Login

Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby kindafishy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:47 pm

RJHollins wrote:There are plenty of choices ... Nebula and Acqua.

I'm not clear on what you want.

Do you want broad curves? Surgical with vari-Q?
Broad is not a target, so yeah, I suppose something more medium to surgical would be good. Variable Q is optional, but definitely nice.

My main purpose will very likely be late in a mix where I want to do some final polishing moves with cohesive adjustments across either instrument sub-buses or the mix bus. This is why I am looking for clean and pristine. By this point, I have already built my mix character and I don't want to alter it necessarily.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mordus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:26 pm

Nice suggestions,

I've recently purchased Ely-X and I like it a lot, but i find myself using it for the low cut filter and for the highs. The mid bands are good, but not exactly clean in a mix bus, just my opinion.

Another library I like to use is the A5M from AlexB. A fantastic machine! Have no Q control and of course is not transparent, but sounds very clean. I like to call it an "intelligent" eq: it just boost or cut things that you want to hear (or not).
Logic Pro X / Reaper / RME / Italian Handcrafted Loudspeakers
Mordus
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:32 pm

ok ...

well ... there are still so many choices.

Libraries like ELY [which is really excellent], is a broader curved shaper. Nonetheless ... very effective.

I do avoid saying, you gotta buy this or that EQ plugin. For specific reasons.

To that, there are 'specialized' EQ's that have been favored with mastering work. Scarlet, Green, Ivory are a few Acqua candidates of the 'clean, not sterile' persuasion.

But there are plenty of Nebula libraries ... some considered more from Console EQ's ... S*L, N**e ... even A*I. AlexB's 4K-eq is one I pulled up last nite on a mastering session, in particular, the Hi/Low pass filters. I even pulled in a mid-range boost, and low-mid cut preset. It might not be considered a 'mastering equalizer' ... but I was quite happy with the result [and control]. I still needed some Q control in the LOW band, so had to call on another library.

Here is the point ... with NEBULA, many libraries contain a 'clean' or 'non-harmonic' preset. It might be assumed that these are of lesser quality, or not preferred ... but that would be FAR from the truth.

Many many times, the 'non-harmonic' presets will be the majority that I call in on a session. On the other hand ... I've also had sessions that were overwhelming 'harmonic' presets. This is what I like about Nebula design ... custom harmonic/saturation choices by the engineer based on the projects needs or taste.

That said ... now you have even more options :shock: and is why difficult to suggest this one or that :P

maybe I didn't help how you hoped :|
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Mordus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Yes,... lot of choices... Totally agree with you RJHollins
Logic Pro X / Reaper / RME / Italian Handcrafted Loudspeakers
Mordus
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWANG » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:09 pm

ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby kindafishy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:36 am

Mordus wrote:Nice suggestions,

I've recently purchased Ely-X and I like it a lot, but i find myself using it for the low cut filter and for the highs. The mid bands are good, but not exactly clean in a mix bus, just my opinion.

Another library I like to use is the A5M from AlexB. A fantastic machine! Have no Q control and of course is not transparent, but sounds very clean. I like to call it an "intelligent" eq: it just boost or cut things that you want to hear (or not).
Great! I have been demoing the A5M as well. Even though it is only 1 band... wow. Sounds great. I don't think it is exactly what I am after, but I might just grab it anyway as another EQ. It is as you describe. I find Pink to be intelligent in that way as well.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby kindafishy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:07 am

RJHollins wrote:ok ...

well ... there are still so many choices.

Libraries like ELY [which is really excellent], is a broader curved shaper. Nonetheless ... very effective.

I do avoid saying, you gotta buy this or that EQ plugin. For specific reasons.

To that, there are 'specialized' EQ's that have been favored with mastering work. Scarlet, Green, Ivory are a few Acqua candidates of the 'clean, not sterile' persuasion.

But there are plenty of Nebula libraries ... some considered more from Console EQ's ... S*L, N**e ... even A*I. AlexB's 4K-eq is one I pulled up last nite on a mastering session, in particular, the Hi/Low pass filters. I even pulled in a mid-range boost, and low-mid cut preset. It might not be considered a 'mastering equalizer' ... but I was quite happy with the result [and control]. I still needed some Q control in the LOW band, so had to call on another library.

Here is the point ... with NEBULA, many libraries contain a 'clean' or 'non-harmonic' preset. It might be assumed that these are of lesser quality, or not preferred ... but that would be FAR from the truth.

Many many times, the 'non-harmonic' presets will be the majority that I call in on a session. On the other hand ... I've also had sessions that were overwhelming 'harmonic' presets. This is what I like about Nebula design ... custom harmonic/saturation choices by the engineer based on the projects needs or taste.

That said ... now you have even more options :shock: and is why difficult to suggest this one or that :P

maybe I didn't help how you hoped :|
.5 to 1 Q is likely plenty for me because I am using this at the mix stage so indeed, if I need to get much more "surgical" than this, I will likely go down to the track level to do it. This EQ will be more for things like just a gentle mud cut or lifting the overall top end ever so slightly and that sort of thing.

I am very much covered on the top and bottom with White. It is an astonishingly beautiful EQ. Quite clean, but it does have a certain depth to it that is wonderful. Magic.

I very much understand not making direct recommendations. Everyone is different and your gold may be my lead. Just general thoughts and ideas like what you have shared are perfect, and then I can go let my own ears decide what works best for my ears.

GREAT point on the non-harmonic presets. I shall definitely keep that in mind!
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby kindafishy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:09 am

SWANG wrote:i'm just gonna leave this here:

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-software-online/SONGTEC-Neb.html
I am a big fan of Michael's work. Thanks for this suggestion.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby SWANG » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:29 am

8-)
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:04 am

kindafishy wrote:As subject says, I am interested in getting anyone's recommendations for a bus EQ.

Can be Acqua or Nebula.

Must haves:

- Ultra clean, meaning that it is not a character EQ itself. A tiny bit is okay, but it will most often be used late in a mix on a bus, so I don't want any mix characteristics to change because I engaged an EQ. An eensy weensie bit is alright as long as it the remaining must haves are met.

- Maintains mix integrity, meaning that my carefully positioned elements that sit distinctly in a 3d space are not collapsed into a 2d space like what happens when algo EQs are used.

- Absolute pristine, top quality, audiophile grade sound. No compromises.

- Fully parametric or with many choices for frequency.

Nice bonuses that I can live without:

- Adjustable Q so it is good for both "sonic surgery" and "broad sweetening".

- HP/LP filters.

- M/S processing.

Thanks!

wouldn't Scarlet qualify as a really good and clean acqua,
and now it will get even better because its going core8 very soon
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries