Login

Which console for me?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Which console for me?

Postby jonwb » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:01 pm

I was impressed with the TFT-PRO console demo from AlexB. Really enhanced my material, especially on the mix buss and master sections. That being said, I'm sold on consoles. Question is, what to buy?

I currently own the Mammoth & Doc Fear EQs, and the NAG Tape program. The music probably falls into the "Baroque Pop" category... piano, strings, a.guitar, upfront vocals, light but punchy drums. Think "Greg Laswell".. contemporary sound but sparse instrumentation and arrangements. I'm not well-versed on vintage but I love the analog sound Nebula and its 3rd party vendors have given me. Could someone recommend a specific console program that would further enhance this style of music?

Thanks
jonwb
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Which console for me?

Postby jesse.nemitz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:11 pm

You could get some mileage out of the WHITE console, provided you get a bit creative on the stereo bus as you will get no "warm" low end out of the white... however the filters on the white EQ are unbelievable. You have so much organic instrumentation I'd stick with AlexB pro lineup due to his solid lineup of the best consoles in history:

Vintage N**e
Modern N**e
A*I
Vintage S*L
Modern S*L

The R2R and The AlexB (with proper gain staging) combined with some great compressors would be all you need to mix that stuff.

The sound of the console is so dependent on the way you typically mix. Some mixers sound great coming through A*I if you want to UTILIZE the bump in the low end. Some mixers use the transparency of the SSL9000J and leave the coloring to individual pieces of kit like a pultec, tape stock or compressor type (1176, la2a, fairchild, dbx160) So without knowing your typical flow, the correct console could be any one of those pieces.

Even with plugins in the middle there is such a good balance between Nebula TAPE and the MASTER section on the consoles that you can almost select each per song if you have the flexibility to get at least the N**e WHITE, A*I and SSL9000 MODERN. Those three would be a nice palatte to choose from for any song.
jesse.nemitz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:24 am

For that description: MWC or MLC (I'd go with the MLC but I'm not sure if that'd be "too subtle/modern").
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jonwb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:28 am

[quote="jesse.nemitz"]

Hey great post... thanks for that. Will probably have to stick with one console for the time being. You're right, these are organic components I'm mixing. Never thought about that.

I haven't gotten into compressors yet.. maybe the "glue" effect is already present with the NAG tape and the AlexB console demo? Either way you bring up some good points and this is going to be a more difficult decision than I realized.
jonwb
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jonwb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:For that description: MWC or MLC (I'd go with the MLC but I'm not sure if that'd be "too subtle/modern").

Thanks.. I'll keep using the free TFT-demo for now. Alex's listening room samples didn't encourage a decision for me, and I don't wanna waste $70 on what would probably not add much to my existing setup. Thanks for responding...
jonwb
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:42 am

The beauty of using any console (Nebula OR hardware) is the cumulative buildup of analog harmonic depth. Throwing a buss preset here and there will sound good, but completely recreating the analog signal path through Nebula is a very cool sounding thing. It is not drastic in the way a flanger is (ya know?), but it is not so subtle that it isn't worth it. I almost gave up digital audio and went back to the analog audio I've spent the last 25 years of my music life in until I started using Nebula. My ears tell me it's warm, yummy analog, even though my brain knows better! Good luck with your decision, but any console library is worth it.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby sneaky » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 am

you weell like the free la console http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?f=13&t=2467&hilit=Yuval&rb_v=viewtopic
you weell. mwahahahah.
sneaky

Postby jonwb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:46 am

Hey Rich.. sent you a PM
jonwb
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:51 am

Hey jonwb. I sent you a PM..... 8-)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Barendse » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:21 pm

sneaky wrote:you weell like the free la console http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/index.php?f=13&t=2467&hilit=Yuval&rb_v=viewtopic
you weell. mwahahahah.

Altough Yuval made some great free (!) programs these are not sounding that great to my ears. My favourite console is the SSL4000 from Alex B. It's a little gritty which is why it suits perfect to digital recorded material.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to 3rd party libraries