Login

Vintage Sampler Programs...?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Vintage Sampler Programs...?

Postby MisterE » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:12 am

it would be cool if i could sample my prophet 2002 with its analog filters, but it only holds 8 second samples. i've considered methods of piecing together a full 45second tone sweep from 8 second clips but that would be insane, especially to get the filter out of it. i've also considered trying to just inject a signal into the thing before the filter to bypass the sampling A/D, and also doing that with my korg ex8000, but decided against killing my favorite hardware synth for a dumb experiment...

as far as the vinyl goes, i thought about that a fair amount, but it looks like (and giancarlo said) it isn't really possible to do it, at least not well. your tone sweeps would get out of wack time-wise after going through that process (from cutting AND playback) and so they wouldn't match up phase-wise with the original, which is important. they might even be up to a second longer or shorter. then you'd be in a situation where you would have to consider stretching the wav, which would be tricky to do well, and also involves digital processing of a pretty invasive nature, and after all of that you would still have the phase issue i mentioned above. also you would have the noise issue, and the big problem here is that you can't use any kind of repeat/multiple copies method to reduce the noise, again because of the speed issue. You would probably be lucky to get 50-60db of S/N ratio out of that situation.

I actually emailed a guy who does vinyl rips and posts them on his blog, of mostly classic rock albums, and asked if he wanted to partner in this. I would have paid for the cutting and had it shipped to him. His rips are AMAZING, and that sound in a program would be incredible. I could tell by his one reply that he thought I was a weirdo and by that time I had learned the difficulties/impossibilities involved and decided not to bother him anymore. heh.

I guess you would need a machine that cut and played back at the same time. And someone who was skilled at cutting records who would humor your crazy experiment.
MisterE
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Definity » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:43 pm

MisterE wrote:I guess you would need a machine that cut and played back at the same time. And someone who was skilled at cutting records who would humor your crazy experiment.

Ha, yeah i do see the implications involved now but with a very skilled engineer who has cut records for a long time, jsut might be possible
Definity

Postby ParadigmX » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:58 am

Cool, well that makes sense, if disapointing.

I thought because there were tape programs, vinyl would be similar - but thinking about it I assume that they are done with 3 heads?

Anyway, im back up and running now. Ill get the old akai out from under the spare bed (!) and have a better go at doing the full Akai S2000 AD-DA rather than just a simple monitor. I dont think that truly captured the essence of the Akai. Ill also try overloading the inputs. With a baby inthe house its hopefully something I can do !

I also set up and own the much neglected nebulawiki. I can set up some space on there for the sampler programs so let me know if anyone creates others - I have a particular interest in this !

Cheers

Ben
ParadigmX
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Puranon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:16 pm

Native Instruments did the Vintage Sampler thing on Battery 3.1 and Maschine.
Puranon
User Level X
User Level X

Postby sawan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:58 am

has there been any further developments on sampling s950, sp1200, mpc60 etc?

lots of $s to be made from all the hiphop/dance producers out there who would pay top dollar for those emulations.

is it possible?
sawan
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby SWAN » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:41 pm

if we knew what samplers had real time AD/DA then we could shoot for those as surely just the same as a Pre Amp?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Yeah, in my opinion the end result would be like a preamp program. The idea of emulating that sound is nice, but a pretty big part of that sound is the aliasing/bit reduction, and Nebula can't copy that. So all you would be left with would be whatever harmonics the setup added to your signal, and whatever effect it had on the frequency response, which only counts for half of the sound, and wouldn't be very different from pre programs.

The thing about the sampler sound, if you are talking about classic rap/hip-hop, is that a huge part of that sound was actually from the records the samples were taken from too. Which means the pres, consoles, analog tapes, and everything else that was used to actually record the original, plus the record, finally plus the sampler.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby sawan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:41 pm

also the sound of the inputs being driven, esp on the mpc was a big part of the sound. if i had a better soundcard than my rme multiface i'd have a go myself.
sawan
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby wakestyle » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 am

cool thread, I wanted to say that having vintage samplers made into impulses (or nebula programs) is a totally valid idea, I've used a couple mpc impulses and thought they were cool and would probably use it somewhere if I didn't have my own samplers.

I have a couple samplers here I would like to try and sample... I'm don't understand what is the process to make some programs but I'd be willing to try if I can! Is it just a matter of re-aligning a testtone or does the signal have to be real-time? Because if it's just a matter of realignment there must be someway to tackle this and get good results.
wakestyle
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Andrums » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Maybe this can help you:
3500 Studio Sampler - Color/Texture Nebula Programs

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=2573#more-2573
Andrums

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries