Login

Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby kindafishy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:02 pm

As subject says, I am interested in getting anyone's recommendations for a bus EQ.

Can be Acqua or Nebula.

Must haves:

- Ultra clean, meaning that it is not a character EQ itself. A tiny bit is okay, but it will most often be used late in a mix on a bus, so I don't want any mix characteristics to change because I engaged an EQ. An eensy weensie bit is alright as long as it the remaining must haves are met.

- Maintains mix integrity, meaning that my carefully positioned elements that sit distinctly in a 3d space are not collapsed into a 2d space like what happens when algo EQs are used.

- Absolute pristine, top quality, audiophile grade sound. No compromises.

- Fully parametric or with many choices for frequency.


Nice bonuses that I can live without:

- Adjustable Q so it is good for both "sonic surgery" and "broad sweetening".

- HP/LP filters.

- M/S processing.

Thanks!
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby Mordus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:36 pm

lol... a lot of requeriments...

I use different kinds of eq depending on the task. If a broadband sweetening is needed I'll probably use a different machine than a surgically clean one used to remove very localized problems. Just my point.
Logic Pro X / Reaper / RME / Italian Handcrafted Loudspeakers
User avatar
Mordus
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby ceemusic » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Not Acqua or Nebula but I'd also check out DMG's Equilibrium.
Works well for tracks or mastering plus great when combined with Acqua or Nebula libraries.
i7 5820k·RAM 32GB DDR4·1TB HD x3·500GB SSD x2·Video HD-5450 1GB·Win 10 x64·RME FF400·Cubase-VEPro6-S1-Sonar
ceemusic
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 pm

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby kindafishy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Mordus wrote:lol... a lot of requeriments...

I use different kinds of eq depending on the task. If a broadband sweetening is needed I'll probably use a different machine than a surgically clean one used to remove very localized problems. Just my point.

Indeed lots of requirements. I know what I want :). I have CDSM Nice EQ that I already use for broad sweetening, but it is not able to get very specific. Looking for another tool to compliment my current tools (as you alluded to).
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby kindafishy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:49 pm

ceemusic wrote:Not Acqua or Nebula but I'd also check out DMG's Equilibrium.
Works well for tracks or mastering plus great when combined with Acqua or Nebula libraries.

Great suggestion. I already have this :). Perhaps I don't need to look elsewhere. I will spend more time with it. For some reason, I always forget about this plugin.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby Mordus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:01 pm

kindafishy wrote:
Mordus wrote:lol... a lot of requeriments...

I use different kinds of eq depending on the task. If a broadband sweetening is needed I'll probably use a different machine than a surgically clean one used to remove very localized problems. Just my point.

Indeed lots of requirements. I know what I want :). I have CDSM Nice EQ that I already use for broad sweetening, but it is not able to get very specific. Looking for another tool to compliment my current tools (as you alluded to).

Sorry, it was an obvious point. And probably an unnecessary post...

Anyway, an interesting topic.
Logic Pro X / Reaper / RME / Italian Handcrafted Loudspeakers
User avatar
Mordus
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:17 pm

AlexB Ely X is my choice for buses and master bus EQ when needed. It's incredibly transparent but has that analog vibe we all love from Nebula EQs. It's sampled in stereo so you get that extra bit of randomness between left and right which can do wonders on the stereo image. The Q isn't as surgical as you might probably need but I find it narrow enough for tweaking things here and there with precision. To be honest, I was really never a fan of master bus EQs because I couldn't find one I felt comfortable with, both in sound and versatility, but this Ely X really impressed me, love on first sight :D
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
User avatar
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby kindafishy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:AlexB Ely X is my choice for buses and master bus EQ when needed. It's incredibly transparent but has that analog vibe we all love from Nebula EQs. It's sampled in stereo so you get that extra bit of randomness between left and right which can do wonders on the stereo image. The Q isn't as surgical as you might probably need but I find it narrow enough for tweaking things here and there with precision. To be honest, I was really never a fan of master bus EQs because I couldn't find one I felt comfortable with, both in sound and versatility, but this Ely X really impressed me, love on first sight :D
Thanks David. Richie also recommended this one to me. I am giving it very serious consideration. He praises it as highly as you do. I grabbed the demo a couple days ago, but there is not a lot that can be done with it. This may be what I end up going for though.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby kindafishy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Mordus wrote:Sorry, it was an obvious point. And probably an unnecessary post...

Anyway, an interesting topic.
It's all good! Just a conversation and your point was very valid.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Looking for mix bus EQ recommendations

Postby RJHollins » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:37 pm

There are plenty of choices ... Nebula and Acqua.

I'm not clear on what you want.

Do you want broad curves? Surgical with vari-Q?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests