Alex B's New Compressors....?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Alex B's New Compressors....?

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 pm

richie43 wrote:
Barendse wrote:
lipa wrote:76D was da shit, and FNX is DAAAA SHIIIT! heheh very good stuff.. :D

To my ears 76D was never da shit. For colouring it's usable (line-amp program is really nice) but the compression sounds very strange to me.

From what I remember from using the hardware, the Alex B 76D compression doesn't behave at all like the hardware at higher gain reductions, but that is not a secret, Alex knows this too. But from what i remember of the tonal characteristics AND the compression behavior at lower gain reductions, the Neb version is very nice. But being limited to lower gain reductions is bearable for some Neb compressor libraries, but the 76D sound that many people are looking for is NOT a light or subtle thing. They want to squash and pound the audio! As Nebula's engine improves regarding compressors, at least some of the devs are ready I think.

Really , I don't think it sounds right at lower gain reduction aswell as high reduction.

on 1176 the attack is nothing like this.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:40 pm

To each their own, I guess. I like using it, whether or not it is a perfect emulation or not. I used to use only hardware, and they never behaved the same way twice anyway. As I get deeper into Nebula, I have decided for myself to judge each library by one thing; Do I like what it does to my audio? If so, great. I have quit worrying about how it resembles (or not) the hardware it is supposedly emulating. That's just me, though. I can tell you that I get more work done now, and my audio is getting better and better. Less stress and more music. Good luck! Peace.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sfunk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:19 am

Edit-

They sound nothing like an 1176..........working as a compressor e.g. the compressing curves and gain reduction. It just baffles me how many people keep posting how awesome this collection is. Its the ONLY Alex B collection have been let down by. Alex should have released a line input 1176 and left it at that. Saying this stuff sounds accurate/good does not help potential Nebula supporters. If new users read posters saying these programs are the closest to an 1176 in the plugin world and then download and try them, they will think WTF.

Sorry if that seems a little aggressive. I have edited this post and Alex i certainly am not working for any plugin devs if its me you are referring to :lol:
Last edited by sfunk on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfunk

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:40 am

You have a right to your opinions, of course. But your opinions are just that; your opinions. And while you have that right, so does everyone else. if someone else feels fine about the behavior of any Neb library, who are we to say that they are wrong? For my needs, i get perfectly adequate gain reduction (yes, "compression") from more than one of the Neb compressors. Does it sound like the hardware? I don't know! Do I like the sounds? Yep. Good enough for my ears.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby lipa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:26 am

As to Fenix I got beta from Alex just yesterday.. :mrgreen:

As to 76D.. yes it`s not accurate in ultra fast attack and slamming.. but that doesn`t worry me.. regular plugins will squash audio just fine if I need it.. nebula comps have that smell of hardware that I love..
..for me 76D suite with it being three different units sampled, each with different tone was da shit! Sure I don`t use more than few db of gain reduction, but it sounds great at that. Alex is right on the frontline of nebula compression possibilities.. I would certainly miss 76D if he decided not to release it.
lipa

Postby KP2009 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:34 am

lipa wrote:As to Fenix I got beta from Alex just yesterday.. :mrgreen:

As to 76D.. yes it`s not accurate in ultra fast attack and slamming.. but that doesn`t worry me.. regular plugins will squash audio just fine if I need it.. nebula comps have that smell of hardware that I love..
..for me 76D suite with it being three different units sampled, each with different tone was da shit! Sure I don`t use more than few db of gain reduction, but it sounds great at that. Alex is right on the frontline of nebula compression possibilities.. I would certainly miss 76D if he decided not to release it.

+10000 to that!!
KP2009
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Dogbite » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:53 am

richie43 wrote:You have a right to your opinions, of course. But your opinions are just that; your opinions.

I can see that the sticking point here is the fact that the library is being sold as an emulation of an 1176, which obviously draws comparison between the hardware and the plugin.

In which case it's not entirely subjective.

:)
Dogbite
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby lipa » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:13 pm

yes.. and as that it`s also the closest thing to 1176 that ever landed in Your programs folder. You all know Nebula limitations..it have beed discussed..For now, no 3rd party dev can change the playback engine. Alex stated that his libraries are programmed for the future.. if the Nebula engine is improoved the programs will be more accurate.
lipa

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Dogbite wrote:
richie43 wrote:You have a right to your opinions, of course. But your opinions are just that; your opinions.

I can see that the sticking point here is the fact that the library is being sold as an emulation of an 1176, which obviously draws comparison between the hardware and the plugin.

In which case it's not entirely subjective.

:)

True. I wasn't discounting the fact that it is not perfect, because Nebula is not great at compression, especially fast and heavy compression. But most people who have been using Nebula for a little bit know this. It's not like a dev can release a library that magically makes the capabilities of Nebula better. So as far as I am concerned, when ANY library is released, I read what the dev claims and then apply my knowledge of the current nebula capabilities. From that I base my expectations of the capabilities of the library. And as I've already said (in more than one thread, I am sure), this is emulation, not "reality". It will never be exactly like it's hardware counterpart, ever. So use any library as is and figure out how it helps your work. I just don't see the problem here. It's a good sounding library to my ears and I am not concerned how it relates to the hardware. I am finding great ways to use many of the presets in it. Peace.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby AlexB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:30 am

Mmmmhhh I don't understand all these sterile polemics about the library when on the market there are expensive plugin which sound like crap and some libraries which have a sound really far to the hardware...
We have the demo, so if you don't like it...
It seems that some people works for plugin factories moving a marketing war :!:
Unfortunately I not stop myself, since a lot of guys know that the issue isn't in the library but in the nebula engine, and also know well how to use these programs :mrgreen:
So the FENIX will come the next week 8-)
Pace
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries