Login

Cupwise release- Cassette Deck 2- New effects just added!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Cupwise release- Cassette Deck 2- New effects just added!

Postby Cupwise » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:12 pm

The set was made with a deck with a very smart design, which can play/record at double speed. I'm not going to go into more details about that stuff here, because my site has that info, and the manual. Instead, I'll compare it to cassette deck 1. I've had people email me, telling me they loved Cassette Deck 1's lo-fi sounds. Honestly, I was a *bit* disappointed with it when I released it (partly why I set price so low), because of the fact that no effects DID go up to 20khz+. I liked the lo-fi sound of the ones that cut highs more, but I wanted at least maybe one of the metal tapes to have a fairly flat response. I expected a bit too much from the format.

This set (Cassette Deck 2), however, met that expectation. With CD1 I wanted at least a few effects that didn't filter heavily, and could be used as subtle tape enhancers, to give harmonic saturation. This set delivers that. There are some HUGE lo-fi effects with it too. :D

Another comparison with CD1- CD1 effects were split in two for a 'hi' and 'lo' version. They had around 20db sampled in 1db steps, but I had to use the top 10 and bottom 10 steps separately, because having all 20 together caused artifacts. Since then, I've figured out a couple of ways around that issue. These have around 25 steps each- all available in 5 and 10k. Gdrv is present and GREAT here. The freq responses go past 20khz for many, and down below 20hz!!

EDIT- demo effects are up now!

http://www.cupwise.com/CassetteDeck2.php
Last edited by Cupwise on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- Cassette Deck 2

Postby marcpinol » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:03 am

I was one of those Cassette Deck 1 big fans! Actually, I was so fan that I bought a Tascam 122mkIII last week. Now I'm in love with cassette dynamics, but also with the wow & flutter, the crazy tape crosstalk and all that strange artifacts that made a mix freakier :-)

Even though I have a real cassette deck, I have to say that the demos sounds dope and I'll probably bought it sooner or later.

Congratulations, Tim!
marcpinol
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Cupwise » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 am

ah! yes the tascam is a pretty cool deck. i like the pitch variation knob- you can get some intense effects twiddling that while playing/recording. using feedback through your d/a a/d loop while doing that, you get a flange-like effect that's pretty huge.
this whole track of mine:
http://cupwise.com/music/4-A2D.mp3
used the deck as a master effect. i recorded the finished thing to several different tapes on the 122, and then just went through and picked which one i liked best for every 10 or so seconds, and edited the different takes together. it wasn't quite as thick before that...

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:02 pm

i got the demo programs up. there are 3. there's one that's fairly flat all across the spectrum that can be used for some subtle tape enhancing. another has a bump in the high end that is pretty common with this deck. the last filters highs a good bit, leaving a huge, fluffy, bassy sound. the first two have 4k, the last 2k. in the full set every effect comes in 5 and 10k, so that's one limitation of the demos. the other is that they have had some of their dynamic steps removed, down to 16 from ~25.

the full versions ARE better, but these are still good. should work with free nebula.

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby marcpinol » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Cupwise wrote:ah! yes the tascam is a pretty cool deck. i like the pitch variation knob- you can get some intense effects twiddling that while playing/recording. using feedback through your d/a a/d loop while doing that, you get a flange-like effect that's pretty huge.
this whole track of mine:
http://cupwise.com/music/4-A2D.mp3
used the deck as a master effect. i recorded the finished thing to several different tapes on the 122, and then just went through and picked which one i liked best for every 10 or so seconds, and edited the different takes together. it wasn't quite as thick before that...

-tim

This track is sweet, Tim! Kinda scary too, because is the kind of music I'm trying to do right now. Pitching ambiences, taking profit of the extreme tape crosstalk, etc. Some people think I'm sick, but man, I love to do this experiments so much... :-)

I just found by accident this AD/DA flanger thing a couple of days ago and I was like WTF. Really interesting!
marcpinol
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby rhythminmind » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Demos sound great, can see this being a great tool to create dramatic transitions.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com
rhythminmind

Postby the19thbear » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:17 am

In your demo at 1:24 (i Think)
WOW! That is the Sound of my childhood!:)
I love that Sound. Great job!:)
the19thbear
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Cupwise » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 pm

so i inadvertently sampled your childhood into a nebula effect?

i guess none of us knew the true power...

wait, what demo are you talking about anyway? now i'm a little curious to hear what this guy's childhood sounds like... ;)

heh

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- Cassette Deck 2- New effects just added!

Postby Cupwise » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:08 pm

ok so, i just got a lynx aurora 8, and have been itching to do something with it.

i added 4 more effects, sampled from each type of tape (I, II, III, IV), to the set. each done with the lynx. new effects are 3C, 8C, 9C, and 15.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Cupwise release- Cassette Deck 2- New effects just added!

Postby cpwade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:26 am

ah dammit! now I have to buy..
cpwade

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries