Login

37J classic valve tape machine released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: 37J classic valve tape machine released!

Postby kindafishy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:54 pm

Most other tape libraries include some brand of tape that was used as part of the sampling process. Here, it appears that there is a absence of tape, and 'just' the machine was sampled.

Does this imply that this library 'should' be coupled with another library? Is this the purpose of the saturation/compression presets? Perhaps Tim has a companion library planned that also takes the brand of tape into account?

Maybe none of this makes any difference?
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby tyrrell » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:37 pm

I have been rendering tracks like a mad man! They are stacking very nicely. One thing I really enjoy is that the four channels are one a slider. Since I always record stereo tracks as dual mono it makes it really easy to match each side.

Question for Tim?
would it be possible to put each channel of the dualtech on a slider. I am guessing no since they are two diffrent units?
tyrrell
User Level V
User Level V

Postby grimm » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:37 am

RE301 wrote:And on top of this, these machines are very rare & the 37J library may well have been made using the examples in the best condition in the world at the present time, in that they have been completely refurbished & restored to their original glory (!) ..

Where do you get that from? I can't see any info on the specific machine (or the used tape) sampled. Also wish there was a demo. Ahrmpf, screw it.
grimm
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Tim Petherick » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:05 am

RE301 wrote:
drumsareme wrote:I don't mean to be ignorant or rude, but Is there any reason why I'd get this if I already have R2R and tape booster + ???
Thanks

There's wide variances in 'tape' depending on the electronics/build/design of the tape machine, type of tape, maintenance history, alignment, head condition, track width (bigger is 'better'), running speed (eg: 7.5, 15 or 30 inches per second).. and a whole myriad of other variables..

Not to mention there's differences in how Nebula library developers approach things.

IMO the appearance of the '37J' is very exciting & interesting indeed. The original J37's were a top class machine from Studer with tube electronics and wide head width (in this case 4 track on 1 inch tape - conducive to nice drum sounds! ) which has holy grail status due to being the type of recorder used at Abbey Road on the legendary 60's Beatles recordings like Sgt Pepper's etc..

And on top of this, these machines are very rare & the 37J library may well have been made using the examples in the best condition in the world at the present time, in that they have been completely refurbished & restored to their original glory (!) ..

Machine was restored by raw state's Neil Perry, luckily enough I've seen a few of these Machines over the years.

kindafishy wrote:Most other tape libraries include some brand of tape that was used as part of the sampling process. Here, it appears that there is a absence of tape, and 'just' the machine was sampled.

Does this imply that this library 'should' be coupled with another library? Is this the purpose of the saturation/compression presets? Perhaps Tim has a companion library planned that also takes the brand of tape into account?

Maybe none of this makes any difference?

Tape is basf 911, it was setup for that tape specifically. , we will add more in the future. Now I feel I have a good method to get very close head gap ripple, next session should be quicker.
tyrrell wrote:I have been rendering tracks like a mad man! They are stacking very nicely. One thing I really enjoy is that the four channels are one a slider. Since I always record stereo tracks as dual mono it makes it really easy to match each side.

Question for Tim?
would it be possible to put each channel of the dualtech on a slider. I am guessing no since they are two diffrent units?

Ahh, It will mean high cpu and a lot of work, I'll look into it though
Cheers
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby tyrrell » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:32 am

Dont feel the need to look into it on my account.
tyrrell
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Thierr7 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:03 pm

- Hi Tim ,

- i seem to have issues with the skins ; I made 2 setups for each then loaded both on a send track in Reaper . I thought i had dropouts because of new 5.22 release but when i opened UI of both plugins , they changed skins by themselves and no more drop outs ! Back to "Setups" to check the skins that were well affected indeed .

- went back to my prj , "Replace" the 2 instances ; Skins were back but dropouts as well !

Am i the only one ???

WIN7x64 , I7 4470K @ 4.1 , 24 gig Corsair , SSD + other Drives
Thierr7

Postby Tim Petherick » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Will look into this asap!

Could you check your Ram usage in Task manager when skins are loaded. Edit-I just seen you've got 24 gig, so it's probably not that.

Cheers.

Ps your welcome to P.m any info regarding this

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:02 pm

Thank You !

Not a big deal anyway , programs are working fine with other skins ...
Thierr7

Postby musicforlife » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:18 am

guys check this little sound clip i did... in other forum...

using the tape to drive the amp front end like a "pedal" or something like that ... enjoy the saturation ... warm fat and delicious sound of tape!

:roll: tks Tim... we don't deserve... but thanks anyway.. and please give me some more guitar stuff man!!!

:|

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/tweak ... =300#14147
musicforlife
User Level II
User Level II

Postby prosodio » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:15 pm

You got that distortion only with j37? It seems you´ve crunched the sound with another device, have you? This tape is in the subtle distortion side, in fact, Tim said he will release some fuzz presets in a near future... if I´m mistaken please, tell how you did to get that crunchy tone only with j37....

thanks!!!
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries