Login

37J classic valve tape machine released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: 37J classic valve tape machine released!

Postby sfabs » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:04 pm

saastara wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed already but how does this compare to Tim's T-Tape?

Hi Saastara

It is a different beast but an equally impressive achievement. I really do recommend reading the whole thread. You will see how excited users are and what sources they are using it for etc.

I think you will come to the conclusion that you will want this tape. The enthusiasm around this release is exceptional and it is all justified.

Hope this helps
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby botus99 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:38 pm

In regards to T-Tape vs 37J, they're both fantastic. Neither are better or worse. However, the 37J is a much more iconic and coveted sound. This is mostly because of the records it is associated with making.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby robschroeder » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:40 pm

So bought J37 yesterday and really loving it! Just want to make sure that I understood everything right. As far as I understood J37 itself is 'mono' so for a stereo instance I need a seperate instance per channel.

J37.jpg

So I used it on a stereo drumloop in Studio One 3. With the internal routing I splitted the audio signal in L/R and inserted on each side as first an instance with Pre-emphasis (L Channel 2, R Channel 3) after that for each side an instance of de-emphasis saturation. And after that again on each side a FLAT instance for more coloration. So in general this should be right? Or did I miss something?
Freelance Composer & Producer
Nebula 3 Pro | MFC | 4KC | SP79 | Sum 100a | CAL DL1656 | Silk EQ 259b | 37J Tape | Cadpan | Raybon & Wyte Filters | VNXTe140 | Orange | Green | Pink | Lime
robschroeder
User Level X
User Level X

Postby sfabs » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:55 am

Bang on yes!

you obviously dont need the 3rd instance (Flat saturation) unless you require more colour.

You are correct about 1 per channel for stereo use as the library responds dynamically to the input, so with an L and R instance you get a different response per channel (unless your source is mono.

Have you looked at the graphs Tim put up about each of the 4 channels (selectable) frequency response? You'll find channels 2 and 3 have a similar frequency response and 1 and 4 have a similar frequency response, so i tend to use these together. I select by source requirements... 1 + 4 have lifted top end whilst 2 + 3 have a rounded top end (check the graphs Tim put up)
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby robschroeder » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks for your input!

Yep I know that the 3rd instance is not really neccessary but i just wanted to check the additional flavor. I also checked the graphs by Tim and am still experimenting with the different colours on different tracks ... really amazing stuff and so much possible flavors ... :D
Nebula 3 Pro | MFC | 4KC | SP79 | Sum 100a | CAL DL1656 | Silk EQ 259b | 37J Tape | Cadpan | Raybon & Wyte Filters | VNXTe140 | Orange | Green | Pink | Lime
robschroeder
User Level X
User Level X

Postby dennyhellbach » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:45 pm

robschroeder wrote:So bought J37 yesterday and really loving it! Just want to make sure that I understood everything right. As far as I understood J37 itself is 'mono' so for a stereo instance I need a seperate instance per channel.

J37.jpg

So I used it on a stereo drumloop in Studio One 3. With the internal routing I splitted the audio signal in L/R and inserted on each side as first an instance with Pre-emphasis (L Channel 2, R Channel 3) after that for each side an instance of de-emphasis saturation. And after that again on each side a FLAT instance for more coloration. So in general this should be right? Or did I miss something?

Is it possible to do this in Cubase 8.5 (2 instances on the stereo buss (left and right)? I never heard of it that you can put 2 mono instances on a stereo track and I'm curious. Thanks for the help!

Denny
dennyhellbach
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby robschroeder » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:53 pm

What I have done there is a routing feature using a channel splitter of Presonus Studio One. Don't know if Cubase is capable to do this.
robschroeder
User Level X
User Level X

Postby sfabs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:53 pm

[/quote]

Is it possible to do this in Cubase 8.5 (2 instances on the stereo buss (left and right)? I never heard of it that you can put 2 mono instances on a stereo track and I'm curious. Thanks for the help!

Denny[/quote]

No Denny, it is not possible in Cubase as standard. You need to use a vst plugin to do this. There are many out there.

Blue cat audio have Patchworks
I've used Metaplugin by DDMF

google plugin chainer VST and loads of options come up
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dennyhellbach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:15 am

sfabs wrote:

Denny[/quote]

No Denny, it is not possible in Cubase as standard. You need to use a vst plugin to do this. There are many out there.

Blue cat audio have Patchworks
I've used Metaplugin by DDMF

google plugin chainer VST and loads of options come up[/quote]

Thank you! Never heard of it - very interesting. Are there any other Nebula-Libraries that work that way? Greetings!

Denny
dennyhellbach
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby bryan7nebula » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Ableton can split Stereo natively within the plugin chain.
Here are the instructions from Ableton Forum:
1. On the track containing a stereo file, create an Audio Effect Rack
2. In the Rack, create two chains, called "Left" and "Right"
3. Put a Utility on each chain
4. For the Left chain, set the Channel Mode chooser to Left
5. For the Right Chain, set the Channel Mode chooser to Right
6. Pan the respective chains all the way to their respective sides, either in the chain mixer or in the Utilities.
7. To compensate for the volume boost caused by Live's pan law, lower the volume of each chain by -3.01 dB (again, either in the chain mixer or in the Utility devices.

It seems like a lot of steps, but I was able to do it in a few minutes. The cool part is, once you build this splitter once, you can save it and use it for whatever effects you wish. Some people use these "racks" to split frequency ranges as well. Ableton is pretty darn flexible with this kind of stuff. I don't think Ableton is great for Acquas, though (on PC). The CPU seems to be high and some of them crackle and aren't usable. Nebulas however, work great, and I am able to get The CPU very low. Last night I had 37J Tape, AlexB console, AlexB full eq, and two of Tim's compressors on a track, using only 5 or 6 percent cpu. Nice. :)

I'll stick with Nebulas for now. New Aquamarine sounds great, but it eats too much CPU for me. Perhaps for mastering it would be good, though.
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries