Login

Best general channel HP and LP FIlters in Nebula?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Best general channel HP and LP FIlters in Nebula?

Postby elam » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:20 am

lipa wrote:got and love Classic Logic Console and Dynamics, so why not have full path.. (we would like the Gate/Expander too!).

You'll not regret it.You're right for the gate but I think we'll need this infamous improvement on the dynamic side from Giancarlo.

That said you were right to ask too.It's all about doing your research and reading AND asking here,that's why it's called a community. ;)

As for resonance (for the CLQ) you're good.There's none.I was in your case a couple of months ago and wanted the same,after reading this post and PM a couple of Nebulites I bought it.That's a solid EQ.Be sure that you have a powerful enuff computer if you want to use "2 nebula instances" just for filtering PER track.

I'm out.I just let people who have both give you their thoughts.It might be more useful.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Martinez » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:45 am

You know, I do a lot of High and low pass filtering when I mix and I've often thought that it would be great if they could make an Aqua (or whatever it's called) plug in like BX clean sweep.

You could make it so that you only turn on the filter that you need.
It's just such a pain in the ass having to pull up a instance of nebula for LPF and then another instance for HPF if you it for several tracks.
Having something like clean sweep but a nebula version would be very cool.

It would have to be like Alex's nice eq thing where the smoothest, nicest sounding filters were used and it would continually variable.

Hello any 3rd part developers?
Martinez

Postby Cupwise » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:42 am

that would be quite a task if you want lots of resolution in the filters. think about it, however many positions sampled for the high pass, multiply that by how many you'd want for the low pass. that's how many samples you'd need. each would take around a minute to sample/record, but between each recording you'd have to adjust those knobs AND be precise about it. in fact the precision part would be pretty insane.

so lets say you have 50 cutoff points for high pass, and 50 for low pass (which probably wouldn't allow for smooth variable control too far into lower frequencies for the low pass, you'd actually probably need like a few hundred, just guessing). you'd have to sample every position of low cutoff, for each position of high. so thats 2,500 samples.

if you just sampled a cutoff and high pass separately, it's only 100. so that's 25x less work, insanity, disk space/ram/load times for the final product, etc.

it would be nice if there were a way to do it though, that wasn't insane, or so inefficient.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks all for chiming in! ;)

I was posting several requests about GUI like N-Ten-At-4 or Nice eq (it`s CD SOundmasters` not Alexes` by the way..) but with swiches for more bands.. or filters..

I think it could be done NOT by making one gigaprogram but rather by joining many programs/nebula instances under one GUI-vst instance (having many nebulas controlled under the hood of one GUI)..

probably not easy to do.. but programs are there.. we just need GUI/Aqua/some programming work to be done..

Any 3rd party dev happy to do so? Duende like GUI with switch for every band that when clicked ON would load apropriate program/nebula instance behind. Easy? It could also load 1 kernel programs for playback and for rendering switch for full kernel programs.. Easy? and of course include oversampling.. hehe .. I know too many wishes.. :D
lipa

Postby Cupwise » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:04 pm

that would be a possible solution, but it couldn't be done by 3rd party. acustica (giancarlo) would have to drastically change nebula to make that possible.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:15 pm

So let`s all pray that mighty mr G will improove Nebula for that..

It really is an issue not only pain in the ass.. having to load and most of all switch between six windows to do 4 band eq + 2 filters is an issue stoping me from using nebula superior eqs most of the time.. I`m much faster using psp neon + 1 or 2 nebula bands.. but I would love to use all nebula stuff more often..
Speed and workflow is very important.. :P
lipa

Postby Famousbyfive » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:17 am

+1 for cl eq from alex. Ive barely touched another eq since I bought this and its really useful to have a clean version if signals are becoming too coloured. The filters are the absolute bollocks. BUY BUY BUY
Famousbyfive
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:20 am

I just re-read this entire thread, and I know that the question is about Neb specific HP/LP filters, but..... While I love LOVE the ClEQ from Alex B, and hardly ever use an "algo" plug anymore, the finest, most "musical" and light-weight HP/LP filter I have used is the channel plugin from the Satson Console suite. I never use the console element, we all know that nothing can come close to the console emulation of Nebula. I also never use the other plug, the buss plug. But the channel plugin, with the console part deactivated, has very sweet sounding and easy to use HP/LP filters. Just wanted to pass that on. But for Neb, I also love some of the filters that Rhythminmind have released (can't remember the names right now, not at my DAW).
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:15 pm

The filters are the absolute bollocks.
errr.. guess this means that they sound good :lol:

Guys, please let`s collectively think more about that Nebula GUI plugin to be developed.. maybe let`s start another thread for that.. I really think I could be relatively easy to do. We don`t need anything more than LiquidMix/Duende style GUI/wrap-around capable of running six or more instances of nebula under the hood with acces to parameters just like in zbukowskis` nebulaman or nebula setups (don`t know which one was that).. and that`s it. There are some free vst stacking plugins that already have framework for doing this (running some vsts inside one stack instance).
If someone did this and it looked good it could really bring nebula using to another level of speed and joy.
It could use filters (like duende), preamp section, maybe even tape + tape saturation sections, apropriate metering..nice gui, fast midi learn, oversampling function, reander/play mode (more and less kernels) and use all the libraries that already are done. Isn`t that sensible? That`s something I wished for for more than 2 years now.. ;)
lipa

Postby jesse.nemitz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:28 am

I've found that the HPF and LPF on the Modern White Console by AlexB is about the highest quality / most flexible (sweepable on every frequency) filter in the Nebula arsenal. It's also native at 96k!!!

Another one I keep coming back to is S2N Vintage Filter (VLF,VHF) from a Langevin channel. That is an absolutely stunning 60s filtered sound.

It's also important to realize that frequency filtering is one of the best things that nebula does and you should definitely try and use nebula for this instead of digital algorithmic plugins as any "coloration" buildup is way better than nasty sound almost every digital plugin filter leaves you with (UAD moog filter is an exception though)
jesse.nemitz
User Level VII
User Level VII

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries