Login

Cassetteverb A - Cupwise release

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Cassetteverb A - Cupwise release

Postby Cupwise » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:26 pm

This is my first complete set sampled with Lynx Aurora. It's the first in what should be a small series of reverb sets made with different cassette decks being used in their creation. This set used the ADS C3.

Same idea as with my Tube FM 3 set- to get some analog character into the reverbs. They are very dynamic, and change depending on input level. They are all STEREO this time. Most took around a couple of hours to set up before sampling (I put a lot of work into crafting them, I'm not just sending reverb presets through tape), and much more time went into editing them afterwords to make them as efficient as possible without sacrificing anything.

I think they came out great. There's an mp3 demo clip that goes through all 7 (uses each twice, once as a more standard reverb effect, then again with heavier distortion mix).

The complete set has 7 (with 1k and 6k versions).

http://cupwise.com/CassetteVerb.php

-tim
Last edited by Cupwise on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cassetteverb A - Cupwise release (+1 free reverb!)

Postby cpwade » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:56 am

Will do. Tim, I have to say.. I have used the new cassette libs on every project as I wrap up a 40 song library. I really don't get too excited about lo-fi effects, I bought because I wish to support you, and I come from the 80's music industry era and was most curious.

I have to say the libs are amazing and anything but lo-fi. They are amazing character and tone shaping tools, used on every recent mix I've done. Great job.

A steal at the price.
Excellent work and very innovative offering.

So much more than a "it takes me back" plug-in.

Best,

Paul
Last edited by cpwade on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
OS X 10.12 | Pro Tools | Logic | Nebula | Gibson | Marshall | Vintage outboard gear that's noisy & hot |
http://paulwade.net
http://paulwade3.wix.com/paulwade
http://www.facebook.com/bratkatrecords
http://www.facebook.com/SummerwindDirective/
cpwade
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Cassetteverb A - Cupwise release (+1 free reverb!)

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 am

thanks paul, glad you're getting plenty of use out of them!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cassetteverb A - Cupwise release

Postby Cupwise » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:13 am

just did a pretty big update to this library, in my effort to go back and modernize my old releases. i'm about to start emailing the links to everyone who bought it now, but i expect some of those emails will go to dead accounts. so anyone who bought this if you didn't get an email for the update, get in touch with me! here's what's new:

*Moved the programs to a new category inside Nebula- LO9 for 96khz and LO4 for 44.1khz. This is short for 'Lofi reverbs'. I intend to eventually update my other older Nebula reverb library, "Tube FM3" which is similar to this one but used old tube radios, and also place it in this new category. Trying to reduce clutter of having too many categories and also get some similar things grouped together.

*Removed lots of harmonic samples that just didn't have anything but noise floor in them anyway. This library was made before I really did that kind of pruning of the samples. This drastically lowered RAM use, but and also slightly helped lower CPU use too.

*In a few cases the harmonic count itself was lowered from 6 to 5, further improving CPU use, RAM, etc.

*Trimmed lengths of a lot of the impulses in most programs. Again, I hadn't started doing that that back when I first made this library, so I did it now. Lowered RAM and CPU use.

*Tape hiss levels have been reduced in Saturated Stage, which had very noticeable noise. The above mentioned trimming of impulse lengths actually lowered noise levels here (because the ends of the impulses samples were mostly just noise), as well as removing the lowest sampled impulses which are usually the noisiest.

*Saturated Stage was leaning a bit too far to the left so I panned it back towards the center.

*Stygian Tomb is now longer and very different sounding. What happened here is that in the old programs, the first bit of the reverb was cut off because of Nebula's attempt at automatically finding the start of the impulses failing, due to these impulses being a bit unusual. After I trimmed the samples by hand Nebula could see where the start is. Now this reverb sounds very different because we can actually hear the first second or so of it which was getting cut off in the past! I also EQd to lower a 65hz resonance that was very bad. Much better now!

*Buffft got changed a bit also. It has some EQing to reduce some low bass, but more importantly a predelay in the reverb effect was removed which also removed an effect similar to a reverse reverb leading into the buffery effect. This really changes the effect. I kept the old version too, as an alternate choice.

*Every reverb has 2 versions, the main one and a new alternate version. These were made in various different ways. Some are only subtly different, and some are more different. For one of them I used lo-fi digital stretching of the impulses themselves to produce a grungy new reverb, for example.

*The manual has been almost completely re-written. There's info in there describing all of the alternate reverbs now too.

*1k, 6k, and DIST versions in the old library have all been reduced down to just one version, because the CPU/RAM use was improved enough by the other changes that I didn't think it was necessary to have the different versions anymore. The DIST versions probably weren't as useful as I thought they'd be so they're gone.

*The dynamic behavior for all of the reverbs has been updated to match how I've been doing my more recent reverbs. In my opinion this is a more authentic way of doing it and sounds better.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:50 pm

Great Tim, looking forward. Thanks!
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:09 pm

Any news on release for update?
Mac
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:26 am

Mac wrote:Any news on release for update?

yup i released it. do you own the library and didn't get an email with the update? if so can you email me (either directly or through contact form at my site) so i can get it to you?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Mac » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:37 am

Cupwise wrote:
Mac wrote:Any news on release for update?

yup i released it. do you own the library and didn't get an email with the update? if so can you email me (either directly or through contact form at my site) so i can get it to you?

No, I don't own it (yet)...I've got Cassette Decks 1 and 2. I will be buying this tomorrow. Thanks, and looking forward to it.
Mac
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm

i gotta say i really do think the update i did to the dynamic behavior really thickened these up and made them sound more tapey.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries