Login

AlexB: U73 German Mastering Comp (new ver. of older GMD)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

AlexB: U73 German Mastering Comp (new ver. of older GMD)

Postby AlexB » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Hello,
the U73 library released !!!

The Finished Sound
This was the main VCA compressor/limiter for disc cutting in the vinyl era and from the late 1970´s to 1990 it was used on 90% of all record in that time.

The unit has been completely refurbished and returned to the original as new conditions. This technical intervention restores the unit to the original sound and it can then rightfully be called “vintage”. It's the same sound you can listen on thousands old hit records.
The most critical, and most difficult task is to refurbish the unit without making changes to the original character and sound. This is achieved by the thoughtful choice of the right electronic components, and expert skills and experience in electronic engineering.

. High Quality programs with full dynamics and harmonic content
. Special light edition "le" programs (CPU friendly)
. Full Ratio control from 1.1:1 to 10:1
. AHEAD extended
. Internal sidechain High Pass filter
. External sidechain control
. Drive control allows to set the sound from clean to fat
. Auto Release preset
. Special AlexB skin
. No C.P. !

U73 replaces the old German Mastering Dynamics library and it can be upgraded by sending and email request. Upgrade costs 8,00EUR.

Please, check the website and download the user manual and try the Demo, it has the same audio quality and performance of the commercial release but with some restrictions.

http://www.alessandroboschi.eu

Thank you, all the best ! 8-)
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Re: AlexB: U73 German Mastering Comp (new ver. of older GMD)

Postby babiuk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:34 am

Based on the pic the model seems to be u473a. This model was the one that replaced U73 as standad for cutting, isn't it?

I am interested on it, but I would like to know some questions

- the release doesn't have Auto position? The manual don't say about it.

- the original has 1,2,3,4,5,Lim positions for ratio, this one is 1-10, according to manual where 10 is Lim. But this 1-10 scale is the original 1-5 plus 6-9(as extrpolated ratios)? Or 1-9 is an expanded range being 9 related to the original 5? In other words: 1,2,3,4,5 are the original1,2,3,4,5 from the hardware and 6,7,8,9 are new interpolated settings?

- the hardware Bc and Ds are nor samled?

- if using it for mastering I understand this comp must be set on Lim position, is true? I mean given the fact it was used in the past as last finished direct to cutting. Or maybe it has sense to master as last step with this comp on 1-5 ratio setting? Of course anyone can use it the way he wants but I am interested about knowing the real way it was used all the years along when they used as finished for so many records, it was Limit or comp ratios as standard?

Thanks in advance
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss
babiuk

Postby babiuk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Anyone knows something about this matter?
At least anyone who got it and could explain about it?
Mac Pro 5,1 / 6-core Intel Xeon / 16 GB Ram / El Capitan / Reaper / H******* Mixbuss
babiuk

Postby RE301 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:43 pm

My guess is it probably would have almost always been left 'set & forget' in a limiting mode to protect the cutter head from any sudden unexpected peaks that could cause very expensive damage, but for the rest not doing anything at all during a straight 1:1 transfer of the material..

With some exceptions, vinyl mastering / cutting engineers generally worked very conservatively eg: a straight 1:1 transfer with nothing done to the audio - probably the same is mostly true today as well.

Of course everything in the chain/ signal path, even if not doing anything, emparts a sonic character due to components, circuitry, build, design etc.

So my point is, while the eq's & compressor/limiters in these N*****n cutting rigs were built to an incredibly high quality level, they would have only been used occasionally for subtle eq corrections if needed and protection, not the kind of drastic audio doctoring and 'loudness wars' level smashing we see in modern times during premastering.. My 2c on it..
RE301

Postby babiuk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks a lot, RE301!

I agree about the limit choice of set&forget, maybe it was the common use for tansfers. And I agree too about 1:1 process which adds all the chain flavour.

Maybe I would use it that way, but I would like to know about the questions I posted. I hope someone who owns the library will help on this. Of course an Alex response would be perfect but I never use to see him posting apart from announcements.
babiuk

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:26 pm

There is an AUTO-Release PRESET ... is that what you're asking?

From the manual:
The U73 library includes 6 different programs:
HQ presets with 5 kernels and LE presets with 1 kernel displayed into sub-menu “U73”
U73 Comp : Compressor with variable controls and HPF on internal sidechain
U73.Comp esc : Compressor with variable controls and external sidechain
U73 Comp AR : Compressor with variable controls, auto release and HPF on internal sidechain
U73 Comp AR esc : Compressor with variable controls, auto relese and external sidechain
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby babiuk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 pm

RJHollins wrote:There is an AUTO-Release PRESET ... is that what you're asking?

From the manual:
The U73 library includes 6 different programs:
HQ presets with 5 kernels and LE presets with 1 kernel displayed into sub-menu “U73”
U73 Comp : Compressor with variable controls and HPF on internal sidechain
U73.Comp esc : Compressor with variable controls and external sidechain
U73 Comp AR : Compressor with variable controls, auto release and HPF on internal sidechain
U73 Comp AR esc : Compressor with variable controls, auto relese and external sidechain

Thanks, RJHollins!

It is true, I didn´t read it clearly. That way my left question is about the 1-5 ratio positions on the real gear versus the 1-9 Alex ratio, given that 10 may be Limit one.

Apart from this any comment about original use of the hardware on the cutting tasks would be nice ;)
babiuk

Postby plexus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:36 pm

I have U73. I do not have the ability to a thorough analysis of its compression response. I generally work "by ear" and don't have the patience to set up a scenario to plot an analysis. However, I just ran some test tones through it and monitored the gain reduction within N4's meters while working with the input level and ratio.

The ratio fader appears to offer a smoothly interpolated amount of GR through it's full range. I can't verify if the specific value on the ratio fader accurately correlates to a real-world reduction of the same amount. In fact, the GR response of U73 seems a little odd to me, from a measurement perspective. For example the GR decreases from 1.1 to 1.73 on the fader and then from 1.73 the GR increases as you'd expect.

From 1.73 to 10.0 the GR appears to be continuously variable. If the GR fader setting is accurate (eg. 2.0 is actually 2:1) then it appears the fader is continuously variable from 1.73 to 10.0. And therefore, 5 < GR < 10 would be "new" values over the original hardware.

That probably doesn't help.
plexus
User Level X
User Level X

Postby babiuk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks a lot, plexus!

Very interesting info, your explanation let it much more clear. By the way, how can you measure the GR evolution along the ratio variation? Which tool?

Anyway It would be nice Alex put some comment here about it.
babiuk

Postby plexus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:09 am

On the PROG page, there is a "Reduction" meter in dB. With that you can see the amount of GR going on.
plexus
User Level X
User Level X

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries