Login

Any love for the preamp color suite?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby cactuseskimo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:05 pm

This seems like an insane deal, and it contains a huge number of sweet preamps, so I'm not sure why it doesn't get talked about much.

People seem to get excited about single preamp, or console releases around here, but this one has like 30 or so!

I've been thinking about getting it. Is there something I'm missing??
cactuseskimo
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 am

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby mchillak » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Nope, you're not missing anything. Its a great deal. It was my first 3rd party purchase. Highly recommended.
mchillak
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm

cactuseskimo wrote:This seems like an insane deal, and it contains a huge number of sweet preamps, so I'm not sure why it doesn't get talked about much.

People seem to get excited about single preamp, or console releases around here, but this one has like 30 or so!

I've been thinking about getting it. Is there something I'm missing??


I can only answer for myself, but here goes. I personally think that Alex B has NEVER released anything that wasn't stellar. I love the Preamp Color Suite. I don't use it all of the time, but there is not a single "dud" in there, in my opinion. My guess is that nobody raves about it constantly because
1) It's not new.
2) It's just a given that you have it! None of us talk about how great the Nebula engine is too much either because it's a given that we love it. We just talk about how we could like it more with even more improvements.

Good question though. I do think that people just assume that it's a great tool. While I don't hear much talk of it on these forums, I also have never seen any bad words about it ever.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby Barendse » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm

I have PCS but never use it. Since I'm working at 44.1 I prefer 44.1/48 programs for warming up signals. Another problem for me is that Gdrive isn't working with PCS.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Barendse wrote:I have PCS but never use it. Since I'm working at 44.1 I prefer 44.1/48 programs for warming up signals. Another problem for me is that Gdrive isn't working with PCS.



That's odd, I have GDRIVE working in my PCS. Also, I sometimes work in 44.1 and have been pretty happy with Nebulas down-sampling. You have a different experience with it?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby Barendse » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13 pm

richie43 wrote:
Barendse wrote:I have PCS but never use it. Since I'm working at 44.1 I prefer 44.1/48 programs for warming up signals. Another problem for me is that Gdrive isn't working with PCS.



That's odd, I have GDRIVE working in my PCS. Also, I sometimes work in 44.1 and have been pretty happy with Nebulas down-sampling. You have a different experience with it?


Cubase chrashes here when I use PCS with Gdrive. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that there were more people having problems with PCS and Gdrive.

About the src. To my ears when working at 44.1 with 96 programs there is a lost. It was also noticed in the SOS review btw.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 pm

I don't doubt you, but I don't use any frequency analyzers, I just use my ears. I use 44.1 presets for 44.1 projects when I can, but since all of the console libraries are 96kHz, I obviously still use some 96kHz libraries and my ears say they sound good.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby DavidMeShow » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Do you guys have favorites PCS presets for differents instruments and vocals ?

Thanks ! :)
User avatar
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 am

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

DavidMeShow wrote:Do you guys have favorites PCS presets for differents instruments and vocals ?

Thanks ! :)

I thought I did David, but unfortunately I am finding that relying on what I thought were "go-to" presets leads my music to staleness... I start with something that worked on a different project and often end up with something very different. But being familiar with the unique attributes helps. Also, don't be afraid to look at the graphs, they help me narrow down my searches when I know what I THINK I need.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Any love for the preamp color suite?

Postby Barendse » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 pm

richie43 wrote:I don't doubt you, but I don't use any frequency analyzers, I just use my ears. I use 44.1 presets for 44.1 projects when I can, but since all of the console libraries are 96kHz, I obviously still use some 96kHz libraries and my ears say they sound good.


Who's talking about freq. analyzers? It's easy to do the test yourself. Just set up a chain with about 8 programs. Render a 44.1 track once with 44.1 and once with 96k programs and than listen back. The 44.1 track with 44.1 programs sounds more open and alive to me.

It's too bad Alex B started delivering 96 & 44.1 programs(PTQ/4KD/MWD/VNL) after he did the consoles. I'm hoping for a 44.1 console update, I'm even willing to pay for a 44.1 console update.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests