Login

37J classic valve tape machine released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: 37J classic valve tape machine released!

Postby sfabs » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 am

dennyhellbach wrote:
sfabs wrote:

Is it possible to do this in Cubase 8.5 (2 instances on the stereo buss (left and right)? I never heard of it that you can put 2 mono instances on a stereo track and I'm curious. Thanks for the help!

Denny

No Denny, it is not possible in Cubase as standard. You need to use a vst plugin to do this. There are many out there.

Blue cat audio have Patchworks
I've used Metaplugin by DDMF

google plugin chainer VST and loads of options come up[/quote]

Thank you! Never heard of it - very interesting. Are there any other Nebula-Libraries that work that way? Greetings!

Denny[/quote]

Hi Denny

Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I believe the Nebula envelope can only react to 1 channel. So technically ALL libraries are like that.
This doesnt matter with an EQ as you usually want both left and right channels boosted/ cut by the same amount.

With a pre-amp or tape you may like the saturation amount to be dependant on each channel, therefore you split left and right and use an instance on each channel... you may want to do the same with a compressor (you may not as some argue this can affect the stereo field). Some EQ's feature a dynamic stage sampled as well... Tim P Gyrator for example, so you may want to split this as well.

you may also split into mid and side and treat differently, this can be a cool with tape saturation (there are no rules).

dont take this the wrong way but this probably isnt the correct forum for this question as this thread is a focus for the 37J. I would put these questions or search for similar in "working with Nebula" section, everyone will help there too, this site is incredibly positive and helpful
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby deehope » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:07 pm

how are most of you guys using this? Is the standard program if you want subtle coloration with no saturation?
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby robschroeder » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:28 pm

I use standard for subtle coloration. Emphasis only when I want saturation or simply cutting highs. I always split signal in L/R to always use two channels of the tape (with different channel settings) regardless of if I use saturation or not.
Freelance Composer & Producer
Nebula 3 Pro | MFC | 4KC | SP79 | Sum 100a | CAL DL1656 | Silk EQ 259b | 37J Tape | Cadpan | Raybon & Wyte Filters | VNXTe140 | Orange | Green | Pink | Lime
robschroeder
User Level X
User Level X

Postby deehope » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:41 pm

robschroeder wrote:I use standard for subtle coloration. Emphasis only when I want saturation or simply cutting highs. I always split signal in L/R to always use two channels of the tape (with different channel settings) regardless of if I use saturation or not.

Awesome. Appreciate the response. I thought I was losing it when people said it was subtle and everything I ran through it was instantly dark. Standard is perfect.
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby robschroeder » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:46 pm

deehope wrote:I thought I was losing it when people said it was subtle and everything I ran through it was instantly dark. Standard is perfect.

Don't get troubled by that - this happens when you use saturation. Just put an instance of the Silk EQ after it and gain the highs back and you are fine.
Freelance Composer & Producer
Nebula 3 Pro | MFC | 4KC | SP79 | Sum 100a | CAL DL1656 | Silk EQ 259b | 37J Tape | Cadpan | Raybon & Wyte Filters | VNXTe140 | Orange | Green | Pink | Lime
robschroeder
User Level X
User Level X

Postby deehope » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:51 pm

robschroeder wrote:
deehope wrote:I thought I was losing it when people said it was subtle and everything I ran through it was instantly dark. Standard is perfect.

Don't get troubled by that - this happens when you use saturation. Just put an instance of the Silk EQ after it and gain the highs back and you are fine.

Great minds think alike lol.. it's like adding another texture
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:29 pm

De-emphasis require pre emphasis channel before it, this means the highs start saturating first but it shouldn't mean it's dark in this combination as the preemphasis (bright) is mirroring the darkness of de-emphasis.

Of course as we start increasing the input the highs may start to darken, however when the input is low it should be fairly linear.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby harmonik » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Wondering why the routing workaround is needed for true stereo; didn't AlexB Poolteq achieve true stereo using one instance, or is that because it was an EQ and not using envelope follower?
harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

Postby deehope » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:De-emphasis require pre emphasis channel before it, this means the highs start saturating first but it shouldn't mean it's dark in this combination as the preemphasis (bright) is mirroring the darkness of de-emphasis.

Of course as we start increasing the input the highs may start to darken, however when the input is low it should be fairly linear.

Highs are instantly rolled off when i do it this way. Hitting it at 0vu, Is that too hard?
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby deehope » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Any reaper users know how to split the master buss so you can add seperate plugins to the left and right signal?
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries