Login

Alex B's New Compressors....?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Alex B's New Compressors....?

Postby lipa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:27 am

Hey guys! Today, I`ve had the oportunity to test drive 76D :mrgreen:
..and guess what... IT`S DA BOMB!! I CALL IT THE BEST Nebula library EVER (Tapebooster is a close second). Alex is making finishing touches to further optimise some parameters but already 76D does the best gain reduction I`ve heard in and out of computer (ok..I don`t have pricey hardware comps). Unlike Stripe76, the 76D is very controllable, predictible and very elastic sounding.. making every track alive.. also there is a very nice crunch.. easy to dial. Both attack and release are fully variable from a program (no need to switch program for different release setting which is annoying..). It`s gonna have some special skins.. and it`s coming out soooon. Finally, the 1176 sound is properly recreated in the box, making all kinds of waves cla, ik tracks, softube, stilwell and uad plugs a waste of hard drive space. 8-)
lipa

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Exciting news..... but I'm keeping my Stillwells :mrgreen:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Barendse » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:26 pm

richie43 wrote:Exciting news..... but I'm keeping my Stillwells :mrgreen:

Get rid of plastic compression Richie...

Looking forward to your 76D release Alex!
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Barendse wrote:
richie43 wrote:Exciting news..... but I'm keeping my Stillwells :mrgreen:

Get rid of plastic compression Richie...

Looking forward to your 76D release Alex!

I am looking forward to the release as well! But Barendse, not every tool is good or bad for everyone. Don't buy something if you don't like it, simple as that. In fact, just a few days ago someone gave me the same advice about Nebula as you did about Stillwell plugins. Not everyone's ears hear the same way, and there are many many tools available. Some work better in different hands. I still think that The Rocket and Bombardier are THE tool at times, but that's why I use them and you don't. I certainly wouldn't try to sell you on buying them, but I don't need to. Cheers and have a great day/night.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:23 pm

lipa, is there distortion involved, like 'all buttons'?
How's it doing on vocals?
I've been waiting for this one.
dpclarkson

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:10 am

lipa wrote:Finally, the 1176 sound is properly recreated in the box, making all kinds of waves cla, ik tracks, softube, stilwell and uad plugs a waste of hard drive space. 8-)

Have you compared them? I did and the CLA-76 is VERY close to Alex' 1176 (and the hardware)... very very close.

The CLA Bundle has the best compressors from Waves. In fact, I'd say it has the best LA-2A and 1176 emulations out there (well, now we have Alex's :D ).

Would I buy Alex's 1176 if I had the CLA Bundle? Hell yeah, that's like having The Glue and not having the 4KD :D
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby lipa » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:39 am

Well.. I`ve had cla for a few months on my previous setup.. then sold it (and other waves plugs) when I found softube, stilwell and nebula.. So, no I didn`t make a direct comparision with waves (as I did with all others) yesterday BUT I remember very well how it sounds and what it lacks (which is openess and 3D-ness of hardware - Waves stuff always makes quite good impression but only at first glance).. I also have some samples of dry and procesed tracks with waves cla, different hardware units, and I did comparisions of 76D with waves this way.. I can say that as far as I could check 76D is shoulder to shoulder with hardware while other mentioned plugs always lack something (even if it`s only 3% of "life" in the track, or 10% wrong release curve, or 10% too much squashed sound..). 76D was always spot on. I must say that waves did L2A2 very nice, I loved that one.. Alex if You read this please sample L2A2 soon.. thanks :D By the way, You can check Alex`s GMD compressor.. veeeery good one, I rarely use it on 2Bus (it`s supposed to be mastering one) but it`s great on all kinds of tracks, and has it`s own very distinct flavour (smooth, clean and thick at the same time..).
lipa

Postby lipa » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:52 am

Ok.. maybe I shouldn`t say that all other plugs are waste of space.. I use and like stilwell and softube stuff very much, but I know it`s always more or less behind hardware.. Thanks to Nebula technology and those priceless libraries I was for the first time able to pull out sounds unimaginable for me without a million dollar studio. Now I try to avoid regular plugs and always use nebula. That`s why I`m so entusiastic with every new breakthrough library... and a perfect 1176 recreation is a veeery desired tool in my setup.
lipa

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:16 am

lipa wrote:Ok.. maybe I shouldn`t say that all other plugs are waste of space.. I use and like stilwell and softube stuff very much, but I know it`s always more or less behind hardware.. Thanks to Nebula technology and those priceless libraries I was for the first time able to pull out sounds unimaginable for me without a million dollar studio. Now I try to avoid regular plugs and always use nebula. That`s why I`m so entusiastic with every new breakthrough library... and a perfect 1176 recreation is a veeery desired tool in my setup.

Well, I've really never liked the 1176, either HW or SW. It's just not my type of compressor but for this very same reason I know how it sounds and yes, Alex pretty much nailed it. The CLA-76 is just the best 2nd option.

Btw, did you sell the CLA bundle for Softube's FET?
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby vicnestE » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:41 am

dpclarkson wrote:lipa, is there distortion involved, like 'all buttons'?
How's it doing on vocals?
I've been waiting for this one.

I used 4:1 on a vocal track and the sound is quite amazing.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries