Login

real rooms are coming.........

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: real rooms are coming.........

Postby Room Hunters » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:43 pm

rrrobo wrote:Just to add, yes you're right it's ok if you're talking about mono sources but when you put a stereo source in the room, you want it to act like it does in real life.

I completly agree with your statements with reverb units. It's completly true. However for "real life" approach, the "theater of life" can bring a lot more than stereo reverb units, let's take exemple of stereo sources :

- a drum in "real life" should be something like 2m width
- a accordion in "real life" should be something like 60cm width
- a violin ensemble in "real life" should be something like 6m width

So it's up to you to put your original stereo signal, to the final virtual stereo field, by metilous appreciation of your own ears.

Additionaly you can put this stereo source anywhere you want, in the "final stereo field".

If you put the left side of your signal to the adequat location of the room, this source will behave under special conditions as you described. If you put the right side of your signal to another place in the room (with other acoustical conditions), all the rest of the stereo field of the original signal, will be between the two places you choses in the final stereo field.

We can't do an automatic "true stereo" processing, I think it's possible with algorithmic reverbs by an M/S analyse of the signal (so it can consider the original width of the signal and do something appropriate). You have to choose the stereo width you want, depending of the source (and actually, it's not a problem, I find that's one of the fun things you can do with the "theater of life").

rrrobo wrote:For anyone that's not familiar with what that is, it's that you get a different response in the left and right ears for a source that is, say, far left of you - there will be more of the sound in the left ear than the right as well as a slight delay, and vice versa for the right ear. But with a mono to stereo (non-true stereo) reverb you get the same response in each ear

With a mono to stereo reverb you won't get the same result in each ear (that's THE WHOLE POINT of this plug in), even if you choose to put the source in the center of the room. I can add the right side of the room sounds different from the left side.

which can sound wrong with hard-panned sources or very wide stereo material.

Well, We can release "hard panned" response of the room (always the extreme sides of the sampled stereo field), but it is just a particular case of the whole possibilities you'll have.

This doesn't at all mean that non-true-stereo reverbs aren't good (Virsyn Reflect and ENXT 140 Plate - two awesome reverbs, both non-true stereo), just that true stereo can sound really good if set up right, and I can't wait to hear it in Nebula.

Yes VNXT is great ! ;)

Thanks rrrobo for your curiosity, I hope I answered clearly to your post.
Virtual Room Miking ?
Room Hunters!
Room Hunters
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Room Hunters » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:47 pm

SWAN wrote:wow exciting to see nice Aqua plugins - hope this does well! Get it out before UAD come out with their room modeller?!

Amazing price!

Thanks !

It does well ;)

We'll release it late in october, and then we release other rooms with improved possibilities. We're looking for charming rooms, "unmodellable" by nature ...
Virtual Room Miking ?
Room Hunters!
Room Hunters
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby vicnestE » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Room Hunters wrote:
SWAN wrote:wow exciting to see nice Aqua plugins - hope this does well! Get it out before UAD come out with their room modeller?!

Amazing price!

Thanks !

It does well ;)

We'll release it late in october, and then we release other rooms with improved possibilities. We're looking for charming rooms, "unmodellable" by nature ...

Really promising.
Could you release some initial audio clips to satisfy our curiosity? :mrgreen:
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby Room Hunters » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:03 pm

I did some drums exemples sooner in this thread :

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... t=20#p3723

edit : wrong post link
Virtual Room Miking ?
Room Hunters!
Room Hunters
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby rrrobo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:39 am

Hi,

If you are capturing rooms with sources in different positions (far left, left, centre, right, far right etc) and providing them as separate programs/responses then we will be able to make true stereo from them by using 2 instances of Nebula and some signal routing. This would be excellent and not so difficult for you to set up I would think.

Cheers and good luck with the development.
rrrobo
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Mirco » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:28 pm

the concept is amazing!!! :o
Mirco

Postby SWAN » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:30 am

Room Hunters wrote:
It does well ;)

I mean - I hope it sells well and is a success when it is launched 8-)
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Garlu » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:49 am

I wonder how it could work on orchestral pieces done with sample libraries.. A lot of times you find they record instruments really close and it´s hard to make it "seat" in the mix and in the correct position.

Are you thinking on sampling more rooms keeping in mind that idea? The closest thing for that is MIR (by VSL) but, it´s really expensive and it takes a loooot of sources from the computer.

Keep us posted!

Thanks!
Garlu
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Room Hunters » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi,

Yes the absolute goal is to sample an orchestral room, with a lot of positions of Speaker / microphones (maybe height of microphones), and different speakers.

But it requires a lot of organisation to do it. We first need to be ready to do this job in perfect conditions. (plus we need to find agreements with owners of rooms). It's gonna be more expansive since it's more time for us, and we need to rent the room for a long time.

So the Theater Of Life is a beautiful room aimed for Jazz production or rock/drums processing. It's easy to use, and efficient in choices. It's quite light in ressources. We know a lot more can be done, but that's a whole job to discover (it needs a lot of time.

The theaters are great rooms for nebula because their RT60 is short (due to intelegibility needs), so the RAM usage can be kept low.

We have issues with the X/Y pad. We hope we can fix it.

I'll keep in tune.

Thanks
Virtual Room Miking ?
Room Hunters!
Room Hunters
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby ericus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi guys,

Any news yet?

Eric