Login

Which Nebula libraries do you use for dance music?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Which Nebula libraries do you use for dance music?

Postby nicolasmasset » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to take the plunge and go for nebula pro3 but am wondering which libraries I should get to get a punchy house mix. So far I've read to go for the r2r bundle, doc fear eq, and a couple of the alex b consoles, but people always seem to talk about rock or pop etc.

Any tips on how I would stack nebula in the mix or which elements get which treatments are more than welcome. My thoughts so far are to use the alex b console emulation on every track to get separation (but which one for dance?!), use the eq's, and leave the compressors duties for other plugins, delays I'll also get my soundtoys bundle.

I was also thinking of upgrading the soundtoys bundle to get decapitator, but isn't getting r2r AND decapitator going to be a bit of a double dip? Or is there still no competition? :)

Regards,

Nicolas
nicolasmasset
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Which Nebula libraries do you use for dance music?

Postby scottkane » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm

I use dirty tape saturations,eqs from AlexB and AITB
and ofc preamps etc, they all give a good feel and color
Cheers!!!
- graphics portfolio - music -
scottkane
User Level X
User Level X

Postby highvoltage » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:45 pm

nicolasmasset wrote:
I was also thinking of upgrading the soundtoys bundle to get decapitator, but isn't getting r2r AND decapitator going to be a bit of a double dip? Or is there still no competition? :)

Regards,

Nicolas

nebula cant get even close to the amount of saturation you can get with decapitator. (except if you stack up 24 tapebooster+) ofcourse decapitator was deisgned to have a tube sound not a tape emulation, but you can't get that great colour from it like from the R2R programs.
I think they are a great combo to compliment each other.

As for eq i can recommend the Mammoth eq for electronic music, cause it has a certain shine and kinda 'new school' sound to it.
Doc Fear is a must have for high air boost on vocals, and everything else.

I really like the Fate Eq to boost the bass a bit, but my new love for bass boost are the free programs from 'rhodes54':
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
highvoltage

Postby mertayy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:23 pm

http://www.transcendingmusicstudios.com/nebula.html try Behemoth and So Transcited.

Also this can work, http://www.rhythminmind.net/presetblog/ ... a-program/

My experience is more on the mastering side for electronica so these will probably work better for buss duty's.
mertayy

Postby scottkane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:25 am

Sorry i didnt read your whole post...

As you said, you need some good EQ, and some good saturation programs... No matter the genre you can use them to get the characteristics of the analog gear sampled

isnt that enough? :P

also most of the developers give a free "minimal" version just to get the idea

scott
Cheers!!!
- graphics portfolio - music -
scottkane
User Level X
User Level X

Postby tumburu » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:33 pm

I do dance seven days a week.

1 - you need the best eqs you can. Focus on that

2 - preamps (or consoles) are very good for voices or real instruments (not a must for synths).

In the end the music will be so squashed that the console on each channel will make a small and optional difference.

Proper eq-ing is the main priority, in my experience.

All the tapes and consoles can work better on some certain instruments but if used on every track they can make your mix sound somehow retro which is not really what the dance music sounds like.

To conclude, my advice would be that you should focus primarily on eqs, some preamps for voices and optionally add console or tape programs on busses.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby nicolasmasset » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, very informative and downloading now! :) Please keep em coming!
nicolasmasset
User Level II
User Level II

Postby nicolasmasset » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:08 pm

What do you guys think about r2r and tapebooster+ for dance? What's the difference? I'm actually enjoying the r2r demo but am wondering if it's going to be too much putting tape on tracks AND going through a console..
nicolasmasset
User Level II
User Level II

Postby tumburu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Just use what sounds best. There are no rules, in fact. Don't use consoles AND tapes only because you can. Take a hybrid approach.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby nicolasmasset » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Tumburu, oh yeah I know I'll have to decide for myself, but it's just to get a general idea before shelling out my cash, and having never owned any hardware, any opinions or experience might help me better understand the sonic qualities of all these libraries. I'm not looking for the holy grail, I'm looking to read and learn, and then buy and learn some more.
nicolasmasset
User Level II
User Level II

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries