now

All of these have a effect on quality and have been talked about but not in the same place on the forum.

If your new to nebula leave these settings to the developers. If you like to tweak and don't mind reinstalling everthing including libarys if it all goes wrong then go ahead.

Also , the talk on convertors to be used on sampling.

For instance you can get a glassy sort of build up (from more than one instance) with certain programs because of the convertors used in sampling.Cdsoundmaster I believe uses mytek which are almost neutral. So multiple tape booster's should been fine.

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby dikkiedik » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 pm

i'm going to start a new thread soon hopefully where we can get into talking of getting the highest quality out of nebula.I think its about time .This is for me and other users . It's been talked about again and again i know!

that seems perfect!
in spite of testing and testing and reading my *** off i still often have the feeling it is hit or miss.
bundled in depth information, from noob to pro would be incredibly useful...
dikkiedik
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:00 am

One thing that you didn't mention is which R2R and TB+ preset you are using that you find to be degrading your audio. Some of them ARE more low-fi, kind of an fx thing.More details would be nice.... And as has been said, all of this stuff is subjective. You either like it or don't. Out of all of the different presets in the R2R library, I tend to only use 1 or 2, maybe a few more as fx. But the ones I like I REALLY like.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dikkiedik » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:42 am

One thing that you didn't mention is which R2R and TB+ preset you are using that you find to be degrading your audio

sorry about that, completely agree.
i am aware of the more lo-fi choices, and the 'degrading' that i'm talking about is only more apparent when i start to combine tapebooster.

in general i find that i had some decent results with R2R otr30atr=0, stu-10-15a & rhythminmind's Sa810 30-10 for tape (although my bass frequencies suffer a bit)

i tried combining these with tapebooster, any of the available programs, and either (when used as single instances) level matched i hear as good as nothing change, or stacked and level matched i'm just loosing definition and clarity.

off course loading the instances gives a short eureka feeling due to the apparent 1 to 2 db boost they give but at the same RMS i don't get excited...

anyone else has the same experience?

thanks for chiming in everyone!
appreciate it!
dikkiedik
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Barendse » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:39 am

dikkiedik wrote:
One thing that you didn't mention is which R2R and TB+ preset you are using that you find to be degrading your audio

sorry about that, completely agree.
i am aware of the more lo-fi choices, and the 'degrading' that i'm talking about is only more apparent when i start to combine tapebooster.

in general i find that i had some decent results with R2R otr30atr=0, stu-10-15a & rhythminmind's Sa810 30-10 for tape (although my bass frequencies suffer a bit)

i tried combining these with tapebooster, any of the available programs, and either (when used as single instances) level matched i hear as good as nothing change, or stacked and level matched i'm just loosing definition and clarity.

off course loading the instances gives a short eureka feeling due to the apparent 1 to 2 db boost they give but at the same RMS i don't get excited...

anyone else has the same experience?

thanks for chiming in everyone!
appreciate it!

Talking about audio degradation.
The only possible audio degradation using Nebula I can think of can be caused by the src.

1. Make sure your programs are sampled correctly to your project samplerate.
2. Avoid src in your project as much as you can.

About tapebooster.
To my ears it doesn't sound great on everything. Sometimes I like it on snare and bass gtr. But quite often I'll take it off again. NAG Tape 30ips on the mixbuss brings mostly enough tape dirt for me.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:51 am

I hope we can talk more in depth about
Nebula vs nebula reverb
Normal/Econo
Splith/classic
Program rate and ahead time
Rms/evf page (newer envolope followers)

Already done > All tips of the month, listed > http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries