Login

HELP!! Which N**e EQ????????

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

HELP!! Which N**e EQ????????

Postby HIFIDELITY » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Evening All, Wright, im calling on all the nebula crew for some advice! Im looking to buy a N**e eq but with all the choice now i need a bit of help to decide which one suits my needs the best. I mainly produce and mix Drum and Bass/Dance and am looking to get a N**e EQ for mixing Kick,Snare and Bass! but with each 3rd party developer have there own N**e programs i was hoping for some opions on which one people are liking best for processing drums and bass? All opinions are welcome even if they are based on a different eq you may suggest! Many Thanx peace,love and unity
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: HELP!! Which N**e EQ????????

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 pm

I will boldly say get them all. Why? Because not only does Nebula cover so much more ground as far as realism goes and encompassing different variables but each development is unique onto its own. If you were sitting in a professional studio with, say, 3 1073's, neither one of them will sound the same regardless of being the same "brand".
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 pm

I like them all;-) Maybe start with the free programs?
The Fate AITB programs has combo programs for kick & snare wich might be usefull.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:46 pm

I concur what has been said that each Neb library is unique ... which is also very nice.

That said ... I've been working with AlexB 'Modern White EQ' quite alot lately, and beside the great sound, I really like how AlexB implements the variable 'q' function for each of the bands. Not only are the frequencies fully sweepable, but the 'q' widths are too. This makes it very powerful for both broad shaping and surgical demands. :)

I also own all the other N**e libs too, but the AlexB model has kept me from really testing the others as fully as I'd like to have had before deciding which lib will be my go to.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby HIFIDELITY » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Thanx for the replys boys,much appreciated,but maybe i didnt explain myself properly! Trancending hit the nail on the head! If i was in the studio with say 3 1073s,2 LA-2As,2 1176s,2 pultecs..etc I may have a favourite LA-2A out of the two that i like on vocals,one of the pultecs might be better than the other for rounding out the bottom end,out of the 3 1073s one might be great for making the snare cut through the mix and the other two might not shine at this process! So with this in mind,lets say im sitting in a studio with the actual units that alex,miceal,velinas,nik.sampled, which one would i choose on merit to process my snare? I meen,in an ideal world i would love to have them all and be able to make the choice myself,but i just cannot afford that luxury at the moment,money isnt my best freind for time being! and on top of that i already own doc,mammoth,ape,vmq aswell as pro-q,g-channel and alloy in the digital domain! so im well in when it comes to eqs! BUT,with all that said, i was at a freinds studio recently who owns an old 1073 and what that thing done to the snare was simply MAGICAL! and i really really want that magic! and there is only one place this humble little guy is gonna get that? yep you guessed it,nebula! So, Based on the above can everyone who reads this thread tell me which N**e Eq they use on snare! and then hopfully based on the answers the best program might be apparant? Thats just gave me an idea for a poll :P ! Anyway, Thanx in advance for all your help,its much appreciated peace,love and unity
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby SWAN » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:16 am

Kick, snare and bass - are you sure an S*L or A*I EQ might be more suited?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:36 am

For drums I use AlexB's Modern White EQ (its sound is unique, very distinctive), Classic Logic EQ (real good on electronic kicks), the "soon-to-be-born" 73eQ and Analog In The Box's Fate EQ. They all sound different.

If you want an "all purposes" EQ just go and purchase AlexB's Black Master EQ or CDSoundMaster's Focal Point 115HD (I judge the latter by its demo only, I don't own it... yet).
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby fuseburn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:01 am

HIFIDELITY wrote:BUT,with all that said, i was at a freinds studio recently who owns an old 1073 and what that thing done to the snare was simply MAGICAL! and i really really want that magic!

Well, if you're talking about an old 1073 anyway, you should probably go for AlexB's 73eQ which IS an old 1073 ;-) Contrary to AITBs FATE EQ which is a newer 1073.

Then you might wanna check CDSoundmasters N-TEN-AT-4 which is a 1084. Totally different animal though.

But that's about the entire Neve-collection available at the moment. If you're asking for other EQ programs which are also good, you might aswell just buy everything...Sorry, really hard to help making decisions without trying them all, so nobody will be able to save you that time !
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby HIFIDELITY » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:51 am

Swan-Im waiting for Alexs clq which i will buy to go with my clc, and for some reason i dont like A*I on drums! i no thats strange because lots and lots of poeple love it! but i just dont! Mercado negro-From listening to alexs demo of the MWQ i must admit i really do like it,so that is def on the short list Fuseburn-With all due respect mate its not really the time im trying to save,its money! I know the 3rd party programs are dirt cheap to say the lest,but as i said,money is really tight at this moment in time! and add to that a wife and three kids! well u get the drift! Anyway,thanx alot for the replys,i really do appreciate it. One thing that is intresting is that AITB 73 is a newer model and alexs an old model! so based on the fact my freinds unit is an older model,the Vintage73eq may just have that magic im after? So i will probably wait until thats released before i make my final choice. So until that is released i will keep on digging, So more replys are very welcome,even if you are only useing one of the N**e eqs on drums! tell me why you use that one? Once again, thanx to all of you that has replyed so far,i really appreciate it. peace,love and unity
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby fuseburn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Sure, I didn't mean you should buy every single one.
But: Get the demos ! If you heard magic in the real 1073, you'll likely be able to determine which of the 2 nebula-1073 delivers that kind of magic.
Go listen and tell us about it - sorry, no poll or chart in the world will get you around that ;-)

Don't get lost in the variety of programs here. The laws are somehow different. In pre-nebula-times you had to compare 20 EQ plugins to find the one which is 2% better than the competitors (and still way worse than a cheap real analog EQ). In nebula-times, the mark has been raised so much that you're basically comparing competitors playing in the absolute 95%-range. Kind of deciding between Ferrari and Lamborghini.

One single recommendation though: If someone had given me the 1084-FREE-K7 preset some years ago, it would have saved me from wasting loads of time spent in comparing dozens of different EQ-plugins. It's integrated in the N-TEN-AT-4 demo package, go for it ! A kind of "make everything sound good"-machine.
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries