Login

Which Nebula libraries do you use for dance music?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Which Nebula libraries do you use for dance music?

Postby scottkane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:17 am

if you consider the price of 3rd party companies start at 10$ or even 5$ ...

i would say you dont waste your money
Because when you buy something, you really want it
Nebula is like having a secret weapon :P
Cheers!!!
- graphics portfolio - music -
scottkane
User Level X
User Level X

Postby CoolColJ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:54 pm

As far as big kicks and bass goes

CDSM Nice EQ and AlexB's Vintage 73EQ are unmatched, just based on the demos and free versions

Nice EQ Tube version does something to the sound that none of the other EQ can match, and certainly none of the algo EQ plugs!

V 73EQ has the dryer solid state sound, but the bass boost bonk hits hard and full on kicks
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby CoolColJ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Ferric TDS is a very nice, and free tape saturation VST that can be used before a R2R tape Library to get that squish and crunch that Nebula can't deliver.
Even tape booster doesn't do the same thing after 12 stacks :twisted:

No need for Soundtoys Decapitator with Ferric TDS, and the guy behind it has a free transformer saturator thing that gives a different tone

For dance, I prefer the NAG tape set though. It adds a lot of punch on 30ips setting for masters

But for bass tones, RtoR Revox is a must, if you want those deep, oozey, and growly dub and hip hop bass tones.
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby faun2500 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Check my sig for a couple of Hard dance/hard trance remixes I have coming out soon made in Reaper using Nebula extensively.

I am just about to add about 5 new tracks being released on Hyperdrive Recordings. Although Nebula wasn't used much on these as they were started some time ago, the different in space, 3d'ness and dynamics, separation etc.. between these tracks and the newer ones is quite clear to me.

Here's what I find most useful for my dance tracks (I have also released breaks and dubstep for the last few years but never happy with the mixes).

EQ:

AITB 1073. In my opinion this sounds better than the UAD 1037 which I also have. It has a distinct sound and the bass is the phattest of all eq's I have!

Mammoth - Lovely smooth eq, broader but its not surgical so for that I use Alex B MLEQ - This gets used a lot especially the filters and it is very surgical and has a sound with I think is punchy and bright.

Doc fear I use quite a bit and not so much the APE but sometimes to mix things up.

Compressors

2 of my favourites are Alex B's MWD and 4kd. I always use sidechain for bass heavy stuff. The S*L bus comp goes on every track in the mastering stage.

The 1176n comp is great for adding punch & snap the DME 1968 has a big, deep sound, the FATE is clicky and deep and has a distinct sound and the 165a is another favourite in certain situations needing punch and added transients and the Vari mu is a bright and is slower and more difficult to control but good for things like pads/strings.

R2R - This is ESSENTIAL to me! Forget the rock guys. Your dance bass needs some of this! Some of the 'narrow frequency programs for mid bass and fx'. Every track I do also gets R2R and tape booster in mastering. Also great for pads, synths basically everything, run your dog through it too.

Vintage TUBES - REMOVE THAT STALE DIGITAL SUPER BRIGHT EAR BLEEDIN' TREBLE! I use these of things like hi hats, percussion loops, software synths and anything that needs some of the top end tamed or some crunch. You can really thicken hi hats with this.

Console - Modern Logic Console. This does do something nice! I don't care what anyone says. On every track, then every bus, then the master.

PCS - I use various preamp programs on every soft-synth in a track. Sometimes I might use 2 of the same program straight after the synth and drive them both.

Reverb I don't use in nebula as I am happy with UAD and impulses and cant afford the CPU use.

And finally - GMC - I master my tracks with this and the other plugins mentioned.

Also, while some people might feel that its not worth consoles because your tracks are going to be squashed to shit anyway, I have found that the more dynamic and less limited my tracks are the better they sound. I went through years of release dance music and squashing it and hated it. I grew up with tapes and vinyl and listen to my old trance or drum n bass collection is a joy. Listen to modern mp3 is not! lol. :)

I no longer clip my masters as much as most other dance music as I have found I cant even listen to those tracks on headphones anymore. This has been a bit of a revelation to me actually and I now get the mix loud first and keep a dynamic range of between 9 to 7. TTD meter is good for checking that.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby faun2500 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Some direct links for you in case your interested in listening too the results. :)

Silencers - Forever - 100mg Remix - Hard Trance (Black Heart Label) Clip - (Quite a bright mix this one) :P

http://soundcloud.com/100mg/silencers-f ... 00mg-remix

David Mcrae - Never Forgotten - 100mg Remix - Clip (Hard Trance) (Something a bit deeper, mix wise).

http://soundcloud.com/100mg/david-mcrae-never-forgotten

P. Nichol - I'm Busy - Preview (Progressive Trance) (Forthcoming - Black Heart Label) - This is Progressive/Tech Trance. A Bit electro sounding and is actually a bit more squashed that the others but far from the point of distortion. :)

http://soundcloud.com/100mg/p-nichol-im-busy-preview
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby CoolColJ » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:27 pm

I don't like any of the Nebula compressors - they may sound they part, and that's why I got them for the colouration, but they don't compress right...

Even my cheap F*******e Compounder kick their asses
Hardware > software as far as compressors go, largely due to the speed that processes have to go through and the huge dynamic shifts :evil:

Oh I find the S*L Consoles a bit sterile and thin. I think the MBC and MWC are the 2 best for dance, rich. MWC has nice bass.... try the RND5088 preset for a taste... or the AlexB Fifty88 MB program in the preamp section
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby faun2500 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:21 pm

I guess its just how you use them.

I use them mainly for adding transients to sounds (kick, snare, clap etc.. or weight to mixes or groups or maybe controlling the volume of a synth pad or smoothing out the peaks on a master.

They work great for any of these but today compression is abused so if you just want to 'smash the *' out of everything then you might not appreciate the loving touch of a Nebula compressor. ;)

For classic pumping side chain drums try the FATE LIMITER.
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby faun2500 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:27 pm

CoolColJ wrote:I don't like any of the Nebula compressors - they may sound they part, and that's why I got them for the colouration, but they don't compress right...

Hardware > software as far as compressors go, largely due to the speed that processes have to go through and the huge dynamic shifts :evil:

Oh I find the S*L Consoles a bit sterile and thin. I think the MBC and MWC are the 2 best for dance, rich. MWC has nice bass.... try the RND5088 preset for a taste... or the AlexB Fifty88 MB program in the preamp section

Do you have any dance tracks uploaded with the MWC or MBC that we can check out?
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby CoolColJ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:38 am

faun2500 wrote:
CoolColJ wrote:I don't like any of the Nebula compressors - they may sound they part, and that's why I got them for the colouration, but they don't compress right...

Do you have any dance tracks uploaded with the MWC or MBC that we can check out?

I don't have them yet, just basing my opinions on Alexb's demos and the in the console thread, and the presets that use Alexb's RN5088 programs
MWC = extra bass! Maybe too much, so I'm leaning towards MBC

I tried the free TFT program but it didn't sound too good...

I also bought the U21 Vintage Iron transformer program from STN yesterday and boy does it work!
Adds a certain fullness to the bottom end and creaminess to the sounds, smooths out the roughness and adds a 3D sound to software algo compressors when placed after them!

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=1492

There are a few software compressors that can do some nice things like Softtube CL1B and Voxongo Deft Compressor, snappy, but they lack the hardware tone.
Placing the Transformer program after them adds presence! 8-)
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby CoolColJ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:34 am

Thinking about the Nebula compressors, it's the release that doesn't seem to work properly.

If you use a short release time the sound should slam back into your face, but none of Nebula ones do that.
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries