Login

Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby piperboy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:33 pm

Thank you for your work!!!!!!!!!
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:12 am

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby tumburu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:02 pm

OR do also 44.1 and 96. I'm not crazy about that 96 thing. I tended to master at 96 especially for avoiding long loading time for conversion of the Nebula eqs.

But even my Lavry seems to clip better at 44.1, don't ask me why. So I see the 44.1 programs a lot more practical in the present day.
User avatar
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby Owen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:27 pm

rhodes54 wrote:Yes, it definitely does as the passive EQ is followed by a SRPP tube gainstage.

This is doable for me. I might start sampling the whole EQ in the future. But I first need to find out how to sample multi kernel programs and try to get rid of the "sampling on 96K" problem I had. If I start sampling, I wanna do it correct. You don't want to do this twice LOL ;)


Great to hear. One can never be sure, not all gear is equal when it comes to colouring :) There seems a fair bit of interest, so I'd say you'd make a few people's day if you did this.

If you could tell us a little more about your setup (OS, Audio chain etc) and exactly what your symptoms/issues are with 96khz we might be able to help you out.

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 am

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby rhodes54 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Owen wrote:Great to hear. One can never be sure, not all gear is equal when it comes to colouring :) There seems a fair bit of interest, so I'd say you'd make a few people's day if you did this.

If you could tell us a little more about your setup (OS, Audio chain etc) and exactly what your symptoms/issues are with 96khz we might be able to help you out.

Owen ;)

The issue I have when sampling on 96K is that the individual samples you need to create a program seem to have volume differences.
For example: the 10Khz, +3dB sample was softer than the 10Khz, 0dB sample. The 10Khz,+6dB was slightly louder than the +3dB sample but still softer than the 0dB sample.

I checked all my outgoing and incoming levels and they have been the same all the time so it seems that NAT does something strange with these files when working on 96K because when going back to 44.1K the problem is solved.
User avatar
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby rhodes54 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:17 pm

tumburu wrote:OR do also 44.1 and 96. I'm not crazy about that 96 thing. I tended to master at 96 especially for avoiding long loading time for conversion of the Nebula eqs.

But even my Lavry seems to clip better at 44.1, don't ask me why. So I see the 44.1 programs a lot more practical in the present day.


LOL, that's the biggest problem: if you need to do both you double the amount of work.
Sampling the N*****n EQ was +/- 8 hours of work. And that only has a fixed low and high band (10 setting each) and a 7 mid frequencies with 5 gain settings. This gives a total of 10+10+(7x5)35= 55 samples. if you want to do this on two sample rates and also create 1 and 3 kernel version you suddenly need to do 4x55=220 samples...

No have a look at this picture and start calculating. (Damn, I don't want to know.)
11 frequencies per band
+ and - settings
variable Lo-Hi Q (let's say we sample this in 5 steps)
variable gain (let's say we sample this in 9 steps)

That would give a 11x2x5x9=990 samples per band!
User avatar
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby lordnielson » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:42 pm

rhodes54 wrote:No have a look at this picture and start calculating. (Damn, I don't want to know.)
11 frequencies per band
+ and - settings
variable Lo-Hi Q (let's say we sample this in 5 steps)
variable gain (let's say we sample this in 9 steps)

That would give a 11x2x5x9=990 samples per band!


Whadda monster!

I'd probably just do a single program with like the 16 or 18k band. Just sample the absolute shite out of that one and try to generate the ultimate Nebula high-shelf program. The one to beat them all. Then maybe do a low-shelf a few months later.

But definately try to think quality and not quantity. 25-50 mediocre programs ain't gonna do anybody any good.
lordnielson
Member
Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby rhodes54 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:24 pm

lordnielson wrote:Whadda monster!

I'd probably just do a single program with like the 16 or 18k band. Just sample the absolute shite out of that one and try to generate the ultimate Nebula high-shelf program. The one to beat them all. Then maybe do a low-shelf a few months later.

But definately try to think quality and not quantity. 25-50 mediocre programs ain't gonna do anybody any good.


I've been thinking: The gain is variable which means that if we decrease the amount of steps to 2 (no gain - full gain) or 3 (no gain - half open - full gain) I can reduce the amount of samples a lot.
For the Q factor we also could go for three samples: Hi-Mid-LO Q
With three samples it would give 11x2x3x3=198 samples per band. Still a huge amount but lot less than 990 samples.
Do you think Nebula's interpolation technique will be good enough for this?
User avatar
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby rhodes54 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:26 pm

lordnielson wrote:Whadda monster!

And it sounds as good as it looks, or better. ;)
User avatar
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby lordnielson » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:19 pm

rhodes54 wrote:With three samples it would give 11x2x3x3=198 samples per band. Still a huge amount but lot less than 990 samples.
Do you think Nebula's interpolation technique will be good enough for this?


Don't really know anything about the interpolation function to be of much use to you there(still haven't sampled an eq, mind you). But logically you are asking software to deliever a binary interpretation of organic electrical components.
I see how it's very tempting with regards to workload but I'm not sure you're doing the unit sonic justice.

I thought about doing an interpolated program of my Sebatron VMP's bright mode coz it sounds like 10-12 db boost. But that's more in the fun department.

Your Gyraf is a very expensive lady and should be treated with respect. :mrgreen:

Best to consult Giancarlo about this. Or the imaginary Nat Bible.
lordnielson
Member
Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Re: Request for CDSoundMaster & AlexB

Postby Owen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:41 am

rhodes54 wrote:I checked all my outgoing and incoming levels and they have been the same all the time so it seems that NAT does something strange with these files when working on 96K because when going back to 44.1K the problem is solved.


Not to sound patronizing, but are you absolutely sure that in your ASIO control panel the correct rate is always shown and that your hardware is clocked to 96khz?(And stays that way once set!?)

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests