Login

37J classic valve tape machine released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: 37J classic valve tape machine released!

Postby waffleneck » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:29 pm

I read what you said about staging, but instinctively this is what i think wants to happen:

pre-emphasis
channel
de-emphasis
flat

the pre-emphasis is there to help the sound hit the tape nicely, then the de-emphasis accommodates for the shift...

after all that you hit the compression/saturation stage

if your machine can handle all that at 96kHz you're in business :ugeek:
Amber, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue, D361, Emerald, EQP1, Green, Honey, Ivory, Magenta, Navy, Nebula, Ochre, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Bundle, Purple Bundle, Red, Scarlet, Silk, Tan, Titanium, Trinity, Ultramarine, White
waffleneck
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:04 pm

Pre emphasis contains full tone information of the channel but you must all use de-emphasis to correct the spectrum and get the softening highs and sat.

These below are the combinations that work.

Pre emphasis >de emphasis saturation (for tape compression sound)

Or

Just Channel (for if you wish to have a more traditional nebula)

To both of the above you can add extra flat instances to
Get a little more drive

At the moment I'm away but as soon as I'm at the computer I'll make some graphs to make it clear. Should be later today.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby musicforlife » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:15 pm

prosodio wrote:You got that distortion only with j37? It seems you´ve crunched the sound with another device, have you? This tape is in the subtle distortion side, in fact, Tim said he will release some fuzz presets in a near future... if I´m mistaken please, tell how you did to get that crunchy tone only with j37....

thanks!!!

im not using anything besides j37 ....

the thing is... j37 is sublte but when you trow it before sgear and cranck both the input and output you can drive the amp fornt end... sgear deals very well with this type of approach... i don't know if you already tested sgear or have it, but is a nice amp sim, and you can do wonders with that if you experiment a bit...

without clipping offcourse

by the way did you think it sounds cool?

my signal chain was:
nebula j37 pre>nebula j37 saturation> sgear cab bypass> sirir loader with a 3sigma ir> followed by fabfilter to eq to my taste
Attachments
chain.jpg
musicforlife
User Level II
User Level II

Postby prosodio » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Sounds nice! Thanks for your explanation
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Postby prosodio » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Tim, I thought that the most close to hardware way was: channel, pre, de, flat all four stacked....
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Postby aatigre » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Pre + De, just these 2 instances behave like a beatiful compresor.
I like a lot how it tames the low-mids.
The only "problem" is that the IN from the De preset is very responsive, so its very hard to process all the channels in NebulaMan without thinking that many tone shaping options in the mix process will be disabled after a batch processing. Tim, take this comment as a compliment. Is just that my 3820 i7 cannot cope with more than 8 channels at 96khz when i want to put a N14 line in preset after J37.
This is a little offtopic: will i miss a lot if instead of working at 96khz, i work at 44.1khz?
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Postby musicforlife » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:15 pm

prosodio wrote:Sounds nice! Thanks for your explanation

thanks bro! your welcome

by the way i think anything Tim release can sound great his approach is different and the results are here and we can see.

i hope to see some sort of tube amp program other than the super color series , something like a tube to drive the front end off programs like this j37 tape machine...

already a great release but i want more since everything is just great!
musicforlife
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:00 am

Tim Petherick wrote:Pre emphasis contains full tone information of the channel but you must all use de-emphasis to correct the spectrum and get the softening highs and sat.

These below are the combinations that work.

Pre emphasis >de emphasis saturation (for tape compression sound)

Or

Just Channel (for if you wish to have a more traditional nebula)

To both of the above you can add extra flat instances to
Get a little more drive

At the moment I'm away but as soon as I'm at the computer I'll make some graphs to make it clear. Should be later today.

to continue this,
looking at the graph below we have just the pre channel plotImage
then we add a de-emphasis, the deemphasis will distort and compress the high frequences (if any)first and has a plot to rectify the brightness, we get this below-

This was inspired by tapes CCIR equlisation pre/de-emphasis curves.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby sfabs » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 am

musicforlife wrote:
prosodio wrote:You got that distortion only with j37? It seems you´ve crunched the sound with another device, have you? This tape is in the subtle distortion side, in fact, Tim said he will release some fuzz presets in a near future... if I´m mistaken please, tell how you did to get that crunchy tone only with j37....

thanks!!!

im not using anything besides j37 ....

the thing is... j37 is sublte but when you trow it before sgear and cranck both the input and output you can drive the amp fornt end... sgear deals very well with this type of approach... i don't know if you already tested sgear or have it, but is a nice amp sim, and you can do wonders with that if you experiment a bit...

without clipping offcourse

by the way did you think it sounds cool?

my signal chain was:
nebula j37 pre>nebula j37 saturation> sgear cab bypass> sirir loader with a 3sigma ir> followed by fabfilter to eq to my taste

I think it sounded great!!! and detailed explanation! thank you!
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWANG » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:15 pm

^^those are some sexy curves, tim! can't wait to put this library through its paces. thanks also to musicforlife for the clip! :)
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries