Login

Best "Nebula" compressor for vocals

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Best "Nebula" compressor for vocals

Postby mickdundee63 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:23 am

geedy wrote:I know that the 1176 is a highly sought after FET compressor but the only Fet type compression i have seen is from rhythminmind.. Are you speaking of the 1176 Rev A that he is still sampling or are you saying you just have the actual hardware?
mickdundee63 wrote:I don't yet have stripe76 but do have a harware 1176 rev A clone and it's a killer vocal compressor both character wise and for its compression action. Has anyone done an La2a yet???

I don't have the original hardware, I have a hardware rev A clone, but yeah I was referring to rythminmind's stripe76 I thought he had released it already??
mickdundee63
User Level I
User Level I

Postby yr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:45 am

Whichever Nebula compressor you choose in the end, try "reverse compression" on vocals. It's a nice technique anyways, but I think it's really useful with Nebula comps, especially on dynamic vocals.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:11 am

Could you please explain "reverse compression" and how to do this with Nebula?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:37 am

richie43 wrote:Could you please explain "reverse compression" and how to do this with Nebula?

If I'm not mistaken it's an old technique used by Mastering Engineers, mostly, to compress mixes (broadband compression, mostly) and achieve minimum distortion. Just tweak your compressor, once you've gotten there where you want it just push it a bit more, now reverse your media file (yeah, reverse: playing backwards) and process it (render, bounce, freeze, etc). I've heard good results with it but I've never done it myself, looks a bit weird to me lol
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Definity » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:59 am

it was to also get rid on the transients that tape tends to add
Definity

Postby richie43 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:34 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:If I'm not mistaken it's an old technique used by Mastering Engineers, mostly, to compress mixes (broadband compression, mostly) and achieve minimum distortion. Just tweak your compressor, once you've gotten there where you want it just push it a bit more, now reverse your media file (yeah, reverse: playing backwards) and process it (render, bounce, freeze, etc). I've heard good results with it but I've never done it myself, looks a bit weird to me lol

I am going to try that right now, just for a learning thing. It sounds crazy, I am trying to rationalize (or intellectualize) just WHY this would work..... Leave it to an audio engineer to figure out a better way to do something by reversing things!! Thanks again Mercado.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby rhythminmind » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:38 am

In the days before digital brickwall limiters it was a better way to control transients.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com
rhythminmind

Postby yr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:07 am

The reason it works well, especially with Nebula, is that the compressor "predicts" transients. Since Nebula has a hard time dealing with sudden big dynamic changes, you get a much more even compression this way.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby geedy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:52 pm

WOW!!! im floored on this one.. i thought he just meant "Feed-forward" or "Feed-back" compression... unless thats essentially the same thing on other compressor's...
geedy
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:21 pm

No, that's something else, that refers to the detector circuit design. Here's a simple example:

Link

Backwards compression is almost like a lookahead only instead of using a delay to tweak the detector to open a little early the detector actually responds to the decay of the transient for a similar effect.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries