Login

The most colorful preamps

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

The most colorful preamps

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:55 pm

What are the most colorful preamps available that truly imparts a character to the sound?

Most preamps I've tested are subtle, not bad but I would like something more pronounced.

I have all of Henry Os collection, a few of Alex Bs consoles plus the PC&S and a console from CDS, plus the factory of course.

Looking for opinions as I haven't went through all of them. Looking for best settings as well in how to get the sound out of these preamps.

Working on my first full song using Nebula 3us and Acquas exclusively. It's a soul/blues record, so far the MFC punch and air along with the ATR tape has nailed the wanted texture but the vocals mainly could use a bit of color.

My chain is a Avantone CV12 through a digi002 through adat into my old creamware cards, then amethyst for slight compression. I'm hoping to add some tape to the vocals with CDS Ampex collection using mm1100 as suggested by others, but I haven't laid down the cash just yet.
Last edited by THAPRODUCERZ on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Re: The most colorful preamps

Postby RJHollins » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:48 pm

Just a reminder ...

Stacking multiple PreAmps or LINE, [of the same] is always an option.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:21 pm

^+1. goes for any program or combination of programs for that matter...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:35 pm

hmm, lol :lol: , yes forgot about doing that, something to look forward to trying tonight.
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ryancost » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:41 pm

I love most of HO's stuff, the colorful ones I find to be Drawmer, Cheswick, E*I, T*****t, and his Tube pre but they're all good. From other third parties I like the AITB Fate Line In, and check out the Signal To Noise console Line In/Mic for that pacifica kind of sound. The free CDS Mullard Lo Gain is great. Also, the demo AlexB compressors are good for adding color, don't even need to compress to get a good effect - N65, N54, MTD, VTD.
ryancost
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:04 am

I will try these as well tonight, i have quite a few selections, too many lol

THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Postby UrbSgt » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:50 am

Color/vibe:

Magenta
Peq (signal to noize)
American 512c (signal to noize)
Mixing Filters 2 (cupwise)
Titan 2 pre medium (Henry Olonga)
UrbSgt
User Level II
User Level II

Postby kindafishy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:27 am

Does it have to be colour just from pres? Your song and style will dictate what will work of course. For rock, I have used HO MIC U47 with HO PRE V72 to great effect.

Also check out the CDSM Vintage Tube Collection. Endless goodness in there. http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... tcneb.html
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Shibata » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:06 am

If you want magic on lows, try to AlexB Thermionic Phoenix Mix Compressor with Siemens tubes. Copy preset from 3 to 5 times or by taste. But not compress. Important thing - nebula internal buffer, must be 128 and youre audio buffer the same or lower.

I've found that for colour and for that hardware sound, work best not pre's but full chain eq, built in the position, when all bands with ND go first and the last band is HQ. Especially nice sound in that chain the M****y massive passive from Alex and all his eq as well. Very good alternative to pre is Tim's Gyrator, because its dynamic and there famous Marinair transistors, which was on old N**e 1073. The most profit from that sound is 96k version ( even with SR ) and 128 nebula buffer. But is very heavy on CPU.
Shibata
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby theheliosequence » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:33 am

Shibata wrote:If you want magic on lows, try to AlexB Thermionic Phoenix Mix Compressor with Siemens tubes. Copy preset from 3 to 5 times or by taste. But not compress. Important thing - nebula internal buffer, must be 128 and youre audio buffer the same or lower.

I've found that for colour and for that hardware sound, work best not pre's but full chain eq, built in the position, when all bands with ND go first and the last band is HQ. Especially nice sound in that chain the M****y massive passive from Alex and all his eq as well. Very good alternative to pre is Tim's Gyrator, because its dynamic and there famous Marinair transistors, which was on old N**e 1073. The most profit from that sound is 96k version ( even with SR ) and 128 nebula buffer. But is very heavy on CPU.

Why would a shorter Nebula buffer increase sound quality?
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, Burl Mothership
Nebula 3 Server, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Blue, Emerald, Green, Honey, Ivory, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp Bundle, Purple Bundle, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White
theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries