Login

MC77 (1176) Saturation Programs

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

MC77 (1176) Saturation Programs

Postby lordnielson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:14 pm

This first one is an 11 kernel, 96khz program of my Purple Audio MC77.
Max distortion. All dials at 11. If sonic integrity is your priority then avoid this program.

Nebula isn't able to capture the amount of distortion, nor the complete tonal spectrum of the original unit, but this is probably as close as it gets.

I've noticed some static like noises at times with this program, but since there isn't really any consummate Nat information available I'm not able to analyse nor ameliorate it.

More to come I assume.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5VVX6SEF

Dropbox link to all my programs soo far:
http://db.tt/gZGzOP

Torrent on Nebula-Programs
http://www.nebula-programs.com/viewtopic.php?t=659
Last edited by lordnielson on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
lordnielson

Re: MC77 (1176) Saturation Programs

Postby SWAN » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:29 pm

cool I love driven programs! Nothing like driven analogue gear - and Nebula catches it so well when you switch it in I can hardly believe its a plugin producing that sound that comes out...Man I love that Henry Olonga Power Distortion.
But hey I ought to try this before gushing!
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby rhodes54 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:47 pm

lordnielson wrote:This first one is an 11 kernel, 96khz program of my Purple Audio MC77.
Max distortion. All dials at 11. If sonic integrity is your priority then avoid this program.

Nebula isn't able to capture the amount of distortion, nor the complete tonal spectrum of the original unit, but this is probably as close as it gets.

It is very good possible that your converters are the cause of the fact that the unit doesn't sound like the original.
Maybe you can try to lend a 'serious' converter like a Prism sound for example. Skip all the Motu/M-audio/RME/etc. stuff. You will lose too much. Although most of the cheaper converters might have a flat/good frequency respons it doesn't say anything about the soundquality.
Most of them sound flat (not dynamic), muddy bass, agressive or dull highs. This is caused by the designs which need to be cheap. Low quality onboard clocks, badly designed power supplies, cheap opamp circuits, etc.

p.s. I don't know what kind of converters you use but I don't mean to run your (and other peoples) converters into the ground. For most people these cheaper cards will do just fine but for a serious job like this quality converters are a must in order to make the perfect 'blueprint'.
It's like taking a picture with your mobile phone (onboard sound card), a €300,- costing Canon (Motu card) and a very serious SLR camera (the Prism sound/DCS or DAD).
The picture taken with the Canon will look very nice until you take the same picture with a serious camera and compare them.
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby rhodes54 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:49 pm

p.s. out of curiosity: How dows it show up in Nebula? As 11 kernel program? I just NEED to figure out why I don't manage to create a 3 kernel program... ;)
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby lordnielson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:25 pm

rhodes54 wrote:
It is very good possible that your converters are the cause of the fact that the unit doesn't sound like the original.
Maybe you can try to lend a 'serious' converter like a Prism sound for example.

Cheers Rhodes, but I'm using a Lynx L22 which I believe a lot of people rate just below or rather close to Apogee stuff but definately quite a bit higher than RME, Motu etc.

It's simply that Nebula has a problem with full-on distortion like a very driven 1176 will exhibit. Similar to the problems it has capturing compression. All in good time I'm sure. But I'll probably keep experimenting and maybe find a loophole somewhere that'll allow for some more dirt.

The programs show up in Nebula as 11 kernel 96 khz.

Gotta go find that Olonga distortion now :)
lordnielson

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:29 pm

rhodes54 wrote:
lordnielson wrote:This first one is an 11 kernel, 96khz program of my Purple Audio MC77.

Maybe you can try to lend a 'serious' converter like a Prism sound for example. Skip all the Motu/M-audio/RME/etc. stuff. You will lose too much. Although most of the cheaper converters might have a flat/good frequency respons it doesn't say anything about the soundquality.
Most of them sound flat (not dynamic), muddy bass, agressive or dull highs. This is caused by the designs which need to be cheap. Low quality onboard clocks, badly designed power supplies, cheap opamp circuits, etc.

p.s. I don't know what kind of converters you use but I don't mean to run your (and other peoples) converters into the ground. For most people these cheaper cards will do just fine but for a serious job like this quality converters are a must in order to make the perfect 'blueprint'.
It's like taking a picture with your mobile phone (onboard sound card), a €300,- costing Canon (Motu card) and a very serious SLR camera (the Prism sound/DCS or DAD).
The picture taken with the Canon will look very nice until you take the same picture with a serious camera and compare them.

I don't know if you're making this case specifically as it applies to NAT (I honestly can't comment) but I do think the entire industry has gone way overboard in comparing high end and more middle end converters. If the difference was so huge any one of a number of AB/X tests would have made this abundantly obvious, but it never is; after the smoke clears people are generally about as unsure about their hypotheses as they were before testing. It always ends up coming back to "I don't care what the test proved, I hear the difference," which is fine but it fails to take into account the rather MASSIVE impact of expectation biases and other cognitive prejudices. I'm sure there are differences, specifically in the analog components of many of these converters, but I think the comparison of a webcam to a professional shooter is a pretty big exaggeration. We're talking about differences that would null to a rather low level.

Out of curiosity, lordnielson, have you ever checked out the 1176 saturation programs in the RASS? Just wondering how it compares to those; I won't be able to check this program out until I get home later.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby lordnielson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:57 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
Out of curiosity, lordnielson, have you ever checked out the 1176 saturation programs in the RASS? Just wondering how it compares to those; I won't be able to check this program out until I get home later.

I've never encountered any 1176 programs before so I've no idea how this compares.
I'm not even quite sure what exactly my program does. It certainly does something when applied in series or across more tracks. It adds bite to the transients or refreshes them and brings them forward. Haven't had time to use it much myself but there's some heft and dirt for sure.
lordnielson

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:38 pm

lordnielson wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:

I've never encountered any 1176 programs before so I've no idea how this compares.
I'm not even quite sure what exactly my program does. It certainly does something when applied in series or across more tracks. It adds bite to the transients or refreshes them and brings them forward. Haven't had time to use it much myself but there's some heft and dirt for sure.

Very cool, can't wait to check it out. I was always amazed at how much the RASS programs sound like they're compressing (the effect on transients you are describing) considering they actually aren't compressing anything. I think the ones in RASS are mostly old units so I suspect yours might sound a little different. Thanks for sharing!
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks
Testing it out now
Hmmmm.. but I can't really hear it doing anything.

Edit: well on second thought... maybe it is adding a little top-end grit and a low-end womp,after flipping the polarity for a null test

Edit 2: Actually, this preset isn't doing anything, that I can tell.
I loaded NebulaPro3 Reverb with out any presets loaded and rendered a mix-down. When I flipped the polarity to compare it to the original track, it had the same low-end bump and high-end lift. What gives? Could this be an error in the NebulaPro3 Reverb programming? Shouldn't the original track null with the file that had NebulaPro3 Reverb loaded without a preset/library loaded?

EDIT 3: Actually, this could have been a ReaperX64 issue.
I'm not getting the same results. And I can hear the distortion. This preset really makes transients explode unpredictably.
Last edited by scooter on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Scott
scooter

Postby everbeatz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanx a lot!! ;)
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries