Login

New eq release's surge-eq and tube mid range

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: New eq release's surge-eq and tube mid range

Postby dagovitsj » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks musicforlife! I've just imported the two clips into Reaper and switching between them. Very nice example. To my ears this is a good example of how a little goes a long way, Surge really cleans up, but the difference isn't night and day when you just listen to them in VLC, but the quality really shines when you compare them side by side in a DAW. I think I'm hearing a little more of the punch of the EQ like in the Green EQ, it seems like a high quality EQ has a kind of tightening effect on the audio material as well, which I believe will really make a difference when using this EQ on several tracks. Probably basic stuff for the pro' around here?!

Do you mind posting the settings you used?

I also like the tone of your guitar. Are you just plugging your guitar straight into your audio card, put on Sgear and get that tone? Or do you have a really good preamp before your soundcard? Curious!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby musicforlife » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:18 pm

hey dagovitsj!

i have to agree! this eq is high quality! it makes complete sense why the hardware costs soo much... is such a amazing audio tool..it gives that tighter sound as you describe....

and yes a little goes a long way ... in this case a deep -13db around 433hz with the Q adjusted by ear and taste

and no i don't have an amazing audio interface i have my mexican stratocaster with sotck pups into a cheap cable followed by my mbox3 (the midle version) into my daw ...

sometimes i use a nebula preamp color suite program from Alex b or any other preamp program or the amazing j37...

followed by my amp sim of choice sgear from scuffham...

my chain was strato > mbox3 > sgear stock preset > nebula surge eq and voila...

i was surprised by how good it sound after you give that eq cut...on sgear cabs... is hard to believe that i like the end result ... because normally i use nebula cabs for guitar tracks..but in this case is full sgear 1x12 cab stock preset
Attachments
surge.jpg
musicforlife
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:45 am

Nice clips Musicforlife ;)

I use SGear quiet a lot myself ...
Thierr7

Postby dagovitsj » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:08 am

Thanks musicforlife! That was interesting. You wrote:

and yes a little goes a long way ... in this case a deep -13db around 433hz with the Q adjusted by ear and taste

-13 dB - that's not exactly "a little goes a long way" :lol:

But it sounds very smooth, and not "heavily equalized"- meaning sucked the life out of the audio. I have to check out this EQ. It's downloaded, but not installed yet (sic!)

If I get it right, the Q in your example/screen shot is also 0.4 - quite broad in other words, and not a sharp Q. I would assumed that with -13 dB at 433 Hz and Q: 0.4 much more of the warmth of the mid range would have gone, but it doesn't sound like that.

Very interesting thing about your guitar-setup too. I tried Sgear from Scuffham a year ago or so, but could'nt get the tone I wanted from it - obviously I did something wrong if you can get this tone out of your setup. That's good news!

Thanks again, I really appreciate that you and others upload sound clips which demonstrate the sound of EQs etc.
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby musicforlife » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:17 am

Thierr7 wrote:Nice clips Musicforlife ;)

I use SGear quiet a lot myself ...

thanks bro !!! yep sgear is great ....

i do love to use Henry Olonga with amps...

if you use this eq you can get crazy and i mean crazy good results...
musicforlife
User Level II
User Level II

Postby musicforlife » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:22 am

oh man im glad i was able to help... one thing people often forget is to try to help without receiving anithng back...

just for fun and for the joy of other good folks around the globe...

im happy to be able to have these tools and some dedicate folks like Tim...and many others...

these developers are great people...im glad to know them

and for me is a plesure to share just for the fun of it!!!

and about this eq..man this is a beast seriously ..monster eq ... it can bring the life of anything... it works wonders on problematic frequencies and with guitars..man im in heaven...

such good times to be itb
musicforlife
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Brian » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:27 am

musicforlife wrote:oh man im glad i was able to help... one thing people often forget is to try to help without receiving anithng back...

just for fun and for the joy of other good folks around the globe...

im happy to be able to have these tools and some dedicate folks like Tim...and many others...

these developers are great people...im glad to know them

and for me is a plesure to share just for the fun of it!!!

and about this eq..man this is a beast seriously ..monster eq ... it can bring the life of anything... it works wonders on problematic frequencies and with guitars..man im in heaven...

such good times to be itb

I didn't have anything else to add to this thread but felt compelled to comment here - it's really fantastic to see this kind of positive attitude in general, but especially on forums these days. There's so often negativity, complaining, and off-topic rants and tangents that it's really off-putting. This made me happy to see.

Cheers musicforlife!
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby myimo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:41 pm

If anyone is wondering what SURGE can do for your tracks theres a short youtube (4 min 39)
"GML 8200 Walkthrough by George Massenburg Presented by RyanSloan.net"
The vid sound quality sucks but even so, you can hear the difference once George has isolated and cut the problem frequencies.

Tims version is impressive. It's really easy to use and does seamless cuts/boosts perfectly. I already have many great Nebula "character" eqs and now with the addition of Surge for detailed work, I can finally go 100% Nebula for all eq tasks.
myimo
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby musicforlife » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:46 pm

Brian,

cool man ..and i agree with you! the internet is a place for many people that are tough with the keyboard... always with some agrassive response ...and little help...

in general some folks are much more happy when they criticize something..and they never tried to do what that other person did...

let's say a video for example..it takes a lot of work to produce a 5 minutes video demonstrating a product or sharing a tip and many folks can shime in with some bad atittude ...

is normal these day... its a shame... but we still have good people around i consider myself a good one..lol...

and to help is my favourite thing... life is short ...be gentle... you can learn this "line" soon or latter... i much preffer the fast way
musicforlife
User Level II
User Level II

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries