Login

FREE rare N*****n PEV & PEV B EQ's

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

FREE rare N*****n PEV & PEV B EQ's

Postby rhodes54 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:28 pm

<Download link updated 03/02/2012> (Thanks Barendse)

I recently purchased Nebula and I'm impressed by its sound quality and the possibilities it has.
This weekend I had the change to bring home a rack with the classic N*****n PEV and PEV B EQ's. A nice opportunity to test N.A.T. 3 and sample the EQ's.

Although I had some trouble during sampling and didn't have the time to make good measurements of the units first I think I made some very nice and nearly perfect copies of the original.
One of the things that didn't work correctly was sampling at 96Khz. This gave some very strange volume differences between the different samples. Going back to 44.1KHz solved the problem. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to solve the 96K problem so I decided to do them @ 44.1. Better a good preset at 44.1K then a bad one on 96K.

I made 3 and 5 kernels samples. Only the low and high bands have been sampled with 5 kernels because I didn't have more time.
I haven't had the time yet to compare the 3 and 5 kernel versions but I did compare the 3 kernel versions to the original unit, and they sound VERY much alike.

One thing I couldn't check is if the volume settings of the presets have been saved correctly.
If you open the presets and you suddenly lose +/- 15dB of gain, than I did something wrong. ;)
You can compensate the gain by going to PROG-> EDIT -> GLOB and then increase the output gain. Depending on the preset +/- 15 to 18 dB gain needs to be added.
I'm not sure why I lost so much gain during sampling but that's something I still have to figure out as there isn't a NAT manual available yet.

All I ask in return for these free presets is your opinion about the sound of the EQ's! Of course tips and advice are also welcome.

About the EQ's
The N*****n PEV is the first EQ from N*****n and brother to the PV-76 preamps. The PEV B is a later revision and has more controls but also a different sound. Both units have an amazing discrete interior construction with transformer balanced inputs and outputs and a N*****n active inductor per band.
The sound of the PEV is very sweet (ooooh that low band!), the PEV B is a bit cleaner but both units sound and color are absolutely unique.

Nowadays they are mostly used during mastering but don't forget to try them on vocals, guitars, drums and much much more. They do a very good job 9/10 times.

I decided to do a 'stepped' version only, just like the original units. This way the original character of the EQ's is maintained best.
I also used two EQ's (left and right channel) to keep the sound differences between the units, or 'analog imperfections', in tact.

Specifications:

PEV
Image Image
60Hz: -15, -9, -6, -3, 0, 3, 6, 9 dB
Presence:
Freq: 0.7, 1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6 KHz
Gain: 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 dB
10KHz: -15, -9, -6, -3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12 dB

PEV B
60Hz: -15, -9, -6, -4, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, 9, 15 dB
Presence:
Freq: 0.7, 1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6 KHz
Gain: -8, -6, -4, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 dB
10KHz: -15, -9, -6, -4, -2, 0, 2, 4, 6, 9, 15 dB

Used Equipment:
Digital I/O: Lynx AES16
D/A Converter: Tentlabs DAC (not for sale yet)
A/D Converter: Benchmark ADC-1
External Clock: Grimm Audio CC-1

Download links:
https://rapidshare.com/files/1916216748/PEVpresets.rar

Enjoy the classic sound of N*****n!
Last edited by rhodes54 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: FREE rare N*****n PEV & PEV B EQ's

Postby tumburu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks for the effort and for sharing them :mrgreen:
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Indeed! Can't wait to check it out.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Metalblast » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Thank you !!!
Metalblast
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby tumburu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:22 pm

I think you did a very good job, thanks again for giving them for free. No gain problems here.

They definitely sound smoother and more classy than the Passive Eq from Softube (a PEV emulation).
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby rhodes54 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:42 pm

tumburu wrote:I think you did a very good job, thanks again for giving them for free. No gain problems here.

They definitely sound smoother and more classy than the Passive Eq from Softube (a PEV emulation).

Good to hear that the Gain settings have been saved in the preset. Thanks for informing me.
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby tumburu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Now there's something odd.

All the programs report only 1 kernel.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby rhodes54 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:04 pm

tumburu wrote:Now there's something odd.
All the programs report only 1 kernel.

I'm sure that I sampled them with 3 and 5 kernels. I used the N.A.T. templates as basis and only changed the Freq/Gain parameters. The wave files of the 3 and 5 kernel versions also differ in size, as well as the vector presets, which (I assume) means that they are sampled correctly.
Maybe the other kernels need to be switched on somewhere in N.A.T. or Nebula?
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby everbeatz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanx a lot!!

You rock man! ;)
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby futur2 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:50 pm