Login

Best "Nebula" compressor for vocals

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Best "Nebula" compressor for vocals

Postby RJHollins » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:44 pm

One description I've read compares 'reversed' track
compression to 'normal' is:

Normal way is punchier, while 'reversed' is like [and I quote] '... peanut butter' 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby geedy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:59 pm

RJHollins wrote:One description I've read compares 'reversed' track
compression to 'normal' is:

Normal way is punchier, while 'reversed' is like [and I quote] '... peanut butter' 8-)

Hahahahaha!!! peanut butter!!! I feel like a such a nerd cause thats hilarious to me..
geedy
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby geedy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:04 pm

ngarjuna wrote:No, that's something else, that refers to the detector circuit design. Here's a simple example:

Link

Backwards compression is almost like a lookahead only instead of using a delay to tweak the detector to open a little early the detector actually responds to the decay of the transient for a similar effect.

You have some VERY informative posts... this diagram definitely makes sense but your definitely gonna have to break it down for me.. I know feedforward is modern and feedback is a sort of "vintage" style of compression.. thats all i know..
geedy
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:21 pm

geedy wrote:You have some VERY informative posts... this diagram definitely makes sense but your definitely gonna have to break it down for me.. I know feedforward is modern and feedback is a sort of "vintage" style of compression.. thats all i know..

Check out this thread on Gearslutz which is where that snazzy circuit example comes from. Analog gear design isn't my specialty at all so I'd just be repeating what guys like them have said.

Interesting point at the bottom of that thread: "Feedback compressors have attack and release times that are a function of the ratio setting (there's a nice paper written by the one of the folks at THAT about this), whereas feedforward ones have independent controls. This is why very often you don't see any labeling other than 'fast' and 'slow' on the attack/release knobs of feedback compressors."
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby yr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Below is an image of a stereo track that was processed with a Nebula compressor in 2 ways: the first track (above) with "normal" compression, and below it a track that was first reversed, then compressed (using the same settings) and reversed again:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.16 KiB) Viewed 1390 times

You can see in the track below, that the compressor "catches" the loud peak after the pause much better. The reason is that it's actually reacting to the decay first (since the track was reversed) and therefore can "anticipate" the peak.

You can also try this compression trick for nice creative effects, but it's really useful for smooth vocal compression with Nebula.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby geedy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:12 pm

yr wrote:Below is an image of a stereo track that was processed with a Nebula compressor in 2 ways: the first track (above) with "normal" compression, and below it a track that was first reversed, then compressed (using the same settings) and reversed again:

Capture.PNG

You can see in the track below, that the compressor "catches" the loud peak after the pause much better. The reason is that it's actually reacting to the decay first (since the track was reversed) and therefore can "anticipate" the peak.

You can also try this compression trick for nice creative effects, but it's really useful for smooth vocal compression with Nebula.

DAYYYUUUMMM!!!! THAT IS THE SINGLE MOST BEST TRICK IVE EVER LEARNED IN MY 8 YEARS OF ENGINEERING!!!!
geedy
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby cpwade » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:31 am

That is an amazing trick. Thanks for sharing!!!!!
OS X 10.12 | Pro Tools | Logic | Nebula | Gibson | Marshall | Vintage outboard gear that's noisy & hot |
http://paulwade.net
http://paulwade3.wix.com/paulwade
http://www.facebook.com/bratkatrecords
http://www.facebook.com/SummerwindDirective/
cpwade
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby dpclarkson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:49 am

Best damn trick I've heard of in 12 years!
Just did this kind of compression on a very dynamic female
vocalist; it was just the ticket!
Very nice technique for singers with little recording-experience.

Thanks!
dpclarkson

Postby audioanal » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:11 am

please, could someone explain how to reverse a track?
I'd like to learn how to do it.
Nuendo here.
audioanal
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Definity » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:30 am

audioanal wrote:please, could someone explain how to reverse a track?
I'd like to learn how to do it.
Nuendo here.

rightclick >> Processs >> Reverse

Yeah this technique was used alot by tape engineers to get rid of the transients that tape produced
Definity

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries