Login

37J classic valve tape machine released!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: 37J classic valve tape machine released!

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:24 am

musicforlife wrote::shock:

what this thing can do on el. guitars is just Amazing

im very impressed... thanks for this awesome release mate!

can only hope to see guitar stuff release from you like cabs and etc...

people should just buy anything that you release mate.. for real!

:geek:

Cheers! I'll try to remember to do more guitar stuff....
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby drezz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:11 pm

Another amazing release.

I work with tape all the time, and to me, this is the closest anyone has got so far ITB. I was looking forward with anticipation for this release, and spoke with Tim over the course of it's construction. To say he puts an awful lot of effort into his libraries would be an understatement. The attention to detail is staggering. There was a whole rebuild on the saturation side of things as Tim was dissatisfied with the result (it was already good, but improvement was possible, so it was deemed to hold off on release and make improvements until something deserving of this library was achieved, and i believe the result is something unique so far in tape emulation/sampling).
If used in the way described by Tim...........

"To USE: Load a Pre-emphasis channel instance (you'll notice this is bright) followed by a de-emphasis saturation Instance (rectifies the brightness),Increase input to desired result, Then if you wish to saturate more and saturate the lows add a flat saturation as a 3rd instance. The input is using nebula's G drive (volume compensation, output reduces as input is increased), there is a chance you'll hear the level go down as you increase the input, this is simply because the preset is increasing in compression as the output goes down."

I used like this, with an instance of the 37J channel before the saturation instances, and it sounded fantastic. I know the sound of tape, and i know the sound of the tape emu's available ITB so far, and there are some good ones, but this library deserves some attention as it's really got something special. It's not going to be a 'crank it up and hear the fuzz' kind of thing, it's a lot more subtle than that, like a real machine.
It may seem complex with all the instances, but it's worth it as this emulates and reproduces all the subtle processes and stages that the sound goes through on an actual tape machine. It's very complex what's going on and therefore presents unique challenges to someone attempting an emulation in a digital environment.

I think Tim has come closer than anyone so far. A very excellent library. I'm loving it so far, cant stop listening to different tracks through it. Mixes sound great. Individual sounds really benefit. It's early days, but it just sounds good.
Last edited by drezz on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drezz

Postby drezz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Sorry, double post.
Last edited by drezz on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drezz

Postby Mordus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm

I love you!
Logic Pro X / Reaper / RME / Italian Handcrafted Loudspeakers
Mordus
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby UrbSgt » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Just bought it too. Anyone got suggestions for what to use each channel on. 4 seems more dimensional and smileyfaced, seems suitable for the 2bus. The other 3?

I like the hiss too. I could certainly loop it in reaper and send it out to all individual channels, but it would be handy with a small footprint wav player (with looping function and Wet/dry-knob) to put hiss where you want it, but something as simple as that doesn't seem to exist.
UrbSgt
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Thierr7 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:00 pm

It's a great tool for Guitars indeed (only tested on GT so far ...) Congrats !

- It's amazing to get such results with so tiny files!

- Will test on Mix and Busses...

- Amazing JPN Skins as usual . ;)
Thierr7

Postby xabilon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Tim Petherick wrote:Ok think I've fixed 48, download again, cheers!

It works :D

What I understand :

- I can use the 37J channel preset alone, for the harmonic character of the recorder channels
- I can use the 37J Comp/Sat Flat alone, for the tape compression/saturation only

Or I can use the two in combination, for a realistic use :

- 37J Channel --> 37J Comp/Sat Flat for the complete tape recorder without emphasis/de-emphasis
- 37J Channel PE ---> 37J Comp/Sat DE for the complete tape recoder with emphasis/de-emphasis

Am I right ?
xabilon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:36 pm

xabilon wrote:
Tim Petherick wrote:Ok think I've fixed 48, download again, cheers!

Or I can use the two in combination, for a realistic use :

- 37J Channel PE ---> 37J Comp/Sat DE for the complete tape recoder with emphasis/de-emphasis

Yes to the above. The flat saturation is to add more comp/sat on top of the already saturated sound.

I've givin the option of using the regular channel by its self, pretty much the standard way of other library's.

I'll put some graphs up so we can see what is happening.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:43 pm

UrbSgt wrote:Just bought it too. Anyone got suggestions for what to use each channel on. 4 seems more dimensional and smileyfaced, seems suitable for the 2bus. The other 3?

I like the hiss too. I could certainly loop it in reaper and send it out to all individual channels, but it would be handy with a small footprint wav player (with looping function and Wet/dry-knob) to put hiss where you want it, but something as simple as that doesn't seem to exist.

I've been thinking about this too. I have a idea to make something in vst builder. We will see...

In terms of channels 1 and 4 are more similar response to the two track c37 from what I remember to have seen. Which is that sheen sound.

Interesting I found this video yesterday https://youtu.be/ccpHUbFwN3I

Despite the YouTube quality I think we can get a sense of how great these machines were for their time!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby ceemusic » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Regarding this-

"NOTE;Nebulas evf is mono only, in the case of using saturation on a stereo instance we should create Left and right instances in program like meta plugin."

Does this mean necessary for all stereo mixes or material? What is evf?
i7 5820k·RAM 32GB DDR4·1TB HD x3·500GB SSD x2·Video HD-5450 1GB·Win 10 x64·RME FF400·Cubase-VEPro6-S1-Sonar
ceemusic
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries