Login

Input & drive slider with Alex B's programs/libraries

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Input & drive slider with Alex B's programs/libraries

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:49 am

Since I've bought Alex B's CLC, VBC and MBC, I only used the
input and output knobs for gain staging/trim.
His manual states that using the drive slider 'affects the harmonics
in an unnatural way', which I would guess, that the original representation of a certain preamp is being defeated.
However, I couldn't help noticing that subtle use of the drive slider with these preamps actually add more weight to a signal, especially close-mic'ed instruments (love it on close mic'ed drums!)
This effect is most noticable with the VBC and SC1081.
The BP-program of the Pultec library does a similar thing.
By finding a pleasing balance between the harmonics and the curve that the input and drive generate, is something that no other plugin
can recreate.
I was wondering if some of you guys have also been experimenting with this.
Does this also apply to the PCS-library? (When cranking up the input and drive to a certain balance, which alters the harmonics and curve)
If so, I'll buy the PCS immediately!
Would very much like to hear your findings.
dpclarkson

Re: Input & drive slider with Alex B's programs/libraries

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:14 am

Well you shouldn't look at the inputs and outputs as something that will automatically be a detriment. Simply look at them as part of the gain staging. So really it should read as "once the levels are set right going into Nebula any further 'pushing' of the signal with the in/out sliders will create an unnatural response. This is the gist of it. The "Drive" is solely dependent on the dev's library. Some libraries are created to convey the correct harmonics right at default 0. Some are made to have some play. And further some dev's even make some presets which are lready set for you to their optimum setting. Also: if it sounds right, it's right! 8-)
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby musicgreator » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:56 am

what exactly do the input and output sliders? Their not part of the program right? From my understanding the input slider just decreases or increases the signal going into the program. But you can only increase the volume until it hits zero right?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:04 pm

The input knob/slider increases or decreases the amount of harmonics.
I think it also depends on the way each library is being created.
It differs with each developer, I guess.
dpclarkson

Postby musicgreator » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:15 pm

does it really change the amount of harmonics or does just the higher level increase the amount of harmonics? What i really mean is, does it change anything in the program or is it just for trimming the input to prevent clipping.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby yr » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 pm

musicgreator wrote:does it really change the amount of harmonics or does just the higher level increase the amount of harmonics? What i really mean is, does it change anything in the program or is it just for trimming the input to prevent clipping.

"Input" is a simple gain slider. Used in conjunction with a dynamic preset it controls how "hot" you are hitting the sampled hardware (which in turn affects THD levels & structure). "Drive" can be used to increase saturation independently from the input level.

There is nothing wrong with using the drive parameter if it gives you the sound you are after, but it's good to remember a couple of things: by using the "drive" you are artificially increasing THD levels, which doesn't mimic the behavior of the hardware. Another point is, that many presets have a rather limited headroom before ringing/generating artifacts. By increasing the drive you are also decreasing your "headroom before ringing".

In short, "how" and "when" to use the drive depends of course on your taste, but also on the preset (headroom) and the audio-levels.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dpclarkson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18 pm

In short, "how" and "when" to use the drive depends of course on your taste, but also on the preset (headroom) and the audio-levels.

What Yuval said..
dpclarkson

Postby faun2500 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:44 am

yr wrote:
musicgreator wrote:does it really change the amount of harmonics or does just the higher level increase the amount of harmonics? What i really mean is, does it change anything in the program or is it just for trimming the input to prevent clipping.

"Input" is a simple gain slider. Used in conjunction with a dynamic preset it controls how "hot" you are hitting the sampled hardware (which in turn affects THD levels & structure). "Drive" can be used to increase saturation independently from the input level.

There is nothing wrong with using the drive parameter if it gives you the sound you are after, but it's good to remember a couple of things: by using the "drive" you are artificially increasing THD levels, which doesn't mimic the behavior of the hardware. Another point is, that many presets have a rather limited headroom before ringing/generating artifacts. By increasing the drive you are also decreasing your "headroom before ringing".

Very well summed up YR!
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to 3rd party libraries