Login

FATE EQ+Comp at 96 KHz?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: FATE EQ+Comp at 96 KHz?

Postby russianpolecat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 am

richie43 wrote:Favorite comp? have you tried any of the newer Cupwise or Gemini Audio compressors? Fate Comp is indeed great, but there has been practically a revolution with nebula compressors lately. :D
Of course, they're more 'developed' or closer to real world compression than the N**e comp. But I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the colour. The other comps are based on different models and so on. I just love the sound of that particular compressor. I'll use it more in a sort of Mojo way if you like. Same as I do with some of Henry's stuff.
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby russianpolecat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:19 am

cehas wrote:From what I understood from those extensive plugin analysis/sample rate threads on Gearslutz is that the main advantage of using higher samplerates is the reduced aliasing. That's basically it, effects wise.

I usually work @ 44.1k with 96k effects (to save CPU power) and when rendering, I reload the project to 96 and switch on the timed kernels on the master.

I have to admit that the differences are barely noticeable, but sometimes 96k manages to sound more "real", especially on the long run.
I was thinking of doing something like that if I need to. Working at 44 and going to 96 to render (I've just purchased a ton of new libraries so I'm still in the stage of defining my workflow and how much I can actually do in a 'live'/real time sense).
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby fpoitevin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:56 pm

richie43 wrote:I know that everyone has their own opinions, but until you do a truly subjective and REALLY blind test, I can bet that your feelings toward higher sample rates is more "snake-oil" than fact. Give it a try.... I dare you.
+10000 !
Furthermore, I found with blind tests that I very often prefer 44.1k for blues, pop, rock and all other "electric" styles. For classic music, I prefer 96k for the precision of the reverb tails.
I no longer waist my time trying to work with the biggest number !

Just to go a little further (it's not the topic, I know), the sample frequency problem is NOT an audio bandwidth question but a DAC filter behavior.

keep on making music, not looking at numbers !
All the best

François
fpoitevin
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 pm

fpoitevin wrote:+10000 !
Furthermore, I found with blind tests that I very often prefer 44.1k for blues, pop, rock and all other "electric" styles. For classic music, I prefer 96k for the precision of the reverb tails.

Just to go a little further (it's not the topic, I know), the sample frequency problem is NOT an audio bandwidth question but a DAC filter behavior.

All the best

François

Beautifully said.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cehas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:01 am

russianpolecat wrote:I was thinking of doing something like that if I need to. Working at 44 and going to 96 to render (I've just purchased a ton of new libraries so I'm still in the stage of defining my workflow and how much I can actually do in a 'live'/real time sense).

Doesn't work with all the DAWs 'tho, with Ableton it's really easy, just reload the project @ 96k. I'm also using a some synths that benefit from the 96k SR.

If it's a possiblity, I'd say go for it, even just for archiving. I love having the uncompressed, untouched mixdowns as high quality files and then back them up on a USB stick/HDD.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Melon_Jack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:38 am

All the best

François[/quote]

Golden words)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries