Login

Cupwise Updates- YoureiB

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby djomardiaz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Many thanks for this updatee!!, i love this comp, waiting for the email,you are the boss .
Paz hermanos.....
User avatar
djomardiaz
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Valencia (Spain)

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby Andrums » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Just few days I bought 609A
Good comp
Waiting for update
Andrums
Member
Member
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 pm

This update has created a pretty major issue:

When I try to load the session I was working on right before following the installation instructions all 33609 instances come up as INIT. Did I just break compatibility with all of my past projects? That's something I cannot afford to reset, we're talking about dozens of projects (some of which might or might have recall sheets since the DAW is supposed to remember that for me!). Is there some way this update can be executed without breaking backwards compatibility?
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Two more things while I'm thinking about them:
-the 5k normal BusComp instance is not working in my updated install; on my other machine (which I also updated) it is, but on this one it loads INIT. Any idea what went wrong there? All the other instances I've tried have worked.

-This is not related to the update but a question: the HPF on the normal BusComp programs have a really weird range; finding a frequency between 20 and 100Hz (which is the usual range I'd be adjusting my sidechain HPF to) is incredibly fidgety because the range is so huge beyond that. Just wondering why this was the case (maybe others are HPF'ing their sidechains much higher than I am, I'm not really sure).
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm

oh wow, sorry i forgot to mention that. i couldn't get this update to remain backwards compatible with the previous versions and still have the improvements that are in the updates. the only way it would be possible to have the update installed with backwards compatibility would be for you to create another nebula xml/dll setup for the new version, and keep the old version in the setup you used for the projects you had.

hopefully everyone still has the original archives they downloaded off of me when they bought. if you have lots of projects using the old set that you will need to go back to, you'll have to keep the old set installed. if you still want the updated set for new projects then you'll have to do as i mentioned and have another nebula setup with the updated set installed in another folder.

it's really unfortunate that this is how it is, but there's really no way possible to keep the backwards compatibility and still get these improvements. sorry.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:14 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Two more things while I'm thinking about them:
-the 5k normal BusComp instance is not working in my updated install; on my other machine (which I also updated) it is, but on this one it loads INIT. Any idea what went wrong there? All the other instances I've tried have worked.

so both are the updated set but only one of them works? sounds like one was installed differently from the other. maybe you didn't delete the original n2v/n2p files on one of them?

ngarjuna wrote:-This is not related to the update but a question: the HPF on the normal BusComp programs have a really weird range; finding a frequency between 20 and 100Hz (which is the usual range I'd be adjusting my sidechain HPF to) is incredibly fidgety because the range is so huge beyond that. Just wondering why this was the case (maybe others are HPF'ing their sidechains much higher than I am, I'm not really sure).

it's never been too much of an issue for me because i use skins with the knobs where you can fine tune them. if you're using a skin with the sliders, isn't there a way to make fine adjustments? i think you hold like shift or cntrl while dragging the slider up and down?

yeah it has a high range for a hpf but i just like having more options in there.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 pm

and i want to say that yes, it is a pretty bad mistake to fail to mention the no backwards compatibility, but i am a one man operation and i do err (quite a bit actually). :oops:
Cupwise
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Cupwise wrote:oh wow, sorry i forgot to mention that. i couldn't get this update to remain backwards compatible with the previous versions and still have the improvements that are in the updates. the only way it would be possible to have the update installed with backwards compatibility would be for you to create another nebula xml/dll setup for the new version, and keep the old version in the setup you used for the projects you had.

hopefully everyone still has the original archives they downloaded off of me when they bought. if you have lots of projects using the old set that you will need to go back to, you'll have to keep the old set installed. if you still want the updated set for new projects then you'll have to do as i mentioned and have another nebula setup with the updated set installed in another folder.

it's really unfortunate that this is how it is, but there's really no way possible to keep the backwards compatibility and still get these improvements. sorry.

Ah okay, thanks for the update Tim. I guess it's decision time for me; if it were just me I'd make a setup and move on with the best of both worlds. But I'm in an environment with lots of (less experienced with Nebula not to mention engineering in general) hands in the pie and they already have to work around double wrapping (Metaplugin into FXpansion), reloading every instance manually (since Metaplugin won't resample anything on load correctly unless you work at 44.1) AND learning to work within the constraints of Nebula that we've all come to know and love...I don't think I can realistically add yet another left turn to their daily route. Of course the third party developers are powerless against that maze of a workflow (still it's hard to smile when you read about all these non-Nebula-related Acustica projects in the works when Nebula is still has so many rough edges). But maybe I'll go through myself and replace every instance myself; it's a lot of them but I really hate to knowingly use a less 'proper' instance of the compressor I use most just to save myself from a pita (albeit a big pita).

I mention all this out loud for the benefit of future developments and all developers, just to remember that in a production environment backwards compatibility is so, so critical. I say that not to take Tim to task he's a great developer and a great guy, several of his libraries are go-tos for me (and I suspect this is something he'll be thinking about in future releases) but just to put it out there. That said I also appreciate when Nebula developers are willing to take time out of their schedules to revisit a product which may not represent the same kind of cash flow as a new release. So I'm being genuine when I say "Thanks, Tim, for what will surely be a great update to an already amazing compressor product" despite the problem it might cause.
User avatar
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:48 pm

yeah. sorry again. to be honest i don't know if it would be worth you going back and redoing all of those instances. if they already sounded good then they should be good with the old version of the set. i think the old version still sounded really good and to be honest the update just improves it by a few small % pts soundwise.

but at any rate it was either break the compatibility, or not do the update. my biggest mistake i think was forgetting to mention that on releasing the update. it is the first update i've ever done that i think actually broke the compatibility so its funny that i'd forget to mention it. oh well. if anyone ends up having serious issues due to this, contact me, as usual.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cupwise Updates- Smooth 609A Buscomp and YoureiB

Postby mightymosaic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:36 am

Awesome job Cup! The Meters are DEAD ON. and the sound seems more natural. A+
mightymosaic
Member
Member
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KSP, robschroeder and 5 guests