Login

How do you open an .exe file on a Mac?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

How do you open an .exe file on a Mac?

Postby johnnylima » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:15 pm

I just purchased some programs from AnalogInTheBox. The downloads are exe files which I cannot currently open up on my Mac? Any suggestions? I've already emailed support but haven't heard back from them yet so I thought I'd try here.
johnnylima
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: How do you open an .exe file on a Mac?

Postby johnnylima » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Anyone?
johnnylima
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby zaminx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 pm

.exe is Pc

You can use a program called crossover to run the exe installer on a Mac
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby johnnylima » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanks for the information, however, I'm going to have to wait to see if analoginthebox has a different solution as I don't want to have to shell out $40 just to be able to open these programs. I really wish that they would consider that not all of us are on a PC. Now I know what you PC guys feel like when something is only available for Mac. LOL!
johnnylima
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 pm

Not having anything to do with your particular issue (which hopefully will be resolved swiftly for you)...in reference to your musings about cross platform woes...sometimes, when your industry is infused with a lot of Mac users (like Pro audio), it's easy to forget what a truly niche product Mac OS is.

I often wonder why developers even bother trying to make cross platform software; if it's Mac only, okay, then they're catering to the niche, I can understand. I guess Pro Audio is sufficiently niche in itself which makes people on both platforms a potentially important slice of an already limited market. Imagine if all the time spent recoding and porting were spent on product improvement; not for Nebula alone, but for audio software in general. How much better would our toolsets be? I wonder if this OS schism has done more harm than good in that respect.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm on a PC here ...

but really ... all that is being dealt with here is a compressed file in .exe format.

I think that this is just an oversite, and a simple solution to overcome.

Somebody on a MAC has probably purchased from AIAB, and has a user solution ... and the dev sould consider a more universal compression format that can be password protected. I use .RAR.

:|
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries